Thread: Potty training 7 week old golden at 40 below help

Default Potty training 7 week old golden at 40 below help

Should I take her out side or train her inside with paper? She is already retrieving ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359588857.213442.jpg

Thanks

The end result is trained to go out side

I have never used the paper way of training this. Every time pup wakes up I take it outside. If the pup hasn't been outside for a while I take him outside just in case he needs to go. Right after pup eats and drinks I take him outside.I use the command "outside" and when outside I issue the command "hurry up." When he goes I tell him "Good boy." He should learn to go quickly. Best of luck. These are trying times for both of you.

Having lived in fairbanks when I was growing up I can understand your concern with the weather. My mom always trained puppies with the paper method but I for one wouldnt do that, its like potty training the pup twice in my opinion. I would go with Jim's recommendations of using commands of "outside" and "hurry up"! Thats a good looking pup congrats and good luck.
    Jesse
    HR SHR JR's Gunny Dog "Ermey"
    SR JR's Marsh Mangling Mindy
    SR JR's LNR Thicket Thrashing Trixie

Oh my commands are "outside go" and "go potty".

She wakes up at six am and I put her back in her crate. Should I feed her or give her any water?

Cute pup. I am no expert, but did stay in a Holiday Express last night and sometimes play one on TV.

I have done as Jim recommended and am currently doing this with our new family member, Sage. She is a 16 week old lab and completely house broken. One thing I have done different is that we hang a bell off the door knob. She rings it to go outside and do her business. We started it at seven weeks and it took three days for her to figure out what the bell was for. She never pooped inside after that other than a couple of accidents in the crate while we were at work. It took her a bit longer with potty. She was having an accident here and there up until a couple of weeks ago. She would piddle and then ring the bell.

When we go to friends houses, we just bring the bell along. She rings it there as well. I cannot help you with the -40, but our pup went out at -12 and would take care of her business fast!
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    Cute pup. I am no expert, but did stay in a Holiday Express last night and sometimes play one on TV.

I have done as Jim recommended and am currently doing this with our new family member, Sage. She is a 16 week old lab and completely house broken. One thing I have done different is that we hang a bell off the door knob. She rings it to go outside and do her business. We started it at seven weeks and it took three days for her to figure out what the bell was for. She never pooped inside after that other than a couple of accidents in the crate while we were at work. It took her a bit longer with potty. She was having an accident here and there up until a couple of weeks ago. She would piddle and then ring the bell.

When we go to friends houses, we just bring the bell along. She rings it there as well. I cannot help you with the -40, but our pup went out at -12 and would take care of her business fast!
    That little trick with the bell is an excellent idea...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    That little trick with the bell is an excellent idea...!!!
    I tried to capture her whacking it with her nose, but my cell phone cam is too slow. This will give you the idea:

Thanks friends. My old golden came trained so I'm a bit rusty. I like the bell idea and while at wall mart they wanted fifteen dollars! But I'm a bit on the fence about the bells. I have had dogs that just whine.... And othe than one bout of explosive diarea ( old dog not this one) he was good at holding itImageUploadedByTapatalk1359605582.263727.jpg

$15 at Walmart? Wow! My daughter just corrected me. Our pup is 14 weeks, not 16 weeks. It is nice to have a pup around again. Our 13 year old springer is even starting to warm up to her.

I just hope my daughters are not giving her bad habits

So the pup just started going potty in her crate. What is the best way to fix this? ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359665999.237613.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Spookum View Post
    So the pup just started going potty in her crate. What is the best way to fix this? ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359665999.237613.jpg
    I would say that you would just want to reduce the length of time the pup is left in the crate. Most dogs would much prefer to go somewhere other than where they are stuck if given the opportunity. Going in there is a last resort. Take them out more frequently than they even need to and then just make sure to praise them when they do go in the right place (outdoors). I have a 7 month old lab right now. In the first few weeks (8-10 or so), I was watching the dog 100% of the time she wasn't in the crate. Any time she even hinted at looking for a good spot to go, we went outside. It was a bit tedius for me, but worth it in the long run. I got pretty lucky and she only went inside the house twice after I got her before she figured everything out. She still confuses the snow-covered deck with the yard every once in a while, but I can't really fault her for that (serves as a reminder to me to shovel the deck....). She has learned to bark once to let me know to let her out. I actually stood there at the door when she wanted to go out and barked and then only opened the door once she did as well. The bell idea works well, but I was looking for something that would work no matter where I was at (friends house, on a trip somewhere, etc... where there may not be a bell available.

Good idea but when I'm around and the crate is open, she will go in there to go pee. On the bright side I think this means she has learned not to pee on the carpet

Quote Originally Posted by Spookum View Post
    Good idea but when I'm around and the crate is open, she will go in there to go pee. On the bright side I think this means she has learned not to pee on the carpet
    Take any bedding out of the crate for a while. They do not prefer peeing on solid surface.

Piddle pads tend to train them that 1) it's okay to go potty inside the house, and (2) the potty spot is at the door, not through the door. Make her get used to rain, sleet, snow, cold, heat, anything the weather throws at you. That way you don't have a dog that needs to potty, but as soon as you open the door and she sees rain, she stops. Get her out in it.

Can of pennies with a lid helps a lot, better than yelling. It startles them enough that they stop what they are doing. Keep can near where you sit, and if you catch her squatting, shake the can like heck to make her abruptly stop, then take her outside. Love, love, love when she potties outside. And take her to the same spot every time so she can smell and recognize the purpose for the visit.

No water in the crate. No food in the crate. You control her bowels by controlling what, when, and how much she eats. Water in the crate tends to get turned over.

Potty right before going in the crate. Potty right after coming out of crate.

Puppies tend to go through a period of forgetfulness also when they get to about 3-4 months old. They do well with their housebreaking, then it's like they've lost their mind and start having accidents in the house again. It's temporary.

One mistake people make is they put the puppy out the door for 10-15 minutes, assume it went potty, and let it back in. Then it pees on the floor. Need to get out there with it and make sure, also continuing the positive reinforcement. Once it really has it down, then you can let it out by itself. Usually at least 4 months old before they get reliable enough to take care of it themselves.
    Fly fishing makes me herl

Thanks! That helps a bunch

Why has this thread been up here so long for something so basic. It's called crate training, basicly the pup is kept in the crate 100% of the time that you are not watching it. go to retriever training forum and on front page it has a full write up in it, just follow directions and the pup gets trained not to go until outside. won't take but a couple 3 days and the pup will hold it all night in the crate, if you can't find the write up, pm me and i will send it to u. Bud
    Wasilla

All super good advice thus far (ignoring the recent sour grapes comment). I did exactly as Jim McCann describes; also crate trained in the house at night; and taught him to let me know when he needs to go out. My pup came home in November and it was both a very cold and very snowy winter that year. Once we progressed from going out on a leash to going out somewhat unattended, we had a short period where he thought perhaps the porch sufficed as far enough out (whether it was shoveled or not). So, we had a few discussions wherein I redefined the term "OUTSIDE!", which involved pitching him off the porch into the snow (not as bad as it sounds), and he quickly got the picture. He developed a lifelong preference for bounding through the snow, no matter how deep, way out someplace to a tree-well to do his business, so I've never had to clean up after him from any trafficked area. And of course he's the best dog in the world.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Default Crate training

http://www.retrievertraining.net/crate/kennel.htm

The above is the write up about crate training I was refering to. Please read it. I think it is one of the very best and easiest ways to train a pup to be a good indoor family member. Whining will go away after a day or two, if it should occur, no damage to the home, dogs love their kennel and willingly go in them. It's not mean or cruel, give it a try. Bud
    Wasilla