Thread: 6x6 for black bear where to go.

Default 6x6 for black bear where to go.

My brother and i have one week and a new 6x6. Where would you go for black bear in may or june? We dont want go to far from wasilla. I was thinking one of the trails around chikaloon.

If it was me I would go where the bears are at....

I think that was what he was wanting you to tell him. LOL

There are black bears around Chikaloon and Wasilla trying to find a location in May or June that is hunt-able and has black bear will depend more on your skill as a hunter and how hard you hunt than where you go.

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    I think that was what he was wanting you to tell him. LOL
    Ok hows this?

I would leave the 6x6 at home and glass from the highways north or south of Anchorage, spot a black bear/bears and make a stalk. This saves the gas money in the 6x6 for playing later on or going moose or caribou hunting in the fall with it.

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    Ok hows this?

I would leave the 6x6 at home and glass from the highways north or south of Anchorage, spot a black bear/bears and make a stalk. This saves the gas money in the 6x6 for playing later on or going moose or caribou hunting in the fall with it.
    That would work for me........... and it good information.

Hope cut off is always good for glassing and stalking.....IF AGL4now allows you in his area.
    BK

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    Hope cut off is always good for glassing and stalking.....IF AGL4now allows you in his area.
    BK
    In my experience, the Hope cutoff is decent for glassing, but often terrible for stalking due to the thick deadfall. It's also not an area that I would personally target in the spring, as the significant number of bait stations makes the bears less likely to be out feeding on fresh greens in visible locations.

I would take bronco's advice and look for areas where there are less likely to be lots of bait stations - either by distance traveled in non-motorized areas or by regulations barring bait stations. There are a few places within a couple hours of Anchorage the fit the bill nicely. Focus on avalanche chutes and similar clearings where the first greens are poking out.

Spring blackie can be trickie but more then doable.. Listen to broncos advice and leave the 6x at home.also listen to Brians advice.. The trick to black bear hunting is simple find the food find the bear... spring food usually consists of fresh grasses and such and they pop first on south facing slopes.. If you want to be successful find yourself a place where you can cover lots of real estate with your EYES not your feet and park your rearend and glass... My understanding is blackies are in numbers are 2nd only to caribou in Alaska..

I would like to thank those of you that gave helpful comments. My idea matched yours. My brother is convenced he has to use the ranger. I was hoping that someone would have some idea that might help us.

Of course some of you are as helpful as a bronko with a flat tire and no jack.

Quote Originally Posted by little dave View Post
    I would like to thank those of you that gave helpful comments. My idea matched yours. My brother is convenced he has to use the ranger. I was hoping that someone would have some idea that might help us.

Well if you think I am giving up my bear hunting spot that I can drive up in with a comfy Ranger 6x6(or a Bronco) you are out of your mind. And I do know of one or two locations that fit that description but I like most other people had to find them by doing the grunt work and not typing up on the internet hoping someone would give me a sweet bear hunting spot.

Having a flat tire and no jack sucks but isn't any worse than having a spare tire, jack, and not knowing how to use them which is where you are at now.

I would like to thank those of you that gave helpful comments. My idea matched yours. My brother is convinced he has to use the ranger. I was hoping that someone would have some idea that might help us.

Little Dave. Good to know your idea was helpful.

My brother and i have one week and a new 6x6. Where would you go for black bear in may or june?
    But then "time travelers" have certain advantages as they are able to compress May and June into one week.

Despite the clever choice of spelling (Bronko versus Bronco) post kind of sits akin to someone giving someone free cookies and then hearing them complain about them being too hot as they just got out of the oven.

Sorry I should have been more spesific. I am not new to hunting in Alaska, I am new to the 6X6. I dont want to know anyones hot spot just a trail head to start from. Sorry for the misstypings and missspelllings I am typing from my tablet. Thanksmto one of the nice members I have a location narrowed down to a general area.

Petersville
    Willow
    Denali HWY
    Kings River
    Puritan/Boulder
    Eureka
    Wrangell Saint Elias trails
    Lake Louise
    Broad Pass
    Hatchers Pass
    Talkeetna
    Etc, etc, etc

Another idea is to look at a map or the Alaska Atlas and see what trails are listed then go take a look at them in person. One mans idea of a good trail and another mans idea of a good trail are two completely different concepts! I for one do not suggest any trails that I think are good to people I work with since the majority of them are used to state maintained or logging company maintained trails. My trails typical involve river crossings, muskeg, and brush busting. Might explain why everything I own has been for a swim, has no paint on the under carriage and has plenty of Alaskan pinstriping?

Sorry I should have been more spesific. I am not new to hunting in Alaska, I am new to the 6X6. I dont want to know anyones hot spot just a trail head to start from. Sorry for the misstypings and missspelllings I am typing from my tablet. Thanksmto one of the nice members I have a location narrowed down to a general area.
    so no one here is nice cause you didnt get the exact answer you were looking for... seems to me you wanted to harvest a black bear and if you would listen to the advice given in this thread you would increase your chances dramatically....but what would I know about black bear hunting.. you want to tear up the trails go for it but its the LEAST productive way to hunt spring black bear..

I dont want to know anyones hot spot just a trail head to start from.
    For what it's worth, in some cases giving someone a trailhead to start from is the same thing as giving them your hotspot. I have a couple of ATV-accessible spots that I think have some excellent bear potential, but they are very short trails and only head straight to one mountainside in both cases. If I gave that trailhead info to someone, that would lead them right to the spot I'm thinking of. Many trails are like this, thus the reluctance you're seeing to share such info.

Look for trailheads that are near mountains. Head towards the mountains, look for chutes and clearings with new growth around the edges. Plant your butt on the ground and get out your spotting scope. Enjoy.

Indeed........think south facing slopes......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I agree. IMO, the thread had way more potential as a "get out and bait 'em up" as the bears will visit the bait. Kind of allows one to ATV to their hearts content (while conserving fuel on their thermacells). Meanwhile the bait stations lure in activity. But that type of hunting may not be for everyone as it's easier to drive the Denali highway and not see any bou.

Little Dave: Keep in mind that many hunters will be running baits that time of year. Potential conflicts remind me of last weeks episode of Wild West Alaska, as the Kid and Phred walk a river/stream offering to help the gold prospectors by fixing their firearms. One prospector suggested they go no further, as the prospectors upstream were less friendlier.

On a positive note, a black bear walked by our camp (just off the Denali highway) during the night over Labor Day weekend. That's good news for the OP as the tracks were headed towards Chickaloon.

One more thing. Congrat's to the OP on the purchase of the 6x6. Have fun. They can be a great tool.

Zero lake road! Trailer your ranger all the way in drop it at the old log landing and head on in... Some good bear hunting in there for sure pretty good spots in there for baiting... When you get in on the trail couple miles it splits go left...

[QUOTE=323;1240854]Zero lake road! Trailer your ranger all the way in drop it at the old log landing and head on in... Some good bear hunting in there for sure pretty good spots in there for baiting... When you get in on the trail couple miles it splits go left...[/QUOT

ive been in on this trail quite a few times the past couple years,.. the problem is unless you have an argo you are not making it more than 2 or 3 miles. the swamps have gotten brutal, they are difficult to even walk across

Bow certified? If not get certified, get proficient and go hit eklutna lake, open Sun thru Wed for ATVS. Seen upwards of 10 a day, only hunted them really when sheep hunting, yeah that tells you something there! That was fall though. Spring they will head down. Camp ground 9 miles back in there, plus forest service cabins if ya book in advance, probably too late for this year.