Thread: Carrying equipment on a walking 'line

Default Carrying equipment on a walking 'line

Have been using a small/soft backpack, but have an old school reed basket - just not sure how well it would hold up in the deep cold in the interior.

Thoughts? Don't want to bugger it up.

why not use a pull behind sled like skiers use?
    I once held the yardstick of anothers perfection, I threw it down and carved my own................

Quote Originally Posted by thunder chicken1 View Post
    why not use a pull behind sled like skiers use?
    Get or manufacture a pulk.
    "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

I've gone to 90% snares! Makes my line so much faster and easier lighter to maintain. Most my line is a walking line. I keep everything in a small backpack.

exactly what I'm thinking of doing next year TC. short loops off my main line with a pull behind on xcountry skis.

You could I think pretty easily build your own pull behind out of uhmw, my motors have been cranking on the idea all winter if I keep the current line I'm on.

x-country ski's are a great option if the terrain allows because you can cover more ground faster and if you catch a few lynk a sled would be a better place to carry them especially since most animals that are dispatched alive will have plenty of fleas to share with you. A buddy of mine ran a line on ski's when he was in college and did quite well. You could use uhmv plastic but just a cheapo sled works fine, attach two small diameter pvc pipes on each side of the front of the sled by rope going through the pvc and attach to a belt to wear around your waist that way the sled won't go faster than you when you go down a hill lol...........
    I once held the yardstick of anothers perfection, I threw it down and carved my own................

Agreed. We use a inexpensive orange pull behind sled and bungie cord down 2 packs with gear. A lot easier and faster than humping the packs on and off. Although we're x/c skiers we use snowshoes and poles. Better traction, warmer boots, and greater mobility while making sets. The newer snowshoes are expensive but much better than the older styles as far as harness function and floatation.