Thread: Habitat etc

Default Habitat etc

I am making a glass enclosed display case for my brown bear skull, I am looking for some black sand, some black shale rocks, some barnacle crusted rocks (smaller, like 3-4 inch) some of the butter clam and mussel shells. When I was on kodiak I didn't think about grabbing this kind of stuff nor did I have the idea of what I plan for this skull at the time. The dimensions of the case will be about 14x22 or so, I have looked at some taxidermy supply sites and don't find what I need, if anyone has any ideas or would be willing to gather for me I would be grateful and would pay all shipping etc cost. You could P.M. If need thanks,Scott

Quote Originally Posted by SLA View Post
    I am making a glass enclosed display case for my brown bear skull, I am looking for some black sand, some black shale rocks, some barnacle crusted rocks (smaller, like 3-4 inch) some of the butter clam and mussel shells. When I was on kodiak I didn't think about grabbing this kind of stuff nor did I have the idea of what I plan for this skull at the time. The dimensions of the case will be about 14x22 or so, I have looked at some taxidermy supply sites and don't find what I need, if anyone has any ideas or would be willing to gather for me I would be grateful and would pay all shipping etc cost. You could P.M. If need thanks,Scott
    Rocks ... Your local greenhouses, hobby stores, and aquarium stores.

or how about building supply places likes Lowes, Home Depot.

For clams and such ... your local supermarket. Might find find them in the frozen fish section. Eat them, make chowder or what not and save the shells.

Quote Originally Posted by Wet eNuf View Post
    Rocks ... Your local greenhouses, hobby stores, and aquarium stores.

or how about building supply places likes Lowes, Home Depot.

For clams and such ... your local supermarket. Might find find them in the frozen fish section. Eat them, make chowder or what not and save the shells.
    Yea. So I went to Home Depot and asked "where can I find sand ,rocks,etc like on Kodiak Island Ak" guy looked at me like ....... Thx Guy
    I want and will get authentic Kodiak. Or I will simply get it next trip. Just thought I would ask.

SLA if you are interested in some help and/or need ideas let me know. I have access to a few toys that etch, cut and mill. Maybe get a cool design into whatever you're working with.

Latest projects.

Not sure If your entire project is glass but Reynolds Hardwoods has a pretty cool selection of lumber for a neat base. Their walnut goes 12in wide, mahogany 16".
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Doh! Just noticed your in Iowa.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Just thought it might save you some time/money and coordination effort.

Yea. So I went to Home Depot and asked "where can I find sand ,rocks,etc like on Kodiak Island Ak" guy looked at me like ....... Thx Guy
    I want and will get authentic Kodiak. Or I will simply get it next trip. Just thought I would ask.
    Got the concept now! they must be Kodiak Authentic. I've seen many of the things all over the state (Southeast Alaska, PWS, POW, Aleutians....) so at least others know not to bother.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    Thanks I think this will work! Will post pic when done. Hope to have my skull back in couple weeks.

Thanks I think this will work! Will post pic when done. Hope to have my skull back in couple weeks.
    You bet. I look forward to seeing the finished product. Did you post a hunt story? I do not recall reading one.

Yes I posted a story and some pics, it was titled Kodiak, not sure how to copy the link onto here?

Yes I posted a story and some pics, it was titled Kodiak, not sure how to copy the link onto here?
    Now I remember it. Here it is again: http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...t=#post1203008