Thread: planning a late may or early june trip....

Default planning a late may or early june trip....

Can anyone tell me honestly, where me, my dad, and a good friend of mine can go...to catch some cutthroat, rainbows, dolly varden...maybe even some salmon? alaska is a new frontier for me...seeing as though i'm from georgia. I do alot of trout fishing with my dad in the mountains here, but nothing like what you guys have! I want this trip to be a once in a lifetime kind of memory for my dad....would really like to maybe fly into anchorage then floatplane out... preferably to a more remote area with less foot traffic...any ideas would be greatly appreciated! thanks jason

Default where to go

Well, you said it... Alaska's a frontier! And a very large one, at that. First thing to do, is decide exactly what your priorities are for fish, and look at the amount of time/money you have to spend looking for them. Cutthroat to me would have to land at the bottom of the list, as they're found mainly in SouthEast Alaska, with some around Cordova and possibly in Valdez. Valdez is the only drive to option, and its about 6 hours each way from Anchorage, in the opposite direction of the fisheries on the Kenai Peninsula. Southeast Alaska and Cordova are fly or boat to only options, which adds expense and time to the trip. Fishing for Rainbows, grayling, and dollies can be had on the way to Valdez, in the Gulkana River and many lakes along the way. If you have limited time to fish, I would try to narrow the area you fish, to keep driving time down and fishing time up. A few days on the Kenai Peninsula and/or the Mat-Su Valley should scratch all the fish itches but the cutthroat and maximize your time spent fishing.

Default check the opening dates

If your planning on doing roadside alaska you need to check the opening dates for some of the waterways, they might not be open during your intended time. and if they are open you can be sure of doing combat fishing for kings or long hiking to get by yourselves.With that said You might want to do a fly in trip . You should check out.
    George Riddle
    Owner/Operator
    Blueberry Island Lodge
    www.blueberryislandlodge.com
    I have researched him and he has contacted me in the past and is very helpful and affordable.I havent done a trip with him but hes on my list of to dos. If you want a trip of a life time and fond memories with lots of fishing action seek a pro. and let them take care of it. I could be wrong but his river will have kings at that time and lots of trophy bows in the Bristol bay region..

Bushwaker,
    Very kind word and I thank you. June is a good time for some fantastic rainbow fishing as well as grayling (is it grayling or greyling???) fishing. Unfortunatly we do not have king salmon to speak of. BUT if Kings are on the todo list that can be accomplished with a stop over in King Salmon after the rainbows have been educated. I have a number of Guides/places to stay in King Salmon if you wanted to take some on the way that would fit into a reasonabley cost range. Now remember that cost is relative so let us on this site know how much you can spend and we can help you get the best bang for that buck.

This site and other Alaskan fishing sites are a great network for all who fish our waters..

Hoping that your trip will in deed be a trip of a life time,

George

Default hmmmmm....

Thanks george, I appreciate all the information that you guys have given me...again thanks...jason

Quote Originally Posted by willphish4food View Post
    ... Southeast Alaska and Cordova are fly or boat to only options, which adds expense and time to the trip. ...
    Granted, the OP mentioned Anchorage in thier post, so I won't press the SE point too much, but how does flying into Juneau, Ketchikan, Petersburg or Sitka add much time or expense to the trip vs. most anywhere "up north"?

Sorry for the micro-rant, but this notion that the Kenai River and Denali Park make up "the best" of Alaska irks me. We all agree it's a huge place. Not only do we have great cutty fishing in SE, but we've got electricity, a few roads, and I tore down my igloo long ago! ;-)

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Cool Trip of A LIFETIME

IF YOU REALLY WANT TO EXPERIENCE THE FINEST FISHING HERE IN ALASKA, TRY A TRIP WITH PROFISH-N-SEA CHARTERS IN SEWARD ALASKA. THEY OFFER COMBO TRIPS IN THE SUMMER FOR SALMON/HALIBUT OR HALIBUT/LING COD. IF YOU WANT TO GIVE SOMEONE A TRIP TO REMEMBER, TRY LETTING THEM CATCH A HALIBUT THAT IS AS TALL AS THEY ARE.

CAPT. STEVE ZERNIA RUNS PROFISH-N-SEA CHARTERS IN SEWARD AND ALSO HAS TWO OTHER TOP NOTCH CAPTAINS, BEN AND KEVIN. ASIDE FROM BEING GREAT GUYS TO FISH WITH, THEY WILL GO FAR OUT OF THEIR WAY TO TRY TO GET YOU THE TRUE ALASKA FISHING EXPERIENCE.

I WON'T FISH WITH ANYONE ELSE. CHECK OUT THEIR HOME PAGE, THAT'S MY BUDDY FRANK BAKER FROM MONTANA WITH THE 293LB MONSTER HE CAUGHT FISHING WITH CAPT STEVE THE OTHER YEAR. MEMORIES? OH YEAH, YOU KNOW...THEY DON'T MAKE THEMSELVES. i KNOW WHEN I'M SITIING IN MY ROCKING CHAIR AT 80 YEARS OLD I WON'T HAVE MANY REGRETS. I'D BE HAPPY TO PROVIDE MORE INFO. CALL JOHN (907) 688-9490.