Thread: Looking for a cabin and need advice.

Default Looking for a cabin and need advice.

So I am looking for a small cabin anywhere outside anchorage no more than 3.5 hours travel time. I would prefer to stay away from north of Palmer and be try to find something north of willow. I am also not too pick about access, as long as its not fly in only. Car, river boat, four wheeler, or snow machine preferred.

I'm posting this because I have been on Craigslist and other sites and found nothing the wife likes. Let me know what you think or pm me.

Longkj

I have found that access is everything. This is especially true if you have women, children or pets that you wish to go with you. Access is also important to privacy, thievery, and how many days a year you can get there at all. Huge waves, low water, flooding, may keep you there at times. I never got stuck at my cabin, but I have had to wait out the winds more than once.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

Check out Land in Alaska.com
    Larry House was my realtor when we bought ours. Great guy.
    BK
    PS- Hang a wanted poster at Deshka Landing inside on the board....you might find some luck there without a broker and fees.

Do most people use a 3rd party to sell their cabin? Should I get an agent? I have been on that website multiple times in the past 6 months but no luck. I think this game is all about patience...

I have found that most desirable cabins are sold word of mouth. Some are spoke for in case of a sale.

Cash talks. Large down and payments means if you default, they make more money. Interest rates usually around 7% for 10 years.

What are your recreational goals? Some areas are much better than others for certain things. Some have very little of what you desire.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

Have to agree with dirtofak, most I hear about are word of mouth and owner finance.
    I know of one for sale on the Deshka, he wants in the neighborhood of $165k for a lil cabin and 5 acres.
    Put the word out and I'm sure you'll get some bites. Lots of places on the Big Su and Yetna. Occassionally a sign will pop up in the window of one here or there. Again, Id' put the word out via a wanted poster at the landing.
    BK

My main goal with a cabin is to get my family out of the house during the winter time on snow machines, and have a place to go with lower 48 visitors during the summer. Seclusion/privacy is important and I would also like more than 2 or 3 acres. I dont need septic/electric (wired for electric would be nice), running water is a must unless its on clear water. I'm not trying to be too picky, I dont want to own another house, I want a cabin. FYI, my wife grew up here and her father had a cabin on the talkeetna so she grew up with outhouses and doesnt mind seclusion...Of course the cabin is long been sold. I sure wish I could get my hands on it....

BTW, I aint rich or wealthy but I would like to work cash as well. Thanks for the replys and keep the info coming if you dont mind.

Just roughly what price range........Just roughly.

From cheap to 100k+

I wouldn't put too much into having running water. There are ways around it. Snow melts fast on a wood stove. Rainwater catchment should be enough for wasing dished etc. I carry potable water in during the winter for coffee etc. Several cases of bottled water and gallons too.

PM in work.
    Bill Hicks

Have you thought about buying land and then having a cabin built?

Quote Originally Posted by NRick View Post
    Have you thought about buying land and then having a cabin built?
    Everything I have heard says its too expensive. What do you think?

Have you thought about building a cabin yourself?
    I have added on to mine and it is worth the time. The expense is minimal but requires time.
    Time to load it at the lumberyard (need trailer), time to load/haul it in the winter (need freight sled/and capable towing snowmachine).
    Time in the summer to erect it.
    If you have some skills and time, it's easily achieved.

Just looked at Craigs and there is a place up the Yetna by Hewitt lk. for under $50k.
    Thats a long ride, especially with little ones.....
    BK

Quote Originally Posted by Longkj View Post
    Everything I have heard says its too expensive. What do you think?
    I don't want someone elses mistake to repair, 20 year old stove that may or may not work, single pane windows to replace, T-111 that needed to be painted 5 years ago or anything else that I missed. I have been to quite a few cabins and some are scary, some downright dangerous.

If you look at your actual needs, you probably don't need a large cabin or even want one. Small cabins can go up in a few days, heat up faster, need less maintenence and the cost factor goes way down too.
    Bill Hicks

Quote Originally Posted by dirtofak View Post
    I don't want someone elses mistake to repair, 20 year old stove that may or may not work, single pane windows to replace, T-111 that needed to be painted 5 years ago or anything else that I missed. I have been to quite a few cabins and some are scary, some downright dangerous.

If you look at your actual needs, you probably don't need a large cabin or even want one. Small cabins can go up in a few days, heat up faster, need less maintenence and the cost factor goes way down too.
    Good point. A lot of rural cabins I've seen or rehabbed = poor foundations, leaky roofs, mold, questionable wiring, drafts, squirrels down the well, in the walls, in the roof.....and, of course, someone else's outhouse....eeewwwwwww.......
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Long,
    Check your PM's....
    BK

Thanks for looking out!

Quote Originally Posted by cdubbin View Post
    Good point. A lot of rural cabins I've seen or rehabbed = poor foundations, leaky roofs, mold, questionable wiring, drafts, squirrels down the well, in the walls, in the roof.....and, of course, someone else's outhouse....eeewwwwwww.......
    Try sleeping in one with the common and grounds on the same bar in the breaker box, active squirrel in the ceiling, huge draft under the door, fireplace insert sitting on blocks no legs or lags, stairs breaking through, and something leaked on the floor but you aren't sure what.
    Bill Hicks

We have 5 acres on the Yentna we are wanting to sell. It's in the "Big Bend" area.

LongKJ PM Sent
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1