Thread: North Gulf shrimp?

Default North Gulf shrimp?

I saw the discussions last summer about shrimping in the north gulf. But did anyone actually have any luck out there? Just got the new puller and looking forward to my first shrimping season. Plan on working PWS regularly, but often go to Seward, too. Just curious whether it's worth setting the pots out to soak.

Thanks!

I suggest you call the biologist [I believe it's Homer] for the region. I did a quick search to try to find her number but didn't find anything quickly. The fishery can be very challenging with weather and currents using standard pot gear. She told me last year the majority of shrimp in the area are coonstripes which are much smaller than sidestripe and of course spot prawn. This is an important fact when you consider the regulated mesh size is 7/8" which is rather large for coonstripes allowing many to escape. If you take the time to contact her she will be more than happy to provide info and review the numbers from past seasons. Good luck and let us know how you do.

CLARIFICATION: I had the two smaller-sized shrimp backward in this post. Most NGC shrimp are SIDESTRIPES and we do catch a fair amount of the larger COONSTRIPES over in PWS. Sorry for any confusion.

Quote Originally Posted by AKluvr95 View Post
    I suggest you call the biologist [I believe it's Homer] for the region. I did a quick search to try to find her number but didn't find anything quickly. The fishery can be very challenging with weather and currents using standard pot gear. She told me last year the majority of shrimp in the area are coonstripes which are much smaller than sidestripe and of course spot prawn. This is an important fact when you consider the regulated mesh size is 7/8" which is rather large for coonstripes allowing many to escape. If you take the time to contact her she will be more than happy to provide info and review the numbers from past seasons. Good luck and let us know how you do.