Thread: Which tree stand harness do you prefer?

Default Which tree stand harness do you prefer?

I am getting ready to put out my first ever tree stand this week. Time to do a little winter predator hunting. I set it up in the yard about four feet up just to get the feel for it. After trying to figure out the supplied with Stand safety harness I already know I will be upgrading before bear season this summer. Just want to get some feedback on what people use and like/dislike about their safety harness. Any input would be great as I know nothing on the subject, can't wait to try out a new method of hunting!

Quote Originally Posted by seacowboy View Post
    I am getting ready to put out my first ever tree stand this week. Time to do a little winter predator hunting. I set it up in the yard about four feet up just to get the feel for it. After trying to figure out the supplied with Stand safety harness I already know I will be upgrading before bear season this summer. Just want to get some feedback on what people use and like/dislike about their safety harness. Any input would be great as I know nothing on the subject, can't wait to try out a new method of hunting!
    Are you lookin at a climber or just one for setting up ... Never used one here in alaska but in the lower 48 for a climber a summit was always at the top for me...

I prefer the vest style harness over the strap style for two reasons. First is there is nothing worse than having to untangle the harnesswhen you get to your spot. Having the vest keeps everything tangle free. Second is having a few small pockets on the vest is great for holding a range finder and other small items. When you look for a harness look for one with buckles, they are easier than having to run the straps through the normal style retainers. Another thing to look for is how long the tether is. It needs to be long enough for you to be able to turn and draw if an animal comes from behind you.

Bottom line is whichever one you choose make sure you wear it all the time. More guys get hurt because they think that they will never fall or have a stand break. I had one close call using my climber when the tree had moisture on it. I was only 5 feet up and it could of been bad. Good luck with the tree stand hunting.

I'm not using a climber. The trees here are not good for that. I just got the most basic stand for now so I will set it up and leave it up for the season. Another two weeks or so. I think I will look into the vest style harnesses though. Cold hands and straps ten to fifteen feet up a tree sounds like a pain and dangerous too.

I hear ya on the supplied harness's. Most of them are outright junk. I'm pretty harsh on reviews.......so do a simple test for yourself. Put your stand a few feet up, and jump off. Obviously have a way to get out ie someone to help. I say jump liberally just step off. I throw mine away.

Personally I dont like the vest models. I dont want anymore junk on me than I already have. I'm in a stand, which gives me the option to use gear and keep it somewhere everytime I'm there. Start moving around a stand taking shots and you'll see what I mean, you can find yourself in some intersting positions. There's no such thing as a set up shot. That said at this point in life and for quite some time I dont need a range finder and you wont likely either. For spring bears, use it once, set up some sticks with marked yardage and be done with it. ring at x distance, 2nd ring at x distance and so on and so forth. Distances are determined by you, are put there once you set the bait up. Bears dont care and hopefully wont eat them lol You could use different colored survey tape or use your imagination. No monkeying around when its time to shoot, really simple system and hard to mess up if you mark them right.

I prefer the hunters saftey system ultralight. http://www.cabelas.com/product/Hunti...3Bcat104639580

The only thing I would add to this if you do leave stands up which I assume you are. Is a climbing rope. The first time you use the supplied climbing rope, attach the long rope with a prusik on it. You'll descend off this and ascend everytime there after. No mess with hooking/unhooking. You clip in once when you leave the ground going up and use the same line going down. simple easy and safe!

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Hunti...3Bcat104639580

I have always preferred a traditional sit harness, one designed for mountaineering more than radical aid climbing. As stated, the ones supplied with tree hunting stands are junk. The tether in the middle of the back interferes with clothing and does little other than keep you dangling if you should fall off.