Thread: Stolen Guns Ruger Mark II 338 WM and others

Wasilla, behind 3 Bears on the Palmer Wasilla Hwy

Default Stolen Guns Ruger Mark II 338 WM and others

State of Alaska Case # 13-5083
    Attention: Trooper Streicher, James P
    james.streicher@alaska.gov

Ruger M77 Mark II 338 Winchester Magnum cal. bolt action rifle, stainless, black synthetic stock with black nylon sling and a Luepold VX III 2.5 - 8 x 36mm scope. Model – 07854, Serial Number - 791-20239 - rifle was in well used conditions with numerous scratches and dings

Ruger M77 30/06 cal. bolt action rifle, blued action, wood stock, and an older Redfield 2-7 power, wide view scope. Also in well used condition with some worn blueing on the barrel and action and scratches and dings on the stock

Remington Nylon 66 semi-auto 22 cal. rifle Mohawk Brown.

Stevens 20 ga. bolt action shotgun, stock was split by the bolt and a piece of wood was missing.

Crossman M1 Carbine BB Gun – wood stock - missing the magazine and screw missing from forearm band allowing the forearm to come off.

I also had some tools and other stuff stolen

Pearls – around 10” single string

Masons Ceremonial Sword with leather sheath.

Black nylon hunting belt with a camouflage ammo carrier and 3 hunting knives. One knife was a fixed blade Bear Gillis knife, one was a Schrade folding hunter and one was a Gerber Gator folding knife.

Dewalt job site radio.

Dewalt 18 volt impact driver and battery.

Dewalt tools have company name, Mat Su Valley Carpentry or MSVC or Barry Munsell
    in magic marker on them.

Barry Munsell
    907-232-6177

bmunsell@alaska.com

Quote Originally Posted by bmunsell View Post

Ruger M77 Mark II 338 Winchester Magnum cal. bolt action rifle, stainless, black synthetic stock with black nylon sling and a Luepold VX III 2.5 - 8 x 36mm scope. Model – 07854, Serial Number - 791-20239 - rifle was in well used conditions with numerous scratches and dings

Ruger M77 30/06 cal. bolt action rifle, blued action, wood stock, and an older Redfield 2-7 power, wide view scope. Also in well used condition with some worn blueing on the barrel and action and scratches and dings on the stock

Stevens 20 ga. bolt action shotgun, stock was split by the bolt and a piece of wood was missing.

Crossman M1 Carbine BB Gun – wood stock - missing the magazine and screw missing from forearm band allowing the forearm to come off.

I also had some tools and other stuff stolen

Pearls – around 10” single string

Masons Ceremonial Sword with leather sheath.

Black nylon hunting belt with a camouflage ammo carrier and 3 hunting knives. One knife was a fixed blade Bear Gillis knife, one was a Schrade folding hunter and one was a Gerber Gator folding knife.

Dewalt job site radio.

Dewalt 18 volt impact driver and battery.

Dewalt tools have company name, Mat Su Valley Carpentry or MSVC or Barry Munsell
    in magic marker on them.

Barry Munsell
    907-232-6177

bmunsell@alaska.com

where was this stuff stolden from? wasilla?
    Semper Fi!

Trunk and Bogard area just over a week ago.
    BK

Did you notify the BATF?
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

There were some pics floating around earlier this week of a guy in a silver Subaru who was caught on tape breaking into homes on that side of Wasilla if I remember right?
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

ill keep an eye out
    Semper Fi!

I did a little research on notifying the BATF and couldn't find anything beyond requirements for dealers with federal licences to report guns that were stolen from their businesses.

I've also put together the list above and taken it to the 2 bigger pawnshops here in the Valley, but you have to wonder how much help they would really be. After all if they took something on pawn or bought something that turned out to be stolen and the pawner/seller couldn't be located it might end up coming out of their pocket. Of course it doesn't help much that we don't have the same kind of computerized stolen goods database that they seem to have in Anchorage here in the valley

The crappy part about the deal is not that the 2 good guns were stolen or even the Nylon 66 .22, I can go to the store or internet and replace them, its the family stuff. Its the old Stevens 20 ga. bolt action that I bought from my Grandfather for $10 back in 1966 or 67 and the bb-gun that my Uncle gave me in 1965 that are impossible to replace. They were both junky guns, the 20 ga. had a cracked stock with a chunk of wood missing up by the action and the Crossman M1 Carbine BB Gun was missing the magazine plus the band that held the forearm on was missing a screw so the forearm wood piece would fall off if you weren't careful. The Mason's Ceremonial Sword fell into the same category almost. Most of the markings on the sword and scabbard were wore off or badly tarnished and the stitching on the sheath was all coming out. I don't think it had any real value other than sentimental family value. And then there were the pearls. We had just borrowed them for our daughter to wear for her wedding and they belonged to a family friend. They appraised for around $500 I guess but a thief would probably do good to get $50 out of them.

All the gun stuff, pearls and sword were in a cheap little steel safe in the storage room in my garage. It looks like the thieves came in the garage walk-in door, either they bumped or picked the lock (it wasn't forced open) and went right to the safe which was pretty much in plain view with the storage room door open like normal (the pressure tank and water softener are also in the room so if you leave the door shut the room gets pretty humid, ah, at least that's my excuse) and, using a pry bar, popped the safe door open. They then grabbed the stuff in the safe, grabbed the knife belt laying on the shelf next to the safe and then on the way out, grabbed the radio and impact driver and took off. I knew that I had a cheap gun safe, but I never figured you could pry it open that easy. It wasn't even screwed to the wall and they never even moved it, just pried it open, bending the door in the middle and bending the locking tab on the top.

Any way, I guess I'm writing all this just to give the rest of you a heads up. After the fact I think that just a little more effort on our part, making sure that the deadbolts were all locked for instance and buying a better gun safe, would have saved us the trouble. Of course now that we've been robbed we will make the effort. How about you? Thanks for your comments and for keeping an eye out.

Do you have the other numbers? If so PM or email them to me so I can print it and stick it in my book.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Sorry about your loss. Just a thought about pawnshops. Years ago I was on grand jury duty for a 3 month period. The local pawnshops were very responsive to any stolen goods that came in to their shops. They notified LE when they had something they thought was hot and they came in to testify and brought records with them. I can't speak for all pawnshops in all places but these guys seemed pretty straight.

The local PD will have put the numbers in the national database. The pawn shop probably won't take the stuff now unless you left him money to loan on the stuff which is the best deal.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Hey Amigo, thanks for the tip, I'll check into doing that.

Quote Originally Posted by bmunsell View Post

Barry Munsell
    907-232-6177

bmunsell@alaska.com
    mohawk brown nylon 66 for sale on alaska's list:

I suggest taking matters into your own hands, drive down there tonight (anchor point), FIRST THING IN THE MORNING......... observing it, and if it's your's well......my ideas are too violent for the forum rules.......so I'll just leave it at that.
    http://alaskaslist.com/1/posts/9_Gen..._Nylon_66.html

Yep buy it and get signed recept,go stright to popo.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

There ain’t many Nylon 66es out there but I think that guy has down there has been trying to unload that one for a couple months now, I doubt it’s the stolen one.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Any time I buy a used gun from anyone (but especially when I buy from a private individual) I call the Troopers to make sure the numbers aren't listed as 'stolen' (or otherwise not legitimate) on a data base. It's about the ONLY thing I call them for, unless a friend or family member is over-due and I need to find out if there've been any accidents in the vicinity of their travel route.

I wish more persons called in numbers for a look-see when buying sought-after items that tend to be frequently targeted by thieves. There'd likely be a lot more thieves in jail, a lot more stuff returned to owners, etc.

Another plus is that the OP seems to have had the serial numbers saved in writing for the firearms in question. We'd ALL be miles ahead in this game if we kept the serial numbers, photos, etc., stored in a separate secure location, of/for any valuables that are likely to be stolen in a burglary. Otherwise we're left with little more than "Yeah, it looked a lot -like- that one, but I can't prove to the 100th percentile -that one- is mine...." Probably one of the best uses of a safe deposit box is storage of such identifiers.

Sorry for your losses, and the inherent violation that's experienced when some low-life enters our most private spaces...

Thanks for the tip on the Nylon 66. I doubt that this one was mine however. Just like all my guns, it had thousands of rounds of ammo through it over the years and had been packed around and banged around enough that no one would ever take it for new like the one seems to be in ad.