Thread: boat paint

Default boat paint

Ok, I was thinking of pulling my boat stick off and paint it instead. Just wana know before I get over my head.
    Is this easy process? approx time invovled start to finish? About how much $$$$
    I have a 26 Alaska and to replace the sticker is about $800 for both side and not including the back
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Gray View Post
    Ok, I was thinking of pulling my boat stick off and paint it instead. Just wana know before I get over my head.
    Is this easy process? approx time invovled start to finish? About how much $$$$
    I have a 26 Alaska and to replace the sticker is about $800 for both side and not including the back
    If its a metal boat its going to take a lot of prep work to make the paint/coating to stick well and look good. Maybe strip the decals and buff and shine the metal up nice. When i fished out in Bristol Bay there was a guy who would wipe/spray his whole boat with diesel fuel every fall before storing it, that boat always looked nice in the spring.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

I pulled the decals off my 260PE in about 12 hours, 8 for the first side, 4 for the rest. It's tricky, a little heat does wonders, a little more and it really sticks. I like the aluminum look but have been thinking of bottom paint. Any thoughts?

i got the full sides and decals for a Wooldridge 20' with a lot of extra material for $300 the two years ago. $800 sounds like a lot!!

I'am with pot builder. Full hull paint job done right on a 20ft boat not counting the cabin or deck will be over $120 per ft. Just price a gal of awlgrip paint plus a gal of primer. If you dont have any corrosion don't do it.

Just think how you'll feel after one of those bolts or screws sticking out from a dock in whittier scratches/dings up you hard earned expensive paint job !!!

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

You have to stay away from th extruded aluminum strips that are on a Hewscraft at the chine and deck about 1 in tape off the boat sandblast prime and paint. If you want a car quality job it will be very costly.