Thread: Bear Baiting Info

Default Bear Baiting Info

I have a question for all you seasoned baiters. This is my first year to bait and I set my bait last sunday. I just went and checked it today and nothing has even touched it. Should move or give it more time? I used some dried out bread, dog food, and molasses. Any input would be great, thank you.

Give it time and add some smell

Its early yet eh?

I'd go to your stand and have a nice bacon breckfast, then put the bacon dripping in there, bacon is good.

Good luck have patience
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Just give it time they will come. Jellow works well also

Be patient it is still very very early! To have had a bear find my bait (a newly established bait) before the end of the 1st week of May was a first. You will go and check and untouched bait with lots of anxiety and then all of a sudden the next time you go it'll be clobbered. We still have a couple weeks till things get good. I have noticed that things are starting to green up and that should get em going soon. Just like some of the others said make it smell good and they will come! The bear that visited my bait did not eat much and I suppose its because he/she has not gotten enough greens yet, once they get some greens in their gut and the digestive system starts working normal they'll be chowing. Slurping grease seems to sometimes get their guts going too. Its coming be patient!

Thanks for the info some one told be that burning honey works well. I might try that.

Talking Times

Where I bait it may take a week to 10 days for the bears to find the bait on PWS. I have tried bacon, hamburger grease, canned oyster juice and it all boils down to a favorite of Dad's dog food.

One that did seem to work was popcorn with raspberry jellow sprinkled on it as it came out. Bears really ate it up. Wasn't bad for the baiter either.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

A real good early bait is alfalfa cubes they need that fresh grass to get the insides working and the cubes smell real strong of fresh grass

Woody

I wonder how a dose of black oil sunflower seeds would work? They seem to work well in the residential areas!
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default My first bait took time

years ago in the valley. Second year a honey burn did the trick as the established bait didn't get hit at all until the burn. Yesterday I put out a couple hundred pounds of bait. Gotta keep em happy or they will move on, as I learned last year. I plan on adding 60-100pounds every trip. plus gotta account for birds and other animals finding it and having a lunch now and then.