Thread: Adding some stuff

Default Adding some stuff

Just pulled the trigger on some new gear…

Marmot Astral 2P with footprint (tent - 5 lb 8 oz, footprint – 10 oz)

Snow Peak Hybrid Trail Cookset (8 oz)

ThermaRest Ridge Rest (14 oz…I know it is bulky but fail-proof)

Katydyn Base Camp water purification (13 oz)

Get the scissors out, take 3 feet and the corners off that pad and then we're talking!

SO...cut it in half and I have two pads. And use it for upper torso? Fill bottom half of sleeping bag with next days clothes?

I went with a 3/4 length pad for years in the interest of saving some weight, but as of last year I'm back to a full-length pad. Some ounces are worth it, and a comfortable pad qualifies.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    I went with a 3/4 length pad for years in the interest of saving some weight, but as of last year I'm back to a full-length pad. Some ounces are worth it, and a comfortable pad qualifies.
    Im with Brian some things are just better left alone when it comes to comfort.. I will say I do like those pads better especially in sheep country, I carry mine everywhere and in the jagged rocks glassing all day they sure feel like a lazyboy

Weight or bulk? For me it is almost more about the size of the item strapped to/stuffed in my pack (withing reason obviously) I really like having a more manageable sized pad for strapping to the pack, and I made a glassing pad out of the extra that fits perfectly in the top of my pack.

+1 on the Ridgerest. From padding on the rocks to a dry seat on the tundra, it's nice to have handy. I don't consider it bulk... I consider it not having to dig anything out of my pack when I stop to glass/rest/eat.

I've gone with the Big Agnes Insulated Air Core on some hunts in the interest of less bulk & better padding at night over more weight, but have gone back to the ridgerest. Way more useful and can't spring a leak.
    For me, an extra 5oz for the full size (6') over the 3/4 (4') is worth it- I can find somewhere else to lose 5oz.

Cheers,
    Rich
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Received the tent and cook set today and both were impressive. Tent is 4.5 pounds with fly, pole and drop cloth and a luxurious 34.5 sq ft. Set up was a breeze with color coded poles and tabs. Happy I spent the extra bucks for titanium cookset too.