Thread: DPH-B metal in oil

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

Default DPH-B metal in oil

Just drained my drive oil after 120hrs and found the oil to be gray in color with metal flakes! We just changed the plastic pullies to metal ones and noticed a metal sound, we also changed the compressor pulley and thought the metal noise was from the new metal pullies, I guess the noise was from the drive, it shifted fine and moved the boat along fine, I'll send it out to Indemand in Homer and see what failed. The drive has about 2500hrs on it and was rebuild annually by Indemand in Homer.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

Sorry to hear about that Kodiakcombo. I have the DP mated with a KAD 43, and have been wondering if and when something is going to happen with it. You say that it is rebuilt annually. Why so often, and how many hours a year are you putting on it? I also hate those plastic pulleys, and the dust they create. Good luck to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Soundfisher View Post
    Sorry to hear about that Kodiakcombo. I have the DP mated with a KAD 43, and have been wondering if and when something is going to happen with it. You say that it is rebuilt annually. Why so often, and how many hours a year are you putting on it? I also hate those plastic pulleys, and the dust they create. Good luck to you.
    I put about 1200hrs a year on the boat, drives are to be rebuilt at that amount of hours anyway. When you hear a weird metal sounding ring or pitch its your drive, we thought it was the new metal pullies.
    www.kodiakcombos.com

Sorry too. The pilot boat silver bullet has D-6's with DP out drives been replaced about every 250hrs, but they are hard hours at 30kts plus. Best of luck if you need anyone to check with Bill for you at any time PM me.

if those drives are anything like the older duoprop/290's the shimming of the gears is VERY important, i'm betting they weren't set up correctly and now the gears are grinding themselves apart, at least you didn't run it till it went bang. They may be able to save it but whoever does it better be very good at setting up ALL of the gearing and the drive needs to be well flushed of all the metal bits floating around in there so it doesn't happen again after its put back together and that includes all the bearings being cleaned or replaced. You might be safer getting a new drive and keeping this one for a spare after it gets fixed. Volvo used to have a factory reconditioned/rebuilt plan on drives don't know if thats still around and they did take your old one for a core.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Kodiak,

I had a top end problem on mine. which I had repaired. I had heard the the DPH-C was coming out, so I decided to buy a new one last year, and keep the DPH-A as a spare. They are amazing quick to change out of you know what you are doing. When I was getting the new drive put on mine in Seward in the spring, one of the charter operators was changing their's out as well, and there were noticeable changes in the drive with things generally beefed up. I have been watching, and not heard of any problems with the C's although they are still quite new.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

sounds like typical volvo engineering, bring out a new high priced product let the customer buy it and do the research and testing on it then when it breaks sell the customer the new improved version for a even higher price. Got to luv volvo !!

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

I put the new DPHC drives on my boat and I can see signs that the oil is getting hot in the upper gear box. On my starboard dive I had oil in the bellows so I need to replace the upper seals in that drive. I watch the guys changing out in the drives on the Silver Bullet last year and they where using regular gear oil and not marine grade. Also noted that they change there oil at 200 hours where Volo recommends every 100 hours. My boat cruises between 28 and 30 kts. Fully loaded with passengers and gear I am at 20000 pounds. Weight and speed has a lot to do with how long the drives will last. The Dan Orion runs the same drives cruises at 30kt but is 4000 pounds lighter than my boat and he has over 3000 hours on his drives. What I need is some kind of shower drive for my volvo drive.

Here is a little more info from a guy that works on these a lot. I have heard this before that getting them full on oil and using the right oil is critical to their surviving:

All the C model Dph drives are running well. You should be able to change the fluid yourself. I have a couple tips to ensure that you get it full.
    Raise the drive to about 35 degrees and turn the wheel to the right. Fill the drive up to the bottom of the fill plug. Lower the drive and raise back to 35 degrees. Check the level and top off if necessary. The recommended oil is Volvo Synthetic 75W-90.
    Your drive has no grease fittings, I just recommend greasing the prop shaft every time the props are removed.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

We purchased this 14000lb 34 foot boat with a single 370 with 530hrs. We changed oil anywhere from 100, 150 and 200 hrs. The oil at 100hrs looked new, the oil at 150 looked new then at 200 it looks black. We been using what the builder has used Volvo 75-140 syn. No issues other than water intrusion when I ran 70 nautical miles with 8 drums of fuel, 300lbs of cement, 200lbs of groceries, 150lbs of lumber, full fuel(300gals). Way to much weight to run up on step! we changed oil after that run and found it to be milky and sent it out to Indemand and didnt have any problems all summer till now. Monday we order a new C model and regear this one for the seasport, we never kept a space between the copper paint and the drive on the seasport so it is corroded pretty bad.
    www.kodiakcombos.com