Thread: JBER predator hunting?

Default JBER predator hunting?

Anyone give this a shot? Or had any luck with coyotes on base?

I haven't hunted coyote there, but have done a lot of archery moose hunting this fall/winter during the permit period. We only saw a few yote tracks after the snow fell, but we were limited to the "moose archery" areas.

The biologists are very helpful (they operate out of the Wildlife Museum on Elmendorf), and can be reached at 552-0200/552-0190. They may be able to provide some tips, as they are out in the field frequently in their management efforts. They can also help if you have any questions regarding weapons or boundary restrictions associated with the regs and the "isportsman" permit sign-in rules.

Good luck.

Remember that their regulations only allow for shotgun or archery for small game.

For coyotes I would focus on the Muldoon side of things. There have not been a lot around in the past year based on yipping I've heard, but the coyotes in town here are fairly quiet compared to out in the Knik area.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf1 View Post
    I haven't hunted coyote there, but have done a lot of archery moose hunting this fall/winter during the permit period. We only saw a few yote tracks after the snow fell, but we were limited to the "moose archery" areas.

The biologists are very helpful (they operate out of the Wildlife Museum on Elmendorf), and can be reached at 552-0200/552-0190. They may be able to provide some tips, as they are out in the field frequently in their management efforts. They can also help if you have any questions regarding weapons or boundary restrictions associated with the regs and the "isportsman" permit sign-in rules.

Good luck.
    Thanks for the contact info.

I have been hunting rabbits for a few months on base with some luck.

Took this one just the other day..image.jpg

But would also like to try for a yote. I figure with all the small game sign (mostly fresh rabbit everywhere) there should be a few around.. If anyone has any experience and would like to go feel free to shoot me a PM. I'm always looking forward to getting out.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Ray View Post
    Remember that their regulations only allow for shotgun or archery for small game.

For coyotes I would focus on the Muldoon side of things. There have not been a lot around in the past year based on yipping I've heard, but the coyotes in town here are fairly quiet compared to out in the Knik area.
    Yes I did read that in the regs as well.. I usually keep a few loose buck shot and slugs with me..
    I figured if I found a decent spot I shouldn't have to much trouble calling them into shotgun range..

Would any of you guys be interesting in going next wkend? May 11-12 I've checked the regs and all that and I'm legal. We've ran around training past couple wks and I've have seen lots of sign out around pole line rd and again out behind the youth academy area. Lots of fox and yote tracks out around the big DZ as well. I know you have to be out of the areas by midnight but late afternoon till dark should be productive. I'll split fuel costs if that's an issue I'm just trying to get out and bushwack a few of these critters before our training ramps up again, some areas the snow is still knee deep but can me traversed without too much head ache.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogbuster0006 View Post
    Would any of you guys be interesting in going next wkend? May 11-12 I've checked the regs and all that and I'm legal. We've ran around training past couple wks and I've have seen lots of sign out around pole line rd and again out behind the youth academy area. Lots of fox and yote tracks out around the big DZ as well. I know you have to be out of the areas by midnight but late afternoon till dark should be productive. I'll split fuel costs if that's an issue I'm just trying to get out and bushwack a few of these critters before our training ramps up again, some areas the snow is still knee deep but can me traversed without too much head ache.
    If you do go out just remember the only animal you can target right now is coyote and I'm sure their hides are much less then prime at this point