Thread: Where should we go

Default Where should we go

We're in the process of planning an early September trout trip for this year. We floated the Alagnek a few years ago & did ok, but not what was expected. It was a low run year for both kings & reds and trout populations were wanting too. We are mainly interested in rainbow fishing (dollies & grayling ok too). Here is what is under consideration (at this time): Moraine Creek (yeah, we know it has a bear population), Alagnek River (give it a second chance), Kwethluk River, Arolik River
    What do you think? PM's thankfully accepted.

I'd scratch the Kwethluk, but add the Kisaralik, Goodnews or Kanektok. With that, you have the best of Bristol Bay covered.....then just roll the dice, and pick one. All are great rivers with unique plusses and minuses.

Moraine will definitely test your tolerance of fuzzy wuzzies, I camped there for three weeks and found them generally well behaved, but definitely thick and the whole scenario got unnerving by the last few days. Also, the weather can be brutal in that area, it is high enough to make it's own weather.

Did you float the Alagnak in Sept?....if so, the lack of salmon is normal, even in good years. THings wrap up a lot earlier in Bristol Bay than the Cook inlet streams.....even coho.

I have not been personally but know of several who have fished the Karluk around that time. Silvers are in, 2nd run of sockeyes and bonus steellheads. There are a few cabins on native land that can be rented or bring your bear fence and camp.

Thanks for the replys. Still under consideration.