Thread: What boat for a 6 hp?

Default What boat for a 6 hp?

My saltwater boat was stolen last year while I was deployed. The only thing recovered was my 6hp kicker from a local pawn shop (unfortunately no fuel tank or hose... Gotta rebuy those). It's a standard 20" shaft, standard prop, and has about an hour on it. I cannot sell it for its value since its all scratched up, and it's virtually new, but a few years old.

I've decided not to sell it, but use it as a primary power source for another boat. I'm an avid hunter, so I'm thinking a freighter type canoe. Looking at the big ones you folks talk about, I don't think 6 hp is going to do it. However, if there are smaller useful boats out there, I'm all ears.

Are there any mods to the engine I should do for shallow water work?

Thanks for your help.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Default mainer's canoe?

Quote Originally Posted by Akheloce View Post
    My saltwater boat was stolen last year while I was deployed. The only thing recovered was my 6hp kicker from a local pawn shop (unfortunately no fuel tank or hose... Gotta rebuy those). It's a standard 20" shaft, standard prop, and has about an hour on it. I cannot sell it for its value since its all scratched up, and it's virtually new, but a few years old.

I've decided not to sell it, but use it as a primary power source for another boat. I'm an avid hunter, so I'm thinking a freighter type canoe. Looking at the big ones you folks talk about, I don't think 6 hp is going to do it. However, if there are smaller useful boats out there, I'm all ears.

Are there any mods to the engine I should do for shallow water work?

Thanks for your help.
    Mainer (in AK) had or still has a canoe on here that might be a perfect match for that motor. Not sure but I think he was only asking like 12 hundred. An Esquif cargo I believe. He posted pictures on this site of him and his boy getting both a caribou and a 50-some inch moose this past fall, using only that canoe for transportation.

This is the canoe:
    http://www.esquif.com/2008/canot_en.php?id=22

Let me know if you can't find mainer or his canoe and I'll send a direct link.

You would want to order the full transom version (like mine) no cutout.... 6hp would be perfect on the E-cargo. I'm running an 8hp and I added thwarts and stiffened the floor....love the hull on that boat, very slippery and paddles well....pm me an email address and I'll send you pictures. Another good boat for a six horse would be a Grumman Sport Boat....

need to do something to shortin the shaft for most canoes 20 is a little long for the grumman sport boat not sure about the other one

try to find one of those motor lifts...someone on here makes em. would work if transem is to shallow.
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

the lifts are no longer made unless you find a used one or friend makes one for you , the way you could fix it would to build up the transom about 6 on 7 inchs then a sport boat or some canoes will work, I have a 15 shaft on my eng. an razed the transom up about 8 inches so I could run the rivers ,
    all I did was bolt a strong pice of wood [ maple ] an bring it up about 6 inches it worked for a lot of years till I up graded to the better system ,
    the good lift , if you have acces to a person that can weld drop me a PM , an we can talk , I will show you how to put one together
    [ for your own use only ]
    SID

Just saw an wenonah Backwater at our local sport shop, it was 15' long and 41" at its widest. Also saw in catalog oldtown discovery sport that was 16'9".

Default What boat for a 6 hp?

Thanks for all the advice guys. I'm a bit jaded at the esquif based on Mainer's critique of the hull material, but it's not ruled out. Right now, I'm taking a break from working, so I won't be buying till summerish.

Next question, and I searched but could find my answer... If you were to want to take the non-experienced girlfriend and her floor mop dog on a gentle 2-3 day motor-canoe trip... Just camping, not hunting, where would you go? With the research I'm doing, I'm re-evaluating my choice to begin with. I'm inexperienced in running rivers with a motor in AK. My canoeing experience up here is paddling lakes, and in the lower 48, a few 50 milers on the gentle Suwanee River.

I've been a passenger several times on the little su, and once on the Talkeetna. My first time operating on a river was several years ago on the Talkeetna. We ran a 21' boat with an either 115, or 135 Honda Jet up to Clear Creek. The guy with experience caught a treble hook in his eye, and I had to run the boat downstream to the ramp. It was one of the more memorable and less favorable memories I have. (not a fan of Mahay's BTW).
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ