Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lack of Elk hunt threads

Default Lack of Elk hunt threads

So, this year, much like the last 4 or 5 I decided to put in for the great Alaska elk hunt, and much like years past, I expect to draw a goose egg. I really like reading out people past trips and their successes as well as challenges, and much to my surprise I couldnt find much in the way of threads on here with experiences with the great Alaskan elk. That leaves me to wonder, why???

That is the one tag a really hope to get!Never had the chance to hunt them and is on my bucket list.Kodiakrain did a great write up on raspberry a few years ago and bighorse did a great one on etolin.If you haven't read them you should.Both fine trophies and great write up and pics.Good luck to ya hope this is my year!

Default Numbers

If you look at it from a numbers standpoint. There have been less than 100 elk taken off Etolin since the introduction in the 70's. That compared to an annual take of say Dall Sheep (275 aprox) and Moose (Lots more), equates to very few Alaskan Elk hunt stories. I'm not sure how many elk have been taken off the islands near Kodiak.

I did post photos and a story of my 2012 Etolin elk hunt. It was genuinly a challenging hunt. That Bull was huge! Not the rack but the body on it was very substantial. As I mentioned in the story we hauled repeated heavy loads for most of three days getting him out. There is also a story floating around with a huge 7x8 taken out of the alpine in 2011. That was a good hunt too.IMG_1420.jpg Here is another picture of the one I took.

The numbers of elk are not substantial. The Biologists only have estimates of the actual population. The forests of SE Alaska make monitoring very difficult. I commend them for sucessfully collaring the animals they have.

Even with the info and experience I have I would still only give myself low odds of taking another elk there if I won that permit again. I'd go again but I'd have a contingency of taking some Sitka deer.

Yeah... pretty much what Bighorse said... compare 798 sheep killed in 2011 versus 50 elk.
    (Where did you come up with 275 Bighorse? ...annual take on sheep is usually 600+ on harvest and another 100+ on draw permit)

Here's a bull my buddy (not a forum member) helped his NR brother take on Afognak in 2010.

Hunt went something like... fly to Afognak, wander around in the rain and alders for a couple of days, see a really big bear, see some elk in a meadow, sneak up on them - wading through a waist deep stream in process, get within ~375, put a couple of bullets in the closest bull, butcher and pack meat, fly home, dry out. Supporting testimony on body size being BIG.

Cheers,
    Rich
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

My sheep number was just something I picked up. It wasn't refrenced from the ADF&G site or anything creditable. Sorry, my bad. I knew it was much more substantial than the Elk harvest.

Nice bull you guys picked out. I was very impressed with the beautiful hair on the neck on these Roosevelt.

Classic Etolin bull. Facing down hill in a steep creek. Looks like he picked a decent hump to land on.
    Alpine is awesome...

Kind of like this one

+1 more on BIG. When you walk up to a dead one it's kind of like oops...
    Alpine is awesome...

BIG critters no doubt...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Awesome information and pictures, keep em coming. Honestly, I didn't realize they were that big bodied. Looks like having a young one along for packing duty would be a good idea.

is this the official elk thread? drew 715.

Man, those bulls are huge.

Quote Originally Posted by holtsy907 View Post
    is this the official elk thread? drew 715.
    There is no "official" thread for any hunt. Every once in a while someone will title a thread "official .....". that is just an attempt by them to consolidate future posts to one area, but by no means is it the only place people will post.

THOSE ARE SOME NICE ELK, CONGRATS! Looks like some tough country to hunt them in!!!

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    There is no "official" thread for any hunt. Every once in a while someone will title a thread "official .....". that is just an attempt by them to consolidate future posts to one area, but by no means is it the only place people will post.
    Thanks for the clarification anchskier

Quote Originally Posted by Ronster View Post
    Looks like having a young one along for packing duty would be a good idea.
    .....Or two or three......lol

Quote Originally Posted by Wyo2AK View Post
    Yeah... pretty much what Bighorse said... compare 798 sheep killed in 2011 versus 50 elk.
    (Where did you come up with 275 Bighorse? ...annual take on sheep is usually 600+ on harvest and another 100+ on draw permit)

Here's a bull my buddy (not a forum member) helped his NR brother take on Afognak in 2010.

Hunt went something like... fly to Afognak, wander around in the rain and alders for a couple of days, see a really big bear, see some elk in a meadow, sneak up on them - wading through a waist deep stream in process, get within ~375, put a couple of bullets in the closest bull, butcher and pack meat, fly home, dry out. Supporting testimony on body size being BIG.

Cheers,
    Rich
    That was like my experience, except there were absolutely no elk... we wandered for days (and it is THICK going; takes about an hour to cover a mile and it's hard to do quietly) and I even climbed to the top of the highest peak around... saw two deer and one griz but ZERO elk. Lots of beds and sign. Very atypical of my elk hunting experiences in Canada.

To whoever's going, I brought a machete and a file and I USED it.... I wished I could have chainsawed some paths a few weeks before opening as it's BRUTAL going...

Don't forget about this great hunt story..... http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...t=Rasberry+Elk

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post

thank you for your guidance... i'm a rookie to these forums. wanted to thank everyone for posting, i'm enjoying reading about your trips and seeing the pictures.

I think one of the reasons for lack of elk threads is that I don't see any potential to shoot a trophy size rack in Alaska. It looks like there is plenty of food for elk but not enough nutrients for antler growth. Just my guess. Meat hunters should enjoy them plenty though.

i just drew DE715 for afognak. have a buddy staying down there over the summer and fall for work and he drew a bear. can't wait to skip school to go down there. was planning for ten days. any and all advice is welcome, i've never been on this hunt and do not know anyone personally who has.

Quote Originally Posted by PacWestFishTaxidermy View Post
    I think one of the reasons for lack of elk threads is that I don't see any potential to shoot a trophy size rack in Alaska. It looks like there is plenty of food for elk but not enough nutrients for antler growth. Just my guess. Meat hunters should enjoy them plenty though.
    Perhaps. I think logistics and the tough terrain and weather is another reason. Personally, I would take a bull like what Bighorse got over anything offered in the lower 48, but that's just me. Fantastic bull.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast