Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tandem axle trailer build

Default tandem axle trailer build

I want to start on a new tandem axle trailer. i need the dimensions 6x15. I know odd size but its only to carry atvs. I need help in trying to get the trailer down to 1000lbs or less. Anyone have any ideas? Oh and the tires are 15" and the axles are 3500lb. I need it that light because i dont have a big ass kicker truck so i have to watch how heavy it is.

Make it out of aluminum

If I had plans I probably could. I don't have have a lot of experience figureing out how much aluminum I need to make it strong enough. Everything I see onlineany for tandems is meant for car haulers. Way to heavy for me. If you have any ideas I'm open!

Default Trailer Plans are in our Store!

We have tons of build-it-yourself trailer plans in our store AT THIS LINK. http://www.outdoorsdirectory.com/sto...lgbh57if7d7r31 Check it out!

Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Tires, axles, springs and floor would weight 500# that leaves 500# for the frame you could do it with steel, thin steel. Just how many atv are you planning on halting. If you added duel brake that would help control the load when stopping.

I have a book that will tell you how to design a trailer, or you could pay a welding shop to draw up a design or just add up the weight of difference size box, and angle steel and go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    ...I have a book that will tell you how to design a trailer, or you could pay a welding shop to draw up a design or just add up the weight of difference size box, and angle steel and go for it.
    Or....... You could have a look at the link I posted. The plans in there are all from a trailer fabrication shop that used to be in Delta Junction, until the guy retired.

Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

i decided to use steel. im going to use 2x3x1/8" rectangle tube for frame. its going to be 60"x15'. I looked at the plans on the site and nothing really met my needs. I think the rectangle frame and a few angle irons between and maybe a rectangle or two between stringers would be fine. I have one axle already proper size and another thats to narrow but ill cut it and plug weld a tube to make it longer.
    I think if my math is right that the whole thing should weigh in around 1100 or less. Im figureing 500 for all axle components, and rectangle tube is about 4lbs foot, at 45ftx4=180lbs, angle is 2lbsx20'=40lbs. plywood=120lbs. tongue=50lbs chains and tie down locations=20lbs. fenders 80lbs. so i think im at around 1000 or so. Im giving a 10% error here also so i should be right around my mark. I think that the size of the steel is plenty for a rhino and a meat trailer. What do you guys think?

Go visit with Gary at Greatland welding.
    He will be able to help you vs. figuring this out on your own and wasting your time if it's incorrect.
    907-745-2383
    BK

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    Go visit with Gary at Greatland welding.
    He will be able to help you vs. figuring this out on your own and wasting your time if it's incorrect.
    907-745-2383
    BK
    thanks i will give him a call

I'm certainly no expert but....

2 3,500 lb. axles with 15" tires sound too heavy.
    2x3x1/8 frame sounds too light.

What is your tow vehicle?

Here is the thread where I built my 8 1/2' x 16' - http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...=trailer+build
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

In use -

AKmud

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Akmud that trailer looks nice. I have the axles already that's why I'm using 3500lb axles. I realise I don't need them but at this point they are free. (Have to lengthen one) as far as using 2x3x1/8", that's what my current single axle is using so in a perfect world it should be more than plenty. We have 12000lb trailers at work with 3/16 channel... So I may be wrong, if I am please enlighten me. It is being towed behind a Chrysler pacifica(can't get truck until end of summer, long story)
    It can tow 3500 and it has a tow package. It pulls 3000-3500 fine I just want to make it easy for the car.

Quote Originally Posted by AKmud View Post
    Here is the thread where I built my 8 1/2' x 16' - http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...=trailer+build
    ak mud did you ever get a weight on the trailer?

Quote Originally Posted by shayno View Post
    ak mud did you ever get a weight on the trailer?
    I think my metal package was just under 800# but I had probably 200# left over (bought a 20' stick of 3x4x1/4 (heavy...)for the tongue and used 9'). With axles and plywood I would guess in the 1000-1200# range.

We pull our trailer loaded like in the pic with our 1/2 ton Suburban with zero problems. If I were you, I'd build it full 8 1/2' wide so when you get your truck you won't be wishing for a bigger trailer. Just load it a little light when pulling with the smaller rig.
    You are welcome to come over and pull mine around a bit if you want to see how your rig handles it.
    AKmud

Quote Originally Posted by AKmud View Post
    I think my metal package was just under 800# but I had probably 200# left over (bought a 20' stick of 3x4x1/4 (heavy...)for the tongue and used 9'). With axles and plywood I would guess in the 1000-1200# range.

We pull our trailer loaded like in the pic with our 1/2 ton Suburban with zero problems. If I were you, I'd build it full 8 1/2' wide so when you get your truck you won't be wishing for a bigger trailer. Just load it a little light when pulling with the smaller rig.
    You are welcome to come over and pull mine around a bit if you want to see how your rig handles it.
    Thanks for the offer! I was guessing yours was in that range also. I have been thinking that i should build it bigger but.... Part of the reason i wanted it that narrow is because my car isnt that wide. I have had 8' wide snowmachine trailers and i didnt like pulling them at all, even though they were only 10' long. The othe issue is the rhino is to wide to turn on the trailer so no matter what it has to ride straight. Im going to look into the weigh of that channel you used, it might be lighter than rectangle. And i was thinking of doing brakes on one axle for economy reasons.

IMAG0605.jpgi started on the trailer frame today, took about 3 hours to cut and weld up. Took longer to roll out the welder and find tools as usual....
    Its 5x14'. I know its a little narrow but its striclty for my rhino and trailer. It will fit 3 atv's turned side ways without rhino fo course. The tandem axles i have are only 60" so i am just using what i have. Tomorrow i will weld on the axles and all the tie downs and ramps.

Looking good! I was wondering when we would start seeing pics...
    AKmud

spent couple hours today on trailer. BECAUSE this is a very purpose built trailer, i put the spring equalizer right in middle of the trailer. My rhino will always ride all the way forward. Now i need to figure out how to mount the lights. I also need to weld up the end of the frame, its already irritating me that its open!!
    I do think i want to mount the light on the back of the fenders, im tired of replacing broken ones. 581930_494226180637469_277161230_n.jpg882402_494280187298735_1379341450_o.jpg

NO TRAILER BRAKES? Watch out when you get in traffic, that much weight will push your car more than you think. If you go into the mountains, use your lower gears to slow you down, the brakes on the car will not last long. They will over heat and you will be on a long wild ride. Be safe.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast