Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Perfect hunting gun/caliber for a woman???

Default Perfect hunting gun/caliber for a woman???

I am looking at getting a rifle for my wife, she is 140 lbs, about 5ft 5 inches and will most likely be harvesting bou, deer and possibly moose. Any suggestions in caliber? .270, .280, 308, 300, 30-06? I want an effective caliber but with not a ton of punch. What do your wives shoot?

Thanks!

300 WSM with a muzzle break. Duckdon
    Forgive me for being arrogant. I own 2 Drahthaar's.
    Tundramoor Drahthaar Kennel. Training Versatile Dogs because we hunt it all.
    Memeber of the Alaska Warterfowl Association.

Big fan of the .308
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

My wife shoots a 7mm-08, and I am absolutely SOLD on that caliber for smaller-framed shooters. My wife is 5'0" and she handles that caliber very well. Loaded with 140 grain bullets she has thus far taken three shots at big game and harvested three animals - a very large caribou, a blacktail deer, and a black bear. My nephew also shoots a 7mm-08 and made an excellent one-shot kill on his first caribou. There are lots of options out there, but I'm firmly convinced that the 7mm-08 is the perfect combination of adequate power and low recoil. I'm pretty sure I'll be getting one for myself as a lightweight mountain rifle at some point.

My wife uses a .338-08, which is a great rifle. she wouldn't trade it for anything. i would also second the 7mm-08.

If you're anywhere near Eagle River, I'd be happy to meet you at the range and let your wife shoot a 7mm-08. We've got two of them and they're tack drivers that are easy on the shoulder.

My wife likes the .308Win. but as others mentioned she'd likely be as equally happy with a 7-08. She'll shoot my .300WSM but doesn't like it at all.

Remember that rifle fit is as important (more important IMHO) than the cartridge. There are a lot of good choices in the short action cartridges with shorter stocks and shorter carbine type barrels.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I think finding a rifle that fits is far more important than caliber. Women give birth. Some even do it without an epidural. I assisted in the births of both of my children and can guarantee you me, that if men were the ones that gave birth we would go extinct!
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by MTfisher View Post
    I am looking at getting a rifle for my wife, she is 140 lbs, about 5ft 5 inches and will most likely be harvesting bou, deer and possibly moose. Any suggestions in caliber? .270, .280, 308, 300, 30-06? I want an effective caliber but with not a ton of punch. What do your wives shoot?

Thanks!
    Best advice is to hook her up with some different rifles/calibers to shoot, discuss the pros/cons, capabilities/limitations of each, and let her decide what she likes.

The 6.5x55 gets passed over or dismissed by lots of folks who are unfamiliar with it, but it's an exceptional cartridge for what you want and I'd suggest she give it consideration.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    I think finding a rifle that fits is far more important than caliber. Women give birth. Some even do it without an epidural. I assisted in the births of both of my children and can guarantee you me, that if men were the ones that gave birth we would go extinct!
    LMAO yeah, let's try an experiment; hold the butt of your .300 mag up to your crotch and fire once every 10 minutes for 5 hours....might come close, from what I've observed....
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Quote Originally Posted by cdubbin View Post
    LMAO yeah, let's try an experiment; hold the butt of your .300 mag up to your crotch and fire once every 10 minutes for 5 hours....might come close, from what I've observed....
    Guess I forgot to finish my post. I meant to add that "woman are much tougher than men and with proper form, a light body will "move" with the recoil." I suspect that there have been studies on this.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

My wife shoots a 300 win mag with a break... She gave birth to three kids naturally with no pain relief. I am thinking of upgrading her to a .375 ruger 20" so I have someone to protect me when my, well, when I feel like a puss....
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Default Perfect hunting gun/caliber for a woman???

i don't hunt women.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Any 308 winchester carbine with 150 grainers for range time. Right before the hunt, re-tool with 200 grain nosler paritions or 200 grain woodleighs(Ak_lanche recipie). You'll get 2,400-2500 fps from a 200 grainer, with far less recoil than you'd imagine. Even smallish moose STOP 180 grain bullets and below, yes even the failsafes and x-bullets. With a long 200 grainer..... you stand a better chance of it exiting.

Better yet.....338 federal.

.308 is an awesome caliber with very manageable recoil. My 13yo daughter and 12yo son shoot a Remington bolt that I shot as a kid. I also shoot one at work which is a lot heavier gun with almost no recoil. Nice range of bullet selections. I would feel confident carrying it for everything but the largest of game. I know alot of guys/girls enjoy lighter calibers but you are sometimes forced to shoot light bullets. Winddrift, spindrift and knockdown power can become more of an issue with lighter bullets.

I have offered this before, never any takers. I have a.243, 7mm-08 (daughters), .308, 7mm mag, 8mm mag (muzzle break), .338 and a 375 H&H. Going along with Brian, we could meet at the range and she is welcome to shoot any of them to see what she likes.

Between mentally adjudicated and cybersapce

For what you're planning to hunt the 7mm-08 with 140 gr Barnes TSX is a great round. I have a Marlin XS7 youth model for my son. He and my wife both shoot it very easily. Very mild recoil, and excellent performance on Black bear, Hog, and White tail so far. I wouldn'y hesitate to use that round on anything in North America minus the great bears. They just deserve the respect of a bigger round, IMO.

We have a .308 Ruger Compact and a savage youth 7-08 in the house. Wife killed a moose with the .308 a few years ago, she shoots it well and it is nice to have the wider bullet weight options. That said the 7-08 is plenty for everything my wife of kid currently want to hunt and it is a *****cat to shoot. The 308 with 150's isn't bad but it is significantly stouter than the 7-08 with 140's and I just don't think anything shot properly will ever know the difference.

I have the same Savage 7mm-08 that I bought for my son in the youth model. 140 Winchester Fail Safe's I think. Accu trigger. Its very accurate, light recoil.

Love my browning 7mm-08

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast