Thread: Moving to Prince of Wales - Fishing Advice?

Default Moving to Prince of Wales - Fishing Advice?

If this is the wrong forum for this let me know as I'm a newbie to the site. Well, I'm headed down to POW for work from April through the summer and was hoping to get some lip rippin advice. I am pretty familiar with steelhead/salmon fishing but maybe I could get some tips on baits to use and where to start looking for some good fishing (without divulging secret holes of course). I was also thinking about getting a boat to fish out on the ocean with, any chance I could find one there, and good/bad idea? Thanks in advance for the advice!

Last month's edition of Fish Alaska magazine was devoted to Prince of Wales Island. I'd go to their website and order a copy for reference. It's certainly not going to cover all of the bases, but it's worth a read.

I have fished out of Craig for about 8 years, always done well, Halibut, Salmon, rock fish and lings, you can just mouch for them, a 4 oz weight, hook and a chunk of herring. Just drop it to the bottom, (fishing for Halibut and Ling), bring it up about 10 feet jig it (fishing for Kings), slow retrieve, stop every 10 feet jig, (fishing for rock fish), Most any place out by Noyes Island, Whale Island, Warren Island, There are a lot of charters out there, just watch where they go, when they leave, drop in behind them. Just do not get to close.

Hey thanks for the advice! I did get the January edition of Fish Alaska, great stuff in there, probably help out a lot!

If your looking for a boat there are many for sale there used. If you want new go to the Bay Company in Craig they have a few brands of boats and outboards to choose from. Anything from small skiffs to 30 foot offshore boats.

Hey Guys,

I wanted to order that magazine as well. Is it the January 2013 magazine? If so, the link to it on thier website doesn't mention POW.
    http://www.fishalaskamagazine.com/ar.../0113_TOC.html

Maybe I have the wrong link?

Thanks, Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike9166 View Post
    Hey Guys,

I wanted to order that magazine as well. Is it the January 2013 magazine? If so, the link to it on thier website doesn't mention POW.
    http://www.fishalaskamagazine.com/ar.../0113_TOC.html

Maybe I have the wrong link?

Thanks, Mike
    No, it's the December 2012 issue.

My experience fishing POW is 23-24 yrs. old.

That said, I used to take my fir strip canoe up to Bear Lake (just north of Bear Creek and the road's crossing of the culvert/bridge) on your way from Klawock (where we lived) up to Thorne Bay and other points up-Island.

I'd paddle up to the north end of the lake and let the wind push me back toward the logging road we'd park near and launch from. I'd fish the sweepers and brush along the banks, 'wind-trolling,' and catch some NICE cut-throat trout.

There were some more radical streams off that road where steelhead fishing was reputable, though I didn't engage in that much, and, if the season warranted it, there was a pond up near Thorne bay that was a major honey hole for sockeye in season.

Lots of nice spots.

We'd do salt water fishing up off the north end of the Island, between Lab Bay and Pt. Baker, etc., jigging for both halibut and rock fish in the coves, often doing ok for both yellow eye and the 'but.

There was an oyster farm run by a fellow nick-named 'Bear,' near Coffman Cove. I'd stop in there on my way to either fishing or deer hunting, and if the weather had been such that Temsco Air couldn't get in to pick up his oysters that were bound for various restaurants, I'd score a heckuva deal on fresh oysters in the shell, sit in the clear-cuts or on the shore/banks, and shuck oysters..

Social life there was often void, but the clear-cuts, forest, beaches and streams were a form of peaceful solace.

Thanks akfshklr I ordered a copy!

Seems there's always a few boats for sale. A nice 22' Olympic for sale in front of the fireweed lodge right now.

i been a ocean guide in the craig area for 23 years. where are you going to be on the island? if you are in craig you should have a bigger boat to get out to the open ocean. if you are on the east side you can getaway with a 16 ft skiff but the fishing is not as constant not near as many kings or bottom fish.the coho fishing is later in the summer but short lived.I have 21 ft boat I'm going to put up for sale pretty soon if you are interested.