Thread: Brilliant Idea!

Default Brilliant Idea!

This morning over my cup-o-joe I was pondering my empty jar of elderberry juice. I LOVE that stuff! Every time I am around someone that has a cold or is sick, I start pounding that stuff. However it's so expensive! It occurred to me to grow my own elderberries as well as make my own syrup! Brilliant right? But it got better.. what about growing other medicinal plants and making things like that! Well.. a whole new world has opened up now. So I wanted to get some advice on books or websites that are specifically for garden plans for medicinal plants. I already have plans for my regular garden, so I don't know how much room I am going to have, but I would love to research and learn. I am so anti-doctor/medicine and the fact that I could start "taking care" of my self naturally from my own garden.. well.. it's the bees knees. I really like when there are pictures of "this is an idea of what your garden could look like" as taking the time to read the space and soil requirements takes me a long time and I just don't have that. Also.. do you know a good website for acquiring seeds (organic) like these? I found a place online called "horizon herbs," but I don't know them and would prefer to deal with a site that someone recommends. Thanks!

Have you checked out that Facebook page I mentioned yet? I'm not a member of that group anymore because I got away from gardening but there are a few members in it that live near you with similar beliefs. There's a natural cure for almost everything! Those folks can set you on the path to growing it in your specific area for best results.
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,
    Teach a man to fish and he'll also learn to drink, lie, and avoid the honey do list.

Quote Originally Posted by Ak Bird Brain View Post
    Have you checked out that Facebook page I mentioned yet? I'm not a member of that group anymore because I got away from gardening but there are a few members in it that live near you with similar beliefs. There's a natural cure for almost everything! Those folks can set you on the path to growing it in your specific area for best results.
    I did join. Thanks. But I wanted to ask here too! There are a lot of smart people on here that I think could help!

Lightbulb

MG,

Google and check out this book: Tanaina Plantlore: An Ethnobotany of the Dena'ina Indians of Southcentral Alaska by Priscilla Russell Karl.

Attachment 67874

If you didn't know, the Native people of interior Alaska are Athabaskan Indian of one tribal dialect or another. The Dena'ina are indigenous to Southcentral.

My wife is an advocate of Homeopathy if you're ever curious along those lines.

[QUOTE=Marcus;1240563]MG,

Google and check out this book: Tanaina Plantlore: An Ethnobotany of the Dena'ina Indians of Southcentral Alaska by Priscilla Russell Karl.

Attachment 67874

If you didn't know, the Native people of interior Alaska are Athabaskan Indian of one tribal dialect or another. The Dena'ina are indigenous to Southcentral.

Mg
    Like he said . Also go to library and check out native plant lore books from around the state or Canada.
    Any book written by Natives about local flora or fauna is a wealth of knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
    MG,

Attachment 67874

Marcus.. thanks for this! I am curious about homeopathy. I have so much to learn! Between wood carving, gardening, homeopathy, hunting.. LOL Not to mention writing and guitar and all the other outdoors things I do. Oh yeah.. and my business! LOL. Thanks though. I appreciate you letting me know about this. I'm going to head to the library on Monday and check out some books.

Quote Originally Posted by power drifter View Post
    Thanks for these too! I'm going to look them up at the library.

[QUOTE=retiredinhomer;1240572]
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
    MG,

Attachment 67874

Mg
    Like he said . Also go to library and check out native plant lore books from around the state or Canada.
    Any book written by Natives about local flora or fauna is a wealth of knowledge.
    Thanks for the idea! I love libraries!

Supporting Member

Denali Seeds is based in Anchorage and sells organic seeds that are specific to Alaska gardens. They're a great company to deal with and you can purchase seeds online. http://www.denaliseed.com/

Supporting Member

Janice Schofield's book, "Discovering Wild Plants" has many Alaskan plants in it and talks a lot about the medicinal qualities of the plants.

MG, You will soon face another problem and that being trying to have enough energy to keep up with the 20 some hours of day light . At first you will try to use all of the light and after a while you will find that you will have to set your limits. I can see how excited you are to delve into many things they all at the end of the day will not be possible. Good Luck

Default natural plants that serve to substitute for Rx's

http://pdfsb.com/readonline/62466446...6413d3d-642458
    This is a neat little booklet that is designed to allow you to continue to treat yourself, if your source of drugstore RX isn't available for any reason. I like the index/TOC of maladies. Look up yours, and meet the plant that can help you beat it.

I should mention that this booklet was sent to me after I expressed interest here on this forum in the same area you posted about MG.

there are a few "medicinal" plants that might provide MG all the energy she needs throughout the summer...legal ones too

Quote Originally Posted by MountainGirl View Post
    This morning over my cup-o-joe I was pondering my empty jar of elderberry juice. I LOVE that stuff! Every time I am around someone that has a cold or is sick, I start pounding that stuff. However it's so expensive! It occurred to me to grow my own elderberries as well as make my own syrup! Brilliant right? But it got better.. what about growing other medicinal plants and making things like that! Well.. a whole new world has opened up now. So I wanted to get some advice on books or websites that are specifically for garden plans for medicinal plants. I already have plans for my regular garden, so I don't know how much room I am going to have, but I would love to research and learn. I am so anti-doctor/medicine and the fact that I could start "taking care" of my self naturally from my own garden.. well.. it's the bees knees. I really like when there are pictures of "this is an idea of what your garden could look like" as taking the time to read the space and soil requirements takes me a long time and I just don't have that. Also.. do you know a good website for acquiring seeds (organic) like these? I found a place online called "horizon herbs," but I don't know them and would prefer to deal with a site that someone recommends. Thanks!
    Discovering wild plants, by Jamie Schofield. You will love this book. It is by far the best book on Alaskan plant uses EVER! (in my opinion)