Thread: Round Two, Waterfowl Enhancement Project

Default Round Two, Waterfowl Enhancement Project

We are planning to do the 2nd half of the brush/tree clearing project on Saturday, Feb 16th. I have sent out invitations to all the local Boy Scout Troops to join us and hopefully give the boys a opportunity to do a waterfowl enhancement community service project and perhaps earn a merit badge. This time we will provide a hot lunch, most likely hamburgers and beans, and will be more concerned with the temps, postponing the project if daytime temps are expected below 10 degrees. The idea is that the boys will be doing the dragging and piling of the brush, while we do the cutting.

We will still need a doz or so AWA members to do the cutting, cooking and helping with all a project like this requires. Please PM or email me back and let me know if we can count on you to help. Thank You, Bud
    Wasilla

Feb 16th is off my calander but I plan to be there. I did get my chainsaw fixed. How about the rest of you guys with limp saws? Get then tuned up and sharp. Don
    Forgive me for being arrogant. I own 2 Drahthaar's.
    Tundramoor Drahthaar Kennel. Training Versatile Dogs because we hunt it all.
    Memeber of the Alaska Warterfowl Association.

See ya there Bud, guess a tune up for the chainsaw is on the list today. Do you know if Doug is getting a permit to burn the piles?

Would there be any value in a brush cutter? I have a industrial trimmer with a brush blade that I used to easily clear out wild roses and raspberry brush in the back yard. It will cut through a 2 inch or less birch as well.

It does make a huge mess of stickups to trip you up, though.

It is 4 stroke so I don't know how well it will work in the cold. Should be fine I would think.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Ray View Post
    Would there be any value in a brush cutter? I have a industrial trimmer with a brush blade that I used to easily clear out wild roses and raspberry brush in the back yard. It will cut through a 2 inch or less birch as well.

It does make a huge mess of stickups to trip you up, though.

It is 4 stroke so I don't know how well it will work in the cold. Should be fine I would think.
    like u can see in the photos, lots of small stuff, and from what i recall of those things, pretty easy to cut right down close to the ground with them, hopefully it will stay warm like it is now. Thanks, Bud
    Wasilla

Are you still looking for extra hands? I am not an AWA member but would like to help if you could give me a time, place, and what if any tools needed.

Thanks,
    Jason
    ER

The plan is to have as many hands as we can on the hayflats, northbound side, just north of mat river bridge. 9:30 am saturday, feb 16th. Please come and lend a hand if you can, even if just for a couple hours. Doug Hill is planning to burn the brush piles that day, should provide warmth and make more pleasant. I am bringing a stove and cooking stuff and beans and hamburgers for all the workers, right now the forcast in Wasilla is for high of 25 so it should be warming thoughout the day. Ray, bring along your brushcutter if you have it, others bring chainsaws or whatever tools they have. The wind blew off most of the snow this past weekend but we may get a bit more. No ATV's or Snowgo's allowed unless over 12", which is doubtful. Sleds very helpful for bringing out equipment, bring one if you have it. Its only a 200-300 flat walk to the trees we will be cutting, easy walk. Hope to see everybody saturday, still don't know about the scouts, hope a few of them will turnout also. Be sure and park as far off the road as is possible. Bud
    Wasilla

Thanks I will be there. Trying to get my chain for saw fixed too.
    Jason

This little bit of snow is surpose to stop today and calling for clear and calm tomorrow. Unless we get unexpected high winds, F&G will be burning the slash piles tomorrow, looks like we may be getting some airforce guys out to help also, lets get this project done. See you all tomorrow. Bud
    Wasilla

Good turnout yesterday and most importantly, we got the job done. Thanks to everybody who came out and worked and helped us finish the job. We had a couple guys from the airforce that came out as part of their public service program, and a couple non club members who came out just to help improve the waterfowl nesting on the hayflats. To say the least, I am dissapointed that more active club members, especially from the forum here, that had indicated they would be willing to work on projects, did not join us. I can only assume there is not as much interest in working to improve the hunting opportunities as we had hoped. Weather was perfect, some of the guys were working in their Tee shirts. We used diesel to try and burn some of the piles from 3 weeks ago, but too green, all we burnt was the diesel fuel. That will be done at a later time.

Hope to see everybody at the AWA banquet, date has been changed to March 30th, and there will be lots of notice sent out regarding this. Looks like there will be raffle for up to 3 AR-15's and many other guns and other good items to bid on. Bud
    Wasilla

Bud,

Drop me a line anytime and I'll find time to do other projects. I think it's important to move forward and continue to work on habitat so don't get frustrated. Thanks to the gal who made the chili and for the drinks available. It was nice to enjoy a meal together, meet other sportsmen, and get something done that benefits the entire community.

Robert