Thread: 28' Bruin Cabin Cruiser

Default 28' Bruin Cabin Cruiser

Hi. Bought an aluminum boat this summer. I don't know too much about the builder - Bruin Boats, out of Nikiski. We picked it up in Homer - the previous owner stored it in the BayWeld parking lot in the winters.

It is a 28 footer with a 270 Horse Mercruiser Diesel and Bravo 3 outdrive - good for 27 knots or so on the GPS. We only got to try three trips last summer testing things out - hoping to do the usual PWS/Seward/Homer trips for Shrimp/Silvers/Halibut, maybe bear and sea ducks in the future and make some family memories. Its barely skinny enough to slip through the tunnel in Whittier.

We found a pot puller at a pawn shop in Wasilla and bought the full 5 pots setup, so we are ready to shrimp. Otherwise, it needed a new sounder/gps plus new wheels and tires on the trailer. A few more maintenance items (plus a washdown pump and fillet table) and we'll be ready.

We cannot wait for Summer!

Does anyone have info on Bruin boats?
    Where in the Valley to get the Mercruiser serviced?

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...p?albumid=2248

Quote Originally Posted by Archipelago View Post
    Hi. Bought an aluminum boat this summer. I don't know too much about the builder - Bruin Boats, out of Nikiski. We picked it up in Homer - the previous owner stored it in the BayWeld parking lot in the winters.

It is a 28 footer with a 270 Horse Mercruiser Diesel and Bravo 3 outdrive - good for 27 knots or so on the GPS. We only got to try three trips last summer testing things out - hoping to do the usual PWS/Seward/Homer trips for Shrimp/Silvers/Halibut, maybe bear and sea ducks in the future and make some family memories. Its barely skinny enough to slip through the tunnel in Whittier.

We found a pot puller at a pawn shop in Wasilla and bought the full 5 pots setup, so we are ready to shrimp. Otherwise, it needed a new sounder/gps plus new wheels and tires on the trailer. A few more maintenance items (plus a washdown pump and fillet table) and we'll be ready.

We cannot wait for Summer!

Does anyone have info on Bruin boats?
    Where in the Valley to get the Mercruiser serviced?

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...p?albumid=2248
    I think the guys over at AK Frontier Fabricators have just become a merc dealer.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Thanks Steve - I will give them a call.

As for the Bruin build - I guess not many have them. I have seen a few on the Peninsula, but info is hard to come by. Everything is really solid, and it rides great. The previous owner said it handles big water well but I'm really not looking to hit the Gulf in it anyway, so I hope I never need to know in PWS. If its hard to see, I had to shrink the picture down to almost nothing to post - I guess the longer I am on the site the more picture size I get???

I have been looking at Glaciercraft and Kingfisher for the past few years, and this boat seems closer to the GC - it saved me a few years wait, plus it was half price. I had the bug bad enough I was thinking about buying CNC aluminum and welding it myself (Specmar etc). I have since welded my own pot puller bracket - from the looks of it, it is good that I didn't attempt an entire boat. I have yet to weigh it, but with the motor and the way the boat is put together, I am guessing it is really heavy.

I guess no one is gonna say - wow, a Bruin? I heard they went out of business b/c they were building them better than BayWeld, just not charging enough. A fella can dream...

I think you got a great boat. After having spent a half dozen trips into PWS on my friends 26' Bruin, I am a big fan of Bruin boats. They made a STOUT boat - no shortcuts, no thin metal and clearly built for Alaska by design and execution. The friend's boat is seaworthy, sips fuel (diesel penta, 6gph @ 20k cruise) and rides well. His is utilitarian, which is his style. A big heater, comfortable bunks, pot puller and room to stow mountains of gear. You did well - that boat will last a very long time and is perfect for PWS other waters.