Thread: leaving stuff at the strip

Default leaving stuff at the strip

I know its a long 7 months from sheep season, but I'm trying to shorten the time period (mentally) and do some planning. Sometime in mid July we'll be flying in to do some scouting with the supercub. I'm trying to think of some items that I can stash at the strip for the upcomming hunt. Not only what to stash, but how to stash it.

Was thinking of taking in enough salt for two capes, and storing in some jars, or plastic containers and burying it. A bottle of crown royal would make for a nice celebration at the strip. Maybe a couple mountain house for emergency rations.

What to store, and how to store it? Lots of rooming going in for the scout trip, but only 50 lb pack when we go hunting.

Only 4,800 hours until sheep hunting.........................................
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

I like using old ammo can, the metal army type. Some spare ammo, extra fuel maybe a book in case weather gets nasty. Some charcoal for grilling your fresh kill would be nice, maybe even a few fire logs. Think consumable so you have no extra weight to fly out.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    I like using old ammo can, the metal army type. Some spare ammo, extra fuel maybe a book in case weather gets nasty. Some charcoal for grilling your fresh kill would be nice, maybe even a few fire logs. Think consumable so you have no extra weight to fly out.
    I like it. Charcoal would be real treat. I've got one of those boxes and I'll keep an eye out for more.

Your book comment made me laugh. My first sheep hunt, my partner and I spent 5 days in a tent, rain and fog right to the ground. I brought a book, thinking way may have one or two days of that. Well I finished the book the first day, and my partner finished his.. Well we went to switch. I was reading a murder/mystery novel.....................and my buddy, who has a degree in math from Stanford, brought a book on differential equations and advanced game theory. Man that was a long couple days.

There are some sweet light weight bear proof canisters available too. They are not huge and would be a good option for food storage. Anything heavy perhaps that isn't too valuable. The hope is nobody would fool with your stuff but I wouldn't leave your Swaro out there.

Awesome idea! Good time to pick up trash and other crap "others" left there, as part of your back haul on that scouting trip.
    Don'tcha just HATE litter bugs and sign shooters?! Vermin that abuse our pristine places for selfish ends....
    Pack it in ... pack more out.
    BE the example.... Love it! You guys rock!
    That country was so hungry even the ravens were packin' a lunch.... HUNGRY I tell ya'!!

Quote Originally Posted by tlingitwarrior View Post
    I like it. Charcoal would be real treat. I've got one of those boxes and I'll keep an eye out for more.

Your book comment made me laugh. My first sheep hunt, my partner and I spent 5 days in a tent, rain and fog right to the ground. I brought a book, thinking way may have one or two days of that. Well I finished the book the first day, and my partner finished his.. Well we went to switch. I was reading a murder/mystery novel.....................and my buddy, who has a degree in math from Stanford, brought a book on differential equations and advanced game theory. Man that was a long couple days.
    But now you're a qualified rocket scientist, right? Most guys don't get an advanced math degree on a sheep hunt.

Great thread! I will hopefully be flying my wife and I in for our sheep hunt this fall, and will likewise be scouting things out in July. My payload is a bit larger than a Cub, but stashing some consumables is a great idea. Keep the ideas coming, fellas.

My first thought would be are you positive this will be your strip or is there a chance things could change. Next would be how far away from where you land are you anticipateing to hunt. I would go with Stid and keep in mind bringing it out too.. With that said I would bring as said salt, crown for sure but I would pack some foods that would make for a heck of a feast, something other then freeze dried that wont go bad like instant potatoes or other boxed stuff.i like cream in my coffee so maybe that canned milk,canned soup... Maybe an extra tarp or such to make a cozy camp to hunt out of,books for sure(my hunter had the federal list one time so I feel your pain), spare batteries,crown (was that said already.. ) fuel is a must( I always travel with a half gallon of white gas no matter what), camp chairs.. Some kind of game or deck of cards....

Any food I would try to vaccum pack for Oder control and I like the idea of the metal cans...

I had my hunting camp in a 55gal overpack drum we flew it in summer time packed in extra stuff as we could. Never counted on it being there when we got in to hunt. We even made a platform for the tent.

Default leaving stuff at the strip

Great idea, I am definitely taking in a bag of charcoal to the strip this year! It's perfect, 100% consumable and will even help getting rid of trash.

have buried waterproof stuff under water (cover with rocks) and in streams. If you do plan for water level changes. Mesh bag attached to rope makes it safer.

Sounds like Geocaching!

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    My first thought would be are you positive this will be your strip or is there a chance things could change.
    This is what has kept me from stashing anything at the strip the last couple of years. Before we head out, I have the pilot fill me in on any/all alternate strips within 20 miles. Although I have thus far returned to the insertion point, there were others that may have been viable options.

When I have stashed stuff at the strip, it was just a couple extra days worth of food to deal with being weathered in. That was a supercub though, so traveling light. In other areas or airplanes, I certainly think it makes a lot of sense.

Yk

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    My first thought would be are you positive this will be your strip or is there a chance things could change. Next would be how far away from where you land are you anticipateing to hunt. I would go with Stid and keep in mind bringing it out too.. With that said I would bring as said salt, crown for sure but I would pack some foods that would make for a heck of a feast, something other then freeze dried that wont go bad like instant potatoes or other boxed stuff.i like cream in my coffee so maybe that canned milk,canned soup... Maybe an extra tarp or such to make a cozy camp to hunt out of,books for sure(my hunter had the federal list one time so I feel your pain), spare batteries,crown (was that said already.. ) fuel is a must( I always travel with a half gallon of white gas no matter what), camp chairs.. Some kind of game or deck of cards....

Any food I would try to vaccum pack for Oder control and I like the idea of the metal cans...
    Oh......and did I say the Crown..???.......lol
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

5 gallon buckets with screw-on lids

3 days spare food
    Spare sleeping bag
    Spare tent or fly
    Ammo
    Stove Fuel
    Med kit
    Wire, Cord, assorted zip-ties, glue
    1 dura-flame log
    Extra game bags

I like the charcoal idea too. Maybe a pint of the good stuff for ceremonial purposes while waiting on the cub.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

Thanks for the great recommendations guys. On my list is charcoal, salt, extra book, xtra fuel for the jet boil, bottle of crown black, some olive oil and seasoning for the tenderloins, perhaps the frying pan from my jet boil. Instant taters, bag of jerky, 10 rounds of ammo. Probably an emergency blanket and a small tarp as well.

Not at all worried about other folks accessing it. Believe it or not, there are great hunting spots in this state that are still somewhat virgin, due to a variety of factors. If the scouting effort goes well, I'll leave the stuff. If not, it comes back home.

Oh, did I mention Crown Royal?

Well, since anything can happen between the time you put a cache out and go hunting, I'd recommend using something a bear can't get into. Steve's idea of the larger ammo cans is great. We've been using these metal 15 gallon barrels for fuel hauling lately in a cub. They fit nice behind the back seat. Not difficult to cut off and make barrel caches out of, you know the kind I think, where you cut it off six inches or so below the top, bend in the part below that so you can push the top down over, three holes around and three screws to secure it, when upright then the rain can't get in. I would not use a plastic bucket or anything plastic. And if there are trees there, I'd run a bit of cable around the barrel and around a tree to keep bears from pushing it to where you can't find it. Same with ammo can, chain it to a tree.

Crown Royal, eh? Pretty tempting <grin>.

Paper products? pocket fisherman? abacus? last 3 years weather report for the same dates? 1st aid kit?