Thread: Henry Golden Boy, Marlin 39A, or Browning BL-22.... Want a nice lever action 22...

Default Henry Golden Boy, Marlin 39A, or Browning BL-22.... Want a nice lever action 22...

I own two lever action rifles, a customized Marlin Guide Gun 45/70 and a Henry Big Boy Deluxe II in 44 special/44 mag. Want to add a 22 lever action next. In Walmart tonight I saw the Henry 22 lever action (H001) for $299. Almost bought it, but wanted to research the subject a bit first.

Looks like for about $450 I could get the Henry Golden Boy, an upgraded version of the H001 I saw. Marlin 39A can be had for around $600. Browning BL-22 for about $700 (nickel with grade 2 furniture). Price is not a major factor with this purchase. I just want a really nice 22 lever action rifle.

Heard the Marlin is heavy, cumbersome, 24" barrel, etc.. Heard the trigger on the Browning is too heavy. Actually, I heard it was a terrible trigger, and it's design left little recourse in the way of trigger jobs and remedies. Heard the Henry was not in the same class as the Marlin or Browning, although everyone that owned one praised the gun's smooth action, trigger, and 'fun factor'. Love my Henry Big Boy, but having never seen or handled the Marlin 39A or Browning BL-22, I have limited insight.

What say you?

-Dan

I have one of the Henry .22Mag Goldenboys. It has a very smooth action, and is a tack driver! And a beautiful rifle, with the brass and octagon barrel. I would highly recomend it. I can't say anything for the other guns as I have never tried them, but the Henry is a good one.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

I've been running a Henry Lever 22 for a while now, they're good little rifles. Didn't like my cousin's golden boy 22 because the stock had too much drop. If I could do it all over again, I'd go for the octagon model. The rifle at 5.5 lbs is "whippy" in the offhand shooting postion. The octagon barrel model would still be light at 6 lbs even, but would give yah a bit more forward weight where precision is needed. IF you do go for the lighter one, count on working some creep off the trigger, it's very important when trying to settle down a light rifle on small game. Henry triggers are easy as all git out to smooth out.

I would get the Marlin or find a used Winchester 9422. Both seam to hold of better their value over the years. Both are smooth and accurate maybe Marlin winning the accuracy and Winchester the carrying and smoothness.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I have an H001 and love the little thing, its stamped and dye cast inside but well done, reliable and accurate as heck. Golden Boys are more traditional components and I’d like to have one someday. New I’d recommend the Henry hands down. Browning and Marlin . . . Marlin hasn’t made anything for over a year that wasn’t delivered broken and Browning seems a heck of a price for any imported 22.

If you want a “really nice 22 lever” start looking for a good used Winchester 9422 or an older Marlin!
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I have a Henry in the T version - 22lr, truly a nice gun to shoot and very smooth.... I really like the octo bbl - nice tough to class it up a little...
    Never had any function issues.... Lake Mainer said the stock is MUCH more comfy for me than the Golden Boy - had one and just could not shoot it...
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

I've got a very old marlin 39A Mountie with a bull barrel. It used to be my grandfathers. No serial # and very few markings on it. Sweet little gun. Straight shooter. Smooth action. Great trigger. It breaks in half and fits nicely in a tent bag or flyrod case. It's well traveled and I look forward to passing it on to my boy.

I've also shot the golden boy in .22 lr and .22 mag. Awesome guns. If I didn't have the 39A, I'd have a Henry. Still might get a 22 mag golden boy someday.

I heard Henry's factory sustained major damage from hurricane Sandy and that for a while it may be tough to find some of their rifles.
    "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

If you go with the octagon model, you'll also get a real front sight, and not a hooded piece of plastic. Likewise, an upgrade to a semi-buckhorn for the rear sight. Great sight combo. BUT, you loose the checkering in the stock.

For 42 years + I've had an Ithaca Model 72 Saddlegun. Made in Germany. Much better built than any of the aforementioned 22LR leverguns. Highly recommended.

Went to a LGS today and saw a beautiful Henry Sierra 22. A special edition nickel plated receiver with fancy engraving and gold flake. The stock was not to my liking and I couldn't find a good cheek weld so I reluctantly passed on it. Prettiest gun I have ever seen.

They had a Uberti Silverboy that my eye lined up directly on the sights at first glance. Don't know much about Uberti except it is made in Italy. Very nice looking rifle and the action and trigger felt just about as smooth as the Henry. Main difference was the shape of the stock, which was far more to my liking. I bought it. Just got home and shot it some in the back yard. Put a smile on my face. Initial impression is very favorable. Sweet gun.

-Dan

That is a sweet gun for sure! I have handled the one at my local sportsmans warehouse several times, and again, if i didn't have the 39A mountie, I would have brought home a golden boy henry or that shiny nickel plated uberti. Congrats on the new gun Dan!
    "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

I've been shooting a Marlin 39 for about 30 years. 1000's of rounds and still a very accurate and beautiful little lever gun. Buy one of the older ones before Freedom Group and before the push button safety. You'll have something to pass down to your grandkids. My .02.

Even the lower grade Uberti's are good guns so you should have no problem with your new rifle as it looks to be a higher grade.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I have them both, and you will not be dissapointed in either!!
    2003 220 Hewescraft Sea Runner 115 Yam'y, Soft Top "Schmidt Happens"