Thread: Trails near Maclaren River

Default Trails near Maclaren River

I am looking for some trails that lead into the Clearwater mountains west of the maclaren river. Wondering on length and summer ride-ability. Trying to get deep into the mountains there for some remote fishing, maybe a bear or two. thankful for anything in the area even on the east of the river.

It's a controlled use area, so your ATV based hunting is limited to snow machine on the snow in the spring for bears and small game. If wheeling in the summer, you can't be hunting bears.

There is an old mining road on the east side of the river that goes up to Seven Mile lake.

I don't know of any trails on the west side other than horse back ones on the other side of crazy gap/notch.

There are few trails on the north side, between the two rivers. As has already been stated, 'no ATV use for hunting' during the non winter months. There are a couple of trails, one before crazy notch and one after, that could be fun. There is another trail at Clear Water Creek that goes north but is is a short one.
    There has been a 'rumor' that there maybe a trail going in on top of McLaren (sp) pass going north and coming out at about mile 30 or so. Not sure what the status is yet but it could open up some new area to scout.
    Now on the south side of the road there are some really fun trails. Lots of mud and swamps.

Ya i am aware of the CW-CUA and i can olny do spring hunting of bears till like june 30 or something i dont remember exactly but ya. You said that i would be restricted to snowmachines its south facing i figured the snow would melt before may.. Am i wrong on that. Im not familiar with the area that much. I was looking to either go up clearwater creek or maybe maclaren river. I really want to go to the area and do some camping while hunting spring bears. Also maybe a little scouting for later in the year.

Sorry......I am not sure why you need a trail if you are on snowshoes or walking.....??? It is open country.

About three years ago, I went down the west fork trail on atv that's just east of the Maclaren River. If conditions are right you can cross the West Fork and then drain the beaver dam following the old mining trail. It takes you all the way up to the mouth of the Maclaren Glacier. The trail then splits. It's not easy riding but it will take you up further to the old mining cash. There's also a landing strip on the mouth of the glacier to fly into. Lots of bears back in there!

Hey AGL, i was asking why would i have to take a snow machine since i thought the snow would be gone by may. So ya i dont plan on using skis or snow shoes i plan on riding my atv in for bears and some fishing this spring just wondering on the trails thanks though.

Hey rome thanks for the tip i will have to check it out.

Sorry I should have read goooder.

lol Ya sometimes i need to do alot of things gooder.
    Trying to play enough to make working for the money all worth it.

Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

There will be patchy snow until the end of May that you can get a snow machine on. Warm afternoons will be difficult when the snow gets hot. From the end of May to the machine use end date of June 30 you will be playing connect the dots. That may allow some use of an ATV. You still may have to dig through drifts.

There also will be the always unknown issue of when will AKDOT open the Denali hwy to get you nearby by truck.