Thread: 7mm-08 Nosler accubond Long Range info

Default 7mm-08 Nosler accubond Long Range info

I have been looking at the new Nosler Accubond Long Range bullet in 7mm. I was thinking about using this bullet in a 7mm-08. Doing the math if I can get the 150gr Accubond Long range to shoot good at about 2600 FPS "i'm not greedy, but like more around 2700 fps" it would make the rifle a 1200 yard rifle. Now I have no interest in shooting that far, but it is nice to know that it would open up at any distance i would be normally shooting at under 400 yards or so. Im just wondering if the ogive is going to be to long to load in a short action rifle. Anyone have any info on this bullet heck even rumors would be great. I would load with either RL-15 if it shoots good.

A problem with ALL high BC bullets is the long ogive. They don't fit well in a standard magazine when loaded close to the lands. When you get them to fit in the magazine, they stick way into the case taking up valuable powder room. If you have a voluminous case, like the 7mm Rem mag, 300 win, 300 RUM and the like, you can sacrifice some powder room. In a shorter case, you have less to spare. I would think that sticking that long bullet was inside the case would give you less velocity and negate the increased BC. The standard accubond has a good BC too and will likely be a bit shorter.

Is your goal to shoot 1200 yards or to shoot 400 yards? Not sure from your post. At 400 yards, the increased BC won't mean a lot. Have you put them into a ballistics calculator? At 1200 yards, it would be interesting to see it the lower velocity of the LR would be made up by the high BC.

To my knowledge they are not on the street yet, due for release this spring. I have a 280AI and have been eyeing them as well. I'm going to attempt to push mine with Reloader 17. I have had great success with both R17 and Accubonds.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Daved View Post
    A problem with ALL high BC bullets is the long ogive. They don't fit well in a standard magazine when loaded close to the lands. When you get them to fit in the magazine, they stick way into the case taking up valuable powder room. If you have a voluminous case, like the 7mm Rem mag, 300 win, 300 RUM and the like, you can sacrifice some powder room. In a shorter case, you have less to spare. I would think that sticking that long bullet was inside the case would give you less velocity and negate the increased BC. The standard accubond has a good BC too and will likely be a bit shorter.

Is your goal to shoot 1200 yards or to shoot 400 yards? Not sure from your post. At 400 yards, the increased BC won't mean a lot. Have you put them into a ballistics calculator? At 1200 yards, it would be interesting to see it the lower velocity of the LR would be made up by the high BC.
    I really only plan on shooting 400 and that is if I really have to. I was afraid that with the short case that I would lose a lot of powder space. I would like these to hit the market so I can give them a good once over and a few hundred rounds to see if I like them. At 400 yards the B.C will not be a lot, I just like the opening speed. The accubond is 1800 and pushing 140gr accubond at 2700 will give me 2000 or so at 400 yards. To be honest that would be my max range, because of bullet opening. I like to keep 200fps above the min. It has been my experience that bullet makes tend to make there minimum to where it almost doesn't open at all.

When loading high BC In my 300 RUM to just off the lands, the COAL is too long to fit the mag box. So what I do is just put one down so I have 1 back up if needed. Any game animal I've taken has never needed a second shot although I did put a couple of extra rounds through a Bighorn once, but they weren't really needed and I had plenty of time to single load if needed. I'm building another 300 RUM with a little shorter throat and an extended mag box to fit the cartridges.

Not sure how you reload in relation to the lands, but that might also play a part in your COAL. The LR bullets will have a narrower ogve so to get close to the lands, they'll need to be seated farther out. That said the 7mm 150 has an AOL of 1.38 which is in between the current 140 and 160. If you do need to seat in the case a little, it shouldn't be too big of a deal, especially if you use RL17. I've heard good things about it in the 7-08

http://www.nosler.com/Bullets/AccuBond_LongRange.aspx

http://www.nosler.com/bullets/accubond.aspx
    "You will never know how much it cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it."
    ~ John Quincy Adams

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

IF, when seating to the OAL you choose, for whatever reason you choose it, the Ogive of the bullet is not inside the neck, I wouldn't worry about it.

MR:

Do you find that seating close to the lands, always results in better accuracy?

SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Smitty, to tell you the truth, almost all my reloading has been about .020 off the lands give or take. I have done very little experimenting with longer jumps. With my 7 RM my hand loads, usually shot about .75 with factory shooting about 1 - 1.5. With my Sendero 25-06 with a long throat. It shot everything well, .5 factory with big jump and my handloads just off the lands. Same with my 300 RUM, but my handloads shot a little better, .5 . I got a M70 Coyote 22-250 a couple of years ago and all I have shot out of it is the cheap Rem 45 gr JHP ammo and it shoots them .5 Not sure how far off the lands they are but guessing they're getting a good jump. I think it boils down to the individual rifle, chamber/throat, and load combination. Form what I read, it seems that folks tend to get better results with bullets closer to the lands on average.
    "You will never know how much it cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it."
    ~ John Quincy Adams

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
    Smitty, to tell you the truth, almost all my reloading has been about .020 off the lands give or take. I have done
    very little experimenting with longer jumps. With my 7 RM my hand loads, usually shot about .75 with factory shooting about 1 - 1.5. With my Sendero 25-06 with a long throat. It shot everything well, .5 factory with big jump and my handloads just off the lands. Same with my 300 RUM, but my handloads shot a little better, .5 . I got a M70 Coyote 22-250 a couple of years ago and all I have shot out of it is the cheap Rem 45 gr JHP ammo and it shoots them .5 Not sure how far off the lands they are but guessing they're getting a good jump. I think it boils down to the individual rifle, chamber/throat, and load combination. Form what I read, it seems that folks tend to get better results with bullets closer to the lands on average.
    Thanks.

.030 is usually close enough for me.

SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.