Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Air Force Rec Camp Closed in Seward

Default Air Force Rec Camp Closed in Seward

I am sure this isn't new news to many but I used it for the past 20 years. It gave us a place to camp while boating and fishing out of Seward with electricity, showers, fish cleaning house, freezers, vacuum packers, camp fire pit and picnic tables, water, dump station, and great people who worked there. I am starting to plan for next year and am looking for alternatives to what I don't have available to me any more. We usually go down with a small motorhome and a truck pulling the boat. I would need a camp site with electricity at a minimum that would allow a place to park my boat and truck, preferably at the camp site where I could plug it in. I probably would get a small freezer to take along such as the $160 Hier that Freddies sells. Some times we go down for a week. Anyone have any suggestions for facilities in Seward that could fit our needs?
    What-a-Day
    27' x 9.5' Glacier Craft - Volvo 300hp D4 Diesel
    Remember: Any fool can be uncomfortable.
    Denny

Dang!!! that's a bummer fer sure, that was a great place that had it all.. we stayed there several times.
    I don't know if you can camp at the Army camp, but they have great fish cleaning/vac-seal facilities and lots of freezer space, and I'm pretty sure they have just about eveything the A/F camp had
    It's realy a nice place.

I'm sure private enterprise will fill the gap, which is actually the way it should be anyway.

I am looking for some recommendations of places that folks have had good experiences with.
    What-a-Day
    Denny

How did you learn the Rec Camp will be closed for certain?

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    How did you learn the Rec Camp will be closed for certain?
    Rec camp is for sure closed. http://www.thesewardphoenixlog.com/s...rever/613.html

They were cleaning it up last July when I was down in Seward. They were explaining on the Army side where we were staying that the Army Rec area was getting a make over and the pretty much provided all the updated needs of the Military in general. Not sure what the plans are..but hope they either expand it into one big Rec area for military and veterans or turn it into another state RV park. Who knows
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

The boat and snowmachine shop is my customers for Snapon tools and they are still open to the best of my knowledge. They placed an order from me just this week.

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by dtol View Post
    I am sure this isn't new news to many but I used it for the past 20 years. It gave us a place to camp while boating and fishing out of Seward with electricity, showers, fish cleaning house, freezers, vacuum packers, camp fire pit and picnic tables, water, dump station, and great people who worked there. I am starting to plan for next year and am looking for alternatives to what I don't have available to me any more. We usually go down with a small motorhome and a truck pulling the boat. I would need a camp site with electricity at a minimum that would allow a place to park my boat and truck, preferably at the camp site where I could plug it in. I probably would get a small freezer to take along such as the $160 Hier that Freddies sells. Some times we go down for a week. Anyone have any suggestions for facilities in Seward that could fit our needs?
    All branches of military active, retired,,,ect can use the resort...here the link on who can use Seward http://sewardresort.com/eligibility.html

It's a great place to stay,,,I've used both the RV site and hotel rooms over the last 12 years.

The AF camp and the Army camp are side-by-side, but different orgs. The AF side is closing, but the Army side is not. The Army side is the nicer one with the fish cleaning house and vacuum sealers. Anyone who could use the AF can also use the Army.

Actually the AF camp would allow non-military in when they had empty spaces. The Army won't do this. Am a Viet Nam vet with 4 years in the Marine Corps and a retired Federal employee but not DOD. This does not qualify however. Therefore I have to find something in the private sector. So back to my original question. Does anyone have any experience with the private sector that they could share with me to help in my search for alternatives to the AF camp.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildwood_Hunter View Post
    The AF camp and the Army camp are side-by-side, but different orgs. The AF side is closing, but the Army side is not. The Army side is the nicer one with the fish cleaning house and vacuum sealers. Anyone who could use the AF can also use the Army.
    What-a-Day
    Denny

There is one just before you get to Seward called Stoney Creek. Here's the link to their site: http://www.stoneycreekrvpark.com/
    I stayed there once and it was fine.

There is also Millers Landing out at the end of the road. I've never stayed there myself but it might meet your needs: http://www.millerslandingak.com/campgrounds.htm

So far as camping with power, those are the only two I know of.

I hope this helps,

Bear Creek RV Park is just outside of Seward. Saw it last year for the 1st time & don't know much about other than its got electrical & water hookups if I remember correctly.
    2007 24ft NorthRiver OS
    Twin 175 Suzuki's
    "Thunderbird"
    MMSI #338033856

Quote Originally Posted by dtol View Post
    Actually the AF camp would allow non-military in when they had empty spaces. The Army won't do this. Am a Viet Nam vet with 4 years in the Marine Corps and a retired Federal employee but not DOD. This does not qualify however. Therefore I have to find something in the private sector. So back to my original question. Does anyone have any experience with the private sector that they could share with me to help in my search for alternatives to the AF camp.

Well if you don't Qualify, guess you don't need the info, but you can park just about anywhere in Alaska.

You have gotten some good suggestions. Also, look into the city campground. I don't believe they take reservations, but they do have large sites with elec. hookups. http://www.cityofseward.us/index.aspx?NID=864

Denny, I've stayed many times at Stoney Creek. As long as you get one of the creek front spots, it's a great place to stay, and there's usually a place to park your boat trailer there. The creek front row has full hookups, and you have privacy between you and the creek, well as much as you can get in an RV Park. The back rows however, IMHO, not worth getting. I don't believe they have full hookups, and it's basically parking lot camping. I usually look elsewhere unless I can get the creek front slots.

I've not stayed at Bear Creek RV as the spousal unit drove in one time and cancelled our reservations. She felt it was dirty and a little too "rustic".

Miller's Landing can't be beat from the perspective of its' location. I believe it has the added benefit of being able to tie your boat to a buoy and drive your dinghy in to the camp ground, saving a RT trip to the docks. I'd verify if this is an option first (I'll do that this year if its' available). We've stayed there for weekend visits before, but never for fishing. We're staying there for the first time this upcoming 4th of July to fish.

There's also a Seward city campground right opposite the Army Camp. It's rustic with no connections, but the campsites are large and quasi-private. My buddy usually stays there, sets up a pretty good sized camp, and stays for a week fishing. Also has room for the boat trailer. The city waterfront campgrounds are nice, but always crowded. It's first come/first serve and has a 14 day limitation, so it can be hit-n-miss, but they do have some sites with both electric and water.

There's also a little place just on the right as you come into Seward (Creekside RV) . My son has tent camped there, but I'm pretty sure your rig won't fit in there. And there's another one on the south of the highway just as you're coming around the bend into Seward that has a lot of room, but is also pretty rustic.

Last but not least, I've also stayed all the way out at Trail River Campground. It's a National Park campground just like the Russian River campground, and trailer parking can be an issue. It's also 25 miles into Seward

My first choice is usually the Army Rec Camp (I know, not an option for you, but I'm retired military), then Miller's, then Stoney Creek, in that order. Good luck, and give your preferred camp a call now, as their slots are either filled or fill very fast.

And finally, you can always team up and find yourself a deckhand that's retired or active duty military and work out a quid pro quo - he or she goes camping with you and reserves the RV slots at the Rec Camp and you take them fishing (and no, I'm not looking for that arrangement, just offering up ideas).

SH

I have a really hard time believing that the camp will actually close for very long. The economy is Seward has a very good forecast and it would seem unless they are going burn it to the ground upon leaving, there will be a new owner pretty quickly. But, I could be wrong. What is the word on the street on why they are hanging it up as they have been there forever?

What I heard is that with the consolidation of Elmendorf and Ft. Rich, they were looking at ways to consolidate. I worked on the contract for renovation of the AF camp back in the 90's, and it was embarrassing how little money the AF was putting into the facility compared to what the Army built, which is simply one of the nicest military recreation facilities in the world.

I also heard that the land reverts back to the City of Seward, and that they will either consider putting in a city-owned RV park, or sell it to a commercial developer.

Don't know how close it is to reality, but remember, you read it on the internet so it must be true!

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra Hotel View Post
    What I heard is that with the consolidation of Elmendorf and Ft. Rich, they were looking at ways to consolidate. I worked on the contract for renovation of the AF camp back in the 90's, and it was embarrassing how little money the AF was putting into the facility compared to what the Army built, which is simply one of the nicest military recreation facilities in the world.

I also heard that the land reverts back to the City of Seward, and that they will either consider putting in a city-owned RV park, or sell it to a commercial developer.

Don't know how close it is to reality, but remember, you read it on the internet so it must be true!
    I believe you are correct on the consolidation thing. However, along the same lines that you stated the Army sunk big $$ into an upgrade where as the AF wasn't spending much on their side of the camp. I had heard that Seward told them to clean it up or shut it down.. But That was before I had internet, so maybe that wasn't exactly true? (I don't know how to post those smileys yet)

If it goes to the City of Seward, Dennis won't have to worry about getting in there as I bet they work on it in May/June and get it open in time for the marathon. Camping, parking, boat launch fees, and the like are huge money for the City of Seward and this will only add to it. It sounds like a no-brainer and perfect to me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast