Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Slow or Fast?

Default Slow or Fast?

This is probably another one of those "Ford/Chevy" or personality/stage of life questions. But I figured I would throw it up here anyways.

For some background - I'm a Homer kid that grew up goofing around Kachemak Bay, and commercial setnetting in PWS. After 20 years, the jellyfish and popweed hold no allure to me, but I LOVE PWS in general and would like to have my family experience it, even though my bride is more of the city/comforts of home type.

My family and I have grown our little company to the point where we can likely spend about $350K on a boat. We will use it sporadically for clients, some for the family that still setnets, but mostly it will be available for my personal use.

Now to my question. I have always been sold on the Ocean Sport Roamers - large back deck, decent cabin to stay dry, and fast. The used model I'm considering can hit 60mph fairly light. 35-38 knot cruise. This is attractive to me since I'm not retired yet, and it's nice to make the most of weekends, not spending 6+ hours to get to Montague. However having that much speed in a 34' boat costs $$.

I think my bride would prefer more of a Trawler type boat, in the 40' range, with a smaller deck and much roomer interior. Full galley, two staterooms, etc. More room to stretch out. And that's totally do able in my price range - and would actually probably save some $$, but of course we're talking 10 knot cruise and not trailerable. You could easily carry a PWC on the stern for your speed fix though.

What have you seen with your families? Obviously this is a higher price point, but is elbow room worth the sacrifice in speed? Is speed that important in the sound? Taking out clients?

In my bride's mind, and I do see where she's coming from, a Ocean Sport does not seem worth 6 TIMES the cost of a 24' used Sea Sport. The guy who is selling this Ocean Sport paid over $500K to have it built in 2009. Craziness.

Slow and Steady,...All the Way in my mind

You'll punish the family right out of wanting to go out there,...
    how often can you crank out speed like that anyway
    through just a little bit of chop,...now everybody is in a hurry to get home,...but will they want to go back out again ??

with my family, I've seen the, "Room to loiter in a comfy galley, watch movies on a laptop, cook up a nice meal,..
    even the lower noise level allowing for casual conversation,...(a fairly big deal with some women)
    makes the running time a big part of the enjoyment of the boat

it's no longer just a tool to get somewhere,...It Becomes The Experience

I'd bet even with clients, they won't be nearly as eager to Blast down somewhere, all noisy and windy, cold,....
    then to "Have to get outside fishing or something,..."
    as they would enjoy staying in the warm cabin, diesel rumbling away below, looking out the window,....and

Talking with You and your friends/coworkers, etc.
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

It is definitely a person preference thing. I am like you, I live in Anchorage and time is precious. I chose the higher speed option. I usually cruise at around 30kts. The Ocean Sport seems like a good boat, although I do not have experience on them. Two other options to consider is Seawolfmarine.com (I am biased) and Bayweld. With these, you can get exactly what you want as opposed to someone elses choices. With the numbers you posted, I am assuming that the Ocean Sport has twin D6's in it. They are great motors, but I imagine the working room in there is a bit tight.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Totally personal preference. I like speed and I have limited time as well. Have had to do some day trips to Montague, in a faster boat that's doable, not so much in a slower one. I've had many days when it was 40mph all the way to the south end with no issue. But the Trawlers sure can be nice! Good luck and happy hunting.
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Thanks all - and keep it coming. If this were just about "Me and the Boys" heading out with our brandy and cigars, I think speed would win hands down. But I like hanging out with my family and I want to take their preferences into consideration, and when you factor that in, I think Kodiak is on to something. Also, the more the years pass, it seems like if you're on a "nicer" boat going slow, the time actually passes faster than you would think versus if you were on in a small alloy skiff going the same speed.

Here are two exterior pics of what $350K will get you used. Granted this doesn't show much, but give you an idea. One will do almost 50knots WOT, and the other will do 16 knots WOT. - 35knot cruise and 11-12 knot cruise.

Attachment 67705Attachment 67706

Also, I don't know if any of you have seen this blog, but Kent Huisken cruises with his family in an OSR up to AK from the San Juans, and also all around Vancouver Island. Has some crazy stories, including one where a whale starts to take off with his anchor rode...and boat! http://www.332ak.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post
    Slow and Steady,...All the Way in my mind

it's no longer just a tool to get somewhere,...It Becomes The Experience
    My thoughts exactly. I love a slow cruise speed, as there is so much to enjoy when you don't have to be glued to the wheel with eyes peeled. That is not to suggest that I don't drive with care, but at a 9 knot cruise speed the pace of life slows, and a slower pace of life is exactly the beauty of a place like the Sound.

When I buy my own vessel, my must-haves include a flying bridge, a large back deck, a decent galley and comfortable table for sitting around. I'd also far rather have a rumbling diesel that burns a few gallons an hour at a slow cruise than a fast-burning gas engine that burns my pocketbook just to run for the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanSD View Post
    ...is elbow room worth the sacrifice in speed?
    Is speed that important in the sound?
    Yes.
    No.

...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Default Slow or Fast?

There are definitely two totally different experiences to be had there....I'm in the camp with jrogers and Dman in a alloy boat that moves out, and that suits our needs.
    But there are times when I look at kodiaks restored fishing boat and can't help but think that having something like that, or say a Nordic tug would be great!
    My family/work schedule doesn't allow us to spend all the time that we would like on the water, so it works for us to have most of the comforts of a big extended range boat packed into ours. It makes it a little tight when we get a big crowd onboard, but putting the throttles down and pushing 50mph with 8 people onboard is handy sometimes. (we need 8 on the boat to split gas money, otherwise we keep it under 4500rpm!)
    I think somebody mentioned it earlier, but in your situation, the big factor for me would be transportation of the boat. I like being able to take mine to other harbors in the state by road. I would say that if you're okay keeping it in the same place all the time and being a boatyard to slip once a year kinda boat then it really makes you decision harder. If you want to be able to trailer it, go fast and lighter. Anything small enough to tow doesn't sound like it'd be big enough to be what your wife is looking for!
    Good luck! And whatever you do, I hope you enjoy it!

Get a 35-40 downeast boat built and you'll have a 18-20 knot cruise and a nice family boat and you'll be able to run that speed in just about whatever the sound throws at ya.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Potbuilder has the right idea if you really can run that speed. I had a 40 twin diesel, 9 kt boat kept in whittier. I could stll leave anchorage at 4 pm on a friday and be at hidden cove by midnight when we have the long days. could only go to montahugh on vacations. on days when to windy for fast boats to run fast, it was pretty bouncy for slow boats to run slow. on nice days we could cook, etc when running. now, if doing it again, would perfer about a 28' that i could store in anchorage during the winter and just take out when it was nice, still be enough to get in when the weather blows up. one thing i found, moorage of a boat during the winter does more damage to the boat then using it in the summer. the ice and snow and shoveling can be hard on a boat. they are all a money pit, glad you can afford it. Bud
    Wasilla

How about a 35' diesel powered cold water www.coldwaterboats.com

Quote Originally Posted by pacific23 View Post
    How about a 35' diesel powered cold water www.coldwaterboats.com
    outdrives or outboards on it i suppose ??

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Not what your looking for but its a beauty of a boat for the money, lot more boat than those glorified tin cans. Cut the tower and outriggers off and you've got yourself one battlewagon of a boat !! Ain't many boats around that will stay with it when the poop hits the fan.

Listing for a friend, this is a very well maintained boat. Would make a very nice George's/Canyon boat.
    Asking $249K
    40 H&H Osmond beal 1998 hull
    2007 Cat C15 1100 hours
    20 knots @1950 24 knots full tilt
    New soundown 2012
    twin disc with trolling valve
    Oil changer system for engine and generator
    Electronic fuel priming pump
    500 gallons 3 aluminum tanks
    Bow Thruster with wireless remote
    9.5kw Northern Lights generator
    600 pound Eskimo ice chipper installed 2012
    Water Maker installed 2012
    Head
    Shower
    Hot water
    2 Heat/AC
    New Awlgrip on entire boat 2011
    Release marine Helm and fighting chair
    New cushions 2012
    Furuno fish finder
    Standard Horizon GPS
    North Star GPS
    2 Furuno radars
    2 Icom 504 VHF
    Simrad autopilot
    $15k JL Audio system with speakers, subwoofer and amps
    3 underwater lights on transom
    Life Raft
    Epirb
    Emergency tiller
    4 electric reel outlets
    Transom live well
    Boat is currently in the Virgin Islands but will be shipped up to Cape Cod in April Via Dockwise

For more info Email JoelFinley@gmail.com
    Tel: 617.888.2222

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Here's a couple more beauties
    http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2002.../United-States

2001 31 Duffy

Suffolk County, NY

$110,000

Will consider reasonable offers or trade for smaller boat plus cash

330 CUMMINS DIESEL 575HRS

FISH OR CRUISE IN COMFORT

RUN ALL DAY 6-8 GALS PER HOUR

Hull

British Racing Green

White pvc rub rails and extended spray rails and chine gaurds finished w stainless steel

Galley

Sink

30 gal fresh water w/6 gal Attwood HW heater

Microwaive

Three cabinates with built in shelves

Hanging locker

Down Below

V birth with filer and cushions with shelving above

and storage underneath

Bus heater

Stand up head with fresh water flush

Teak stairs from wheel house

Wheel House

Pomponette Fold down helm seat

18 “ destroyer wheel morse controls

Setee with telescoping table/bed with cushions

Flush deck ( no engine box) with two large oval hatches and split hatch over engine for easy inspection/maintenance

Electronics

Furuno 1610 radar

Raytheon 425 gps/plotter

Sitex 106 color fish finder

AM/FM stereo CD w/4 speakers

1500 Amp inverter/ battery charger

Windless

30 Amp Shore power w 25’ cord and pigtail

Cockpit

7 rod white powder coated rocket launcher plus 5 lee rod holders

3 hatches—2 for storage, one for rudder shaft

SW wash down

Engine 330 cummins 6BTA with 575 hrs PSS dripless shaft

132 gal center fuel tank

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

The Ocean Sports are beautiful boats. I was just on the 30' and 33' today at the in the water show on Lake Union. New the 33 was $400k with D6's. A colleague just brought one up from Seattle to Seward last year and he's had a lot of "clients" out, something like 12-15 people for a day trip and he had no problem getting that load up to 25kts cruise (I think you're overstating cruise speed) which is really something. I've done both speed (now) and slow (in the Sound before the family and crew grew up) and you need to decide. Clients will be day trips needing speed. Family times on an 8 kt boat in the Sound for weeks at a time are memories we treasure today. By the way, there are lots of BIG boats for sale in that price range at the in the water show. If you're serious, get on a plane and check things out. It goes on through this weekend.

Not seeing the photos Potbuilder.

Quote Originally Posted by power drifter View Post
    Not seeing the photos Potbuilder.
    Rutoh!!! not seeing any of them ??

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

This is the 40 H&H

de1.jpgde2.jpg

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Default Slow or Fast?

If I was running a charter, I'd want fast.

If I were paying the bill, I'd want slow, economical (full displacement) and enjoy where I am, not worried about where I'm going.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

This is the Duffy
    de3.jpgde4.jpg

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast