Thread: Hoppers

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

Default Hoppers

I have seen two grasshoppers in my backyard in Wasilla, las August while sheep hunting in the Alaska Range I saw hundreds of hoppers. Alaskaflyfishinggoods.com sells them. So, does anyone fish them in southcentral? interior?

For those of you who have not experienced it, fishing dry hoppers in the rockies is awesome.
    My only gear sponsor is the salvation army - Dick Griffith

I fished chubby chernobyls on the Chena last year for Labor Day for grins after the grayling kept trying to eat my thingamabobber over a two-nymph rig. The grayling hit them hard, but their mouths were too small for the hooks (I had tied them for my June/July trip to Colorado so they were pretty big). I'm working on a good way to put them on a microtube to use a smaller hook, and definitely going to fish some small Charlie Boy hoppers this summer

Found a box of "Daves Hopper" (I think) in King Salmon and fished them dry for early run dollies on King Salmon creek, did great. Border Collies try tying them on smaller hooks with extended body for size.

George

That makes sense that the grayling hit big dries, and that their mouths are too small. I used to tie up small hoppers too, but there is something really cool about fishing big, dry, ugly flies.

George, any idea why the dollies were hitting them? Are there any big bugs out there that time of year? Hoppers are such a late "hatch" everywhere down south I can't imagine the fish were actually feeding on real grasshoppers, but maybe caught up feeding because of ice out.

At the risk of sounding blasphemous, the lack of dry fly fishing in Alaska is disappointing. I know it's here, but there is less than I expected.

Quote Originally Posted by scott_rn View Post
    At the risk of sounding blasphemous, the lack of dry fly fishing in Alaska is disappointing. I know it's here, but there is less than I expected.
    You might sound a little blasphemous Pike and sheefish will both take "dries," and Mr. McCann calls grayling God's gift to dry fly fishermen. The problem with trout is that they are so fat and lazy from eating flesh and eggs, neither of which float.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

You mean there's another way to flyfish??

When the trout and grays aren't taking my go to offerings, like egg patterns or hatching dries or nymphs, I pick out the biggest ugliest fly I've got, and voila, usually kill em on big leeches and a sub surface fly that has no character to it can't think of the name but the nymphs live inside and it looks like a piece of wood at first glance...... Also glo bug flies seem to work when nothing else will.... As for hoppers, I've had mixed success.... Jus depends on how hungry the fish are ...... Dragon fly nymphs work better IMO especially on lakes....

Release Lake Trout

Quote Originally Posted by border collies View Post
    I fished chubby chernobyls on the Chena last year for Labor Day for grins after the grayling kept trying to eat my thingamabobber over a two-nymph rig. The grayling hit them hard, but their mouths were too small for the hooks (I had tied them for my June/July trip to Colorado so they were pretty big). I'm working on a good way to put them on a microtube to use a smaller hook, and definitely going to fish some small Charlie Boy hoppers this summer
    I'm going to be a jerk here and point out that multiple hooks on a line are not legal in the Chena. Also, that graylings will take bigger stuff than you can reckon. How big were your flies?

I fish a lot of dries on the Chena and they'll take them readily but they're fussy about presentation. You won't spook them on a sloppy drift but they'll take a good look at your fly, decide against it, and wait for something more plausible to come along. I've found that they'll take dries onto the Chena into October. Never tried hoppers, sounds like I should!
    Mushing Tech: squeezing the romance out of dog mushing one post at a time

If the rules say "1 hook only" I'm sure that's what I was using. I guess after doing lots of fishing, some of the things run together. I know for sure I was dragging a nymph under a thingamabobber because I was flabbergasted when the grayling kept smashing the float. I was checked by a wildlife trooper while I was up there fishing, so I'm sure I was only fishing one hook if that was the rules. I was fishing the chubby chernobyls in size 8 tied on 2xl hooks. It's all I had in the box from the trip to Colorado where they were great for floating heavy droppers in rough pocket water.

I've caught trout, grayling, Dolly Varden, and pike on dry fies all over Alaska. Once while on a magazine assignment up out of Nome I found a bunch of silvers holding in a pool on a tiny clear water stream and right behind them were some large grayling waiting for salmon eggs. The grayling were down deep, but first one 20 inch fish, and then several others up to 23 inches rose for a size 16 Elk Hair Caddis. Same thing with rainbows holding for eggs. If you keep at it, present the fly correctly, sooner or later a fish will take it. A person needs to occasionally try mouse flies as well. The best I've had with deer hair mouse flies was on the AK Peninsula in a pretty little creek. Rainbows to 25 inches and a few 19 inch grayling slammed the mouse flies. You may not catch as many as those fishing deep, but it's loads of fun. Devote more time to fishing dry and you'll be rewarded...eventually! :-)

I had a similar experience on a certain Susitna tributary this summer. The kings were stacked up in a hole with a dozen grayling behind them, waiting for eggs. The hole was too deep to get a drift with an egg pattern but those grayling wouldn't pass up an elkhair caddis.

[edit: "stacked" in the current king salmon climate denotes the presence of king salmon, nothing more.]
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Scott RN, I can only think that they thought they were stones. Color and profile not the same but there are stone fly nymphs in the spring. I have caught spring dollies on mosquitoes but not as often as the hoppers.

The Railbelt has ample hoppers heck after the State boys trim down the road between Squarebanks and the Air Base the Ravens are out in force for weeks. That being said I have a couple of Letort Hoppers and Crickets I fish, however I mainly use general serach patterns "establish attractor" fishing works best IMO such as a Madam X works as both a Hopper, Stone and a Crane Fly etc..... again my Opinion. Well and my all time Fave a Coachman Trude aka Betty McNualt.

Tight lines!

I like this discussion, especially the cool stories.

I am glad I didn't give away all my hoppers.