Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New gear for 2013

Default New gear for 2013

So what are some gear items that are fairly new on the market since the fall of 2012 that you guys are buying or upgrading to?

If your upgrading a certain aspect of your gear platform, what did you first have and why are you upgrading.

Perhaps consolidating what many of the veteran backpackers and light weight users are runnin will help newer folks and those tryin to achieve a lighter profile.

My list as usual will be upgrades but I started with another pack.

Adding a Kifaru Highcamp pack, 4.8 lbs naked. Pockets to be added later.

Adding a Kifaru Megatarp at 1.5lb.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

I think I'll be upgrading the contents of my freezer. It's a little light in sheep steaks in recent years, so I intend to add some tenderloins, backstraps, and associated steaks. An addition to my sheep horn collection comes as a free add-on, so that's not a bad deal.

In seriousness, I made a few upgrades last year and am feeling pretty good about my kit. I will likely buy an SL-3 after borrowing one last fall, but that's the only thing I can think of at the moment.

Man count me in. I'm feeling good about 2013.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

I just purchased a 12 person Seek Outside tipi, XL titanium stove, 2 person nest, Lil' Bug Out shelter with vestibule and CF pole, Klymit Inertia Xframe pad, and Golite poncho tarp. I'm trying to get my pack down to the mid 40's lbs. range (including rifle and food for 7 days) for my next mountain hunt. The tipi/stove I will use strictly for base camp, otherwise everything else I purchase will be in an attempt to get my pack wt. down. I don't know if I'll be able to make that weight, but I'm going to give 'er hell trying.

Either picking up the SL 3 (if I can find the flysheet only), or a sil-nylon tarp like the ones from outdoor equipment suppliers. Spent quite a bit last year on gear simply due to needing upgrades across the board and things coming to the end of their usable lives. Would love a lighter rifle, and a lighter or warmer for the same weight bag, but I would really like some tasty goodies and horns so my money may be spent on transport this year. I can make do with the gear i have - the tarp is pretty much locked in though.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Troutbum View Post
    Klymit Inertia Xframe pad
    No reservation on a cold back? I've seen them have yet to hear any feedback from the ounce counters.

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    No reservation on a cold back? I've seen them have yet to hear any feedback from the ounce counters.
    I read a lot of reviews prior to purchasing, and there were very few cons. They say if you place the pad inside your bag and then pluck/puff the bag up through the holes in the pad, it works really well for keeping you warm. I guess I'll see.

Gearscan.com had a link to the klymite pads for pretty cheap last I looked.

I read a lot of reviews prior to purchasing, and there were very few cons. They say if you place the pad inside your bag and then pluck/puff the bag up through the holes in the pad, it works really well for keeping you warm. I guess I'll see.
    I too am hoping to defy odds with ultralight gear this year and am certainly diggin the concept but my skinny ass might not sleep well on one of them. I'll have to hit AMH when they kick off the summer season.

So far Valandre Bloody Mary bag, Integral designs Wedge bivy.Sawyer Filter and another siltarp just trying to decide on using a Poncho tarp or regular.Also looking for a new pad either the thermarest Xtherm or the new BA Qcore ultralight.Both weigh around 16 ounces.

I did not know that you are supposed to use the Klymite pads in the bag makes sense if it works?Do they fit mummy bags well that way? Hmmm

I am also trying to get to about 40 lbs or less this year.

I can make it into the mountains again with what I've got. I think it will be a year of stocking up on powder and primers.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

I have considered going that way as well on the powders/bullets but I did kill some gear last year. Boots in particular are a must this season! They were really dead 2 years ago but I ran them last year despite the discomfort. I will send my Western Mt down bag back for overstuff as soon as I get back stateside which will round out my needs for the year. After that it will just be emptying the rest of the wallet contents in 70norths bank account.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramcam View Post
    So far Valandre Bloody Mary bag, Integral designs Wedge bivy.Sawyer Filter and another siltarp just trying to decide on using a Poncho tarp or regular.Also looking for a new pad either the thermarest Xtherm or the new BA Qcore ultralight.Both weigh around 16 ounces.

I did not know that you are supposed to use the Klymite pads in the bag makes sense if it works?Do they fit mummy bags well that way? Hmmm

I am also trying to get to about 40 lbs or less this year.
    It fits inside my MH Ultralamina perfectly.

I purchased a Thermarest Xtherm (14 oz, R value =5.7) to replace my Thermarest prolite 4 (24.5 oz R= 3.2).

I'm really looking forward to trying out one of the water-resistant down technologies- I contacted Tim Marshall at enlightened equipment to see when he would have it available for his quilts but he didn't know for sure yet. Zpacks offers their quilts with it, but they are a little more expensive than my budget allows. The estimated 18 ounces(!) for the entire 20 degree quilt with downtek would be nice though, considering my current 20 degree synthetic bag weight 3.5 pounds.

I picked up some costco carbon fiber trekking poles (14 oz), which Andrew Skurka endorsed , and a new multitool- the Gerber Dime (2.4 oz). I'm going to start pitching my SL3 with the poles to lose the 11 oz tent-pole.

I'll be picking up one of the Sawyer squeeze filters (3 oz) this year to replace my old MSR sweetwater (15.84 oz). That will be my biggest weight drop.

I'm under 50 pounds without food and water (including pack/frame), but there are still some big-ticket items I'll have to purchase to drop that much further. I'm definitely eyeing that Stone Glacier Terminus Bag. At 4 pounds, that would half the weight of my pack/frame.

...I'm trying to get my pack down to the mid 40's lbs. range (including rifle and food for 7 days) for my next mountain hunt. The tipi/stove I will use strictly for base camp, otherwise everything else I purchase will be in an attempt to get my pack wt. down. I don't know if I'll be able to make that weight, but I'm going to give 'er hell trying.
    Wow, sounds like an admirable and expensive goal!

To All....

What is your pack/gear/rifle weigh for a typical sheep hunt where you are packing all your gear? No food or water. What is acceptable to you? We know what AK Troutbums goal is.

I'm at 40-42lbs with partner splitting weight of my 2 man tent, MSR Reactor and Hyperflow filter. I'd have to spend quite a bit of money to drop a significant amount. 5 lbs would be significant to me.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    What is your pack/gear/rifle weigh for a typical sheep hunt where you are packing all your gear? No food or water.
    If I buy a new quilt and filter, and a few other small items (dyneema ironwire to replace my paracord, cell phone as camera, the new jetboil, etc.) I will be down to around 42 pounds. Buying that stone glacier bag would drop me below 40 but I'm not ready to spend $600 on a pack sight unseen. I'd rather invest in a new pair of optics before that. What I had last year, which was probably 60 pounds or so prefood and water, was good enough for me to hike 7 miles in and out for a caribou. I'm definitely getting into the big-ticket items for dropping weight.

Most importantly, though, is that I feel safe with what I bring, and when I'm in the field I don't feel overburdened. I sleep well, I'm always warm, and I have enough emergency gear to keep me alive if I get into trouble. A lighter pack can't get you in shape, either.

Cheaper just to lose 5 pounds of body weight...

I bought a set of Kryptek Cadog pants and jacket in Highlander. If that stuff blends half as well as it appears to be put together the sheep with have a hurting put on them this year. I really like the added fleece and kneepad pouches, Im really looking forward to try them out.

Getting a lighter tent is first on my list for mountain hunting. I am looking into a set of the Kuiu superdown pants and jacket. And a new jet boil, mine is about to kick the bucket after all these years. I'm going to have to get some new tag bags, I left a few down on Kodiak, as well as my Kuiu guide beanie, they must have fell out of my coat pocket.

I'm starting to get into bear baiting this year, so I have to get a tree stand, bait barrels, and a couple trail cams for that.

Other than that, I think I'm good to go.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post

What is your pack/gear/rifle weigh for a typical sheep hunt where you are packing all your gear?
    I intentionally do not weigh my pack. I do indeed strive to be as light as possible while still providing for some creature comforts, but with my 5'0" wife as my go-to hunting partner, sometimes my pack is a bit heavier than I'd prefer.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast