Thread: DIY Duracoat job on a Blaser R8

Default DIY Duracoat job on a Blaser R8

I decided to give my Blaser R8 Professional stock a make over. I didn't like the really dark green and wanted a lighter color that wouldn't stand out so much. I ordered the Duracoat Shake and Spray kit in ACU colors and also ordered the British DPM stencils. In hindsight I'm going to use an airbrush next time because there was a lot of waste with the shake and spray because the tube doesn't pick up all of the Duracoat in the jar.

I removed the butt pad and rear sling swivel. I masked off the rubber inserts, barrel channel, and action with blue painters tape. I had a hell of a time getting the painters tape to stick to the rubber, especially the rear ones. I ended up having to use duct tape, and even that didn't stick fully.

I used the TruStrip and sprayed all of the exposed areas a few times and scrubbed with the Scotch Brite pad and a tooth brush till the plastic got a dull sheen.

I layed on three light coats of the ACU Gray Green as a base layer, waiting 20 minutes between coats. After the final coat I waited 3 hours before moving on to the next color. Also during the wait I used a hair drier on high heat to help the cure because my oven isn't big enough for the stock to fit.

I used the British DPM male stencils to mask off what I wanted to stay green and then laid down one coat of ACU Medium Gray Green. I again waited 3 hours and used the hair drier.

I used the British DPM female stencils to lay down the ACU Light Tan. This left the medium green looking like the base color and that was what I wanted. Again, three hours and the hair drier.

I pulled off all of the stencils and wiped the stock down with paint thinner to remove the residual glue. I watched the Lauer Weaponry video on YouTube several times, and when he says to lightly apply the stencils they mean it. I only pressed a little bit on the edges to make sure they were on there and they were good and stuck.

I layed on two light coats of matte clear to even out the transitions between the colors. I waited about an hour and used the hair drier.

I removed all of the masking and realized I some how masked off one area that didn't get any color. I had to go back and do a touch up, but you can't really notice it unless you're looking closely.

The duct tape left a ton of glue on the rubber, which was easily removed with some Goo Gone.

The video says you can reuse the stencils, but I found that to not be true. Pulling them off deformed them and I just ended up trashing them.

Here's the results:

What do you think? I think it turned out really well. I wanted the ACU colors because they seem to be similar to the colors used in a lot of the newer clothing lines (Kuiu, Sitka, etc.).
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

Default DIY Duracoat

That turned out great I really like the colors and pattern you picked out, now do the scope and some binos to match.

Looks great, good Alaska colors.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Great job! Did you end up with any 'edges' around your colors from the paint? I saw your thread title and almost groaned thinking someone had duracoated their entire R8! HAHA!!

I was concerned about edges from the build up of paint, but the Duracost went on pretty thin. I think the coats of clear helped blend them together. The only place you can see an edge is where I went back and fixed the spot I accidentally masked because that edge is up against five layers of duracoat.

Looks very nice. Did you apply a protective clear coat??

Well Done.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

thats nice! ive been debating on durcoat an old savage or just using wrap for different seasons. but this looks great! could always sand it off and redo it later too.. where you get the duracoat at? can i get some around palmer?
    Semper Fi!

Arctic Ammo on the Palmer-Wasila Hwy carries Duracoat. You can't have it shipped via regular mail unless you send it to someone in the lower 48 and have them send it to you. I'm not sure why that is, but Lauer won't ship to Alaska.

Quote Originally Posted by Kay9Cop View Post
    Arctic Ammo on the Palmer-Wasila Hwy carries Duracoat.
    Does anyone know if you can fly with that in checked-baggage on Alaska Airlines? Anchorage back to Juneau?

Yes, I put on two coats of matte clear.

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Looks very nice. Did you apply a protective clear coat??

Well Done.

Steve

There's nothing on the package about it being flammable or HAZMAT. That's why I'm not sure why Lauer won't ship it. There must be a reason, but I don't know what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion8 View Post
    Does anyone know if you can fly with that in checked-baggage on Alaska Airlines? Anchorage back to Juneau?

Lauer ships to AK...I get it from them regularly, but you have to pony up a HAZMAT fee and shipping small orders is cost prohibitive. Technically taking them in checked baggage is not kosher either. I do recall it saying "Danger FLAMMABLE" or something on the bottles label as well.

nice job! your rifle looks great!