Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kuiu / Mystery Ranch

Default Kuiu / Mystery Ranch

It is time to get a new pack. I am looking at the Kuiu Icon 7000 and the Mystery Ranch Kodiak. Both packs have spotting scope pockets and the ability to carry a rifle on the side. Does anyone own either one and have pros or cons for it? What I am looking for is, how the pack holds up, internal storage and how well it carries heavy loads. I plan on using the pack for 5+ day hunts to include a hike in caribou and hike in sheep hunt this year. I also looked at the Outdoorsmans pack with the load cell but am turned off by it because of the limited storage unless you use the load cell.

I barrowed a friends Barney's pack this year to carry a black bear hide and quarters out (one trip) and really liked it. The pack was pretty comfortable for the weight. The only down fall of the pack was lack of small pockets to keep stuff organized.

I've had an older version of both.... I prefer the Mystery Ranch hands down and still use it.

When you get into the 70lb range the heavier duty pack just worked better for me.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I got both, and will say the MR coming in at around 11lbs is heavy, it it gets wet..add a few more pounds to it, Great storage areas, good material and will handle heavy loads. Carried up to 70-75 with no issues..on the pack that was..I had problems..lol Great bag overall.

Bought the Kuiu..just because. I have the 5000 and love it. It is my main go to pack and weighs allot less..think around 6lbs or maybe a bit more. If you are a pocket junkie like me..this is the bag you will like. Very nice material, dries fast if it gets wet and even though I hear great things about the new frame for the bags.. I have the older one and dont have any issues hauling around 60-70lbs. Rides well and feels good. I like the entry points into the pack, zippers are good quality, plenty of straps, draws up nice and tight if you have 10lbs in it or 70 compression straps are great.Inner spandex pockets are great and I really enjoy the way they hold all my items.

Between me and a buddy.. I think we have tried about every bag out there..Barneys is a great bag and I cant remember the name of the other Alaskan company, but they make a great bag as well and I like that material as well. (little Green round patch) Have heard great reviews about them.

Got any specific questions..shoot me a PM
    Goog luck
    H
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

I currently use the Kodiak only downside is the empty weight of 10 pounds.Very well made and training with loads of 100lbs i get no sore spots.I do find that after 70 lbs or so you can't carry all the weight on just the hips but with the shoulder harness engaged it is alright like i said with no sore spots.
    The Kuiu ,Stone glacier and Kifaru are lighter and they just might fit you better try to sample a few. Most of the high end bags are made well enough to carry heavy loads.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckhunter01 View Post
    I cant remember the name of the other Alaskan company, but they make a great bag as well and I like that material as well. (little Green round patch) Have heard great reviews about them
    Alaska Range? http://akrange.com/
    "– Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Quote Originally Posted by Rock7 View Post

I barrowed a friends Barney's pack this year to carry a black bear hide and quarters out (one trip) and really liked it. The pack was pretty comfortable for the weight. The only down fall of the pack was lack of small pockets to keep stuff organized.
    I'm not sure which Barney's bag you were using... but he currently makes two versions of his pack with EIGHT pockets each. You need more than that?

Yk

You might want to have a look at the Kifaru Timberline, I just got mine last week and it is everything I want in a pack. This is my 3rd Kifaru pack and each has been great gear with a company that has outstanding customer service.

https://kifaru.net/timberline.html

I know guys that used to run the MR and they have changed over to Kifaru, the packs are very similar, with the Kifaru packs being much, much, lighter.

I love Kuiu gear and have a ton of it, their packs however have got more bad reviews than good. Before you buy check out the Kuiu forum and read some of the reviews and problems with the Kuiu packs.

My Timberline has a lower sleeping bag access, 2 pockets on the back, hydration sleeve, sleeves on each side for spotter and tripod. Mine weighs 6lbs

Kifaru packs come adjusted to fit your unique size and measurements, they are adjustable but come ready to wear out of the box. Kifaru packs are made to order and take 4 to 6 weeks, so keep that in mind.

Good Luck

Steve
    Last edited by stid2677; 02-03-2013 at 08:20.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Steve, will be anxious to hear your review of your new pack after you put it thru its paces.

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    Steve, will be anxious to hear your review of your new pack after you put it thru its paces.
    I'm sure the pack will be great, just not as sure about the guy wearing it. Luke used the same pack on our Kodiak trip and it sold me. I love the sleeves that allow quick access and storage of the spotter. I'm a pocket guy and really like having a few pockets to get to stuff without having to unpack and dig in the pack.
    Founding Member

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    I'm sure the pack will be great, just not as sure about the guy wearing it. Luke used the same pack on our Kodiak trip and it sold me. I love the sleeves that allow quick access and storage of the spotter. I'm a pocket guy and really like having a few pockets to get to stuff without having to unpack and dig in the pack.
    Based on your past history there probably is not a problem there.

I just got the kuiu 7000. I love the layout of the pack but the frame is taking some getting used to. Only had it on two short thirty minute hikes and by the end of the second one my lower back was in a lot of pain. Hoping that a few more pack adjustments and it will work. The pack empty eights just over 6 lbs and I was carrying about sixty pounds total in it. Great customer service with kuiu, after first hike I spent twenty minutes on phone with Brandon from kuiu who was very helpful.

Steve

DANG! That looks almost too purdy to get blood on!..... almost....

Seriously though, question... What top/"lid" did you go with? What's the total cubes?

A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    DANG! That looks almost too purdy to get blood on!..... almost....

Seriously though, question... What top/"lid" did you go with? What's the total cubes?
    I got the 7200 CI with the XTL lid- 600 cubic in. The weight difference between the 7200 and the 5200 is only a few ounces and after using both sizes I prefer the larger volume pack. I don't like stuff tied to the outside or hanging off the pack. It moves the center of gravity too far away from my body and snags on every bush you walk by or worst it falls off and you loose something.
    Founding Member

I got the 7200 CI with the XTL lid- 600 cubic in. The weight difference between the 7200 and the 5200 is only a few ounces and after using both sizes I prefer the larger volume pack. I don't like stuff tied to the outside or hanging off the pack. It moves the center of gravity too far away from my body and snags on every bush you walk by or worst it falls off and you loose something.
    Nice. I'm with you. I like stuff IN the pack, not Beverly Hillbilied

Do you have any idea what the difference is between the Timberline Duplex and the Timberline series? I can't see any differences.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    Nice. I'm with you. I like stuff IN the pack, not Beverly Hillbilied

Do you have any idea what the difference is between the Timberline Duplex and the Timberline series? I can't see any differences.
    The Duplex series has a frame and then you can use different bags. The Timberline bags have pockets and the side sleeves for spotting scopes.

This is a duplex frame with out the bag. This one has the CargoChair attached.

Founding Member

Stid,
    Does the timberline come with the 2 pockets the picture on the website has? Are there any internal pockets for small things like a compass/knife sharpener and other things that find a way to lose themselves in your pack?

Quote Originally Posted by Rock7 View Post
    Stid,
    Does the timberline come with the 2 pockets the picture on the website has? Are there any internal pockets for small things like a compass/knife sharpener and other things that find a way to lose themselves in your pack?
    Inside the pack it comes with a small zippered bag and depending on which lid you get a couple more. I have the XTL lid.

Founding Member

Did someone get their new pack already????
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    Did someone get their new pack already????
    Yes Sir!!!
    Founding Member

Yes Sir!!!
    Lead time? I may change my purchase after a little eyes on this week!
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast