Thread: Last Hurrah of the 2012-13 season

Default Last Hurrah of the 2012-13 season

Spent last week down in Washington hunting the last week of the waterfowl season. It was challenging this year due to the lack of birds (my impression) and the large amounts of corn that had been plowed under this year. Made finding a field that had areas that could be hid in, tough. But, we did end up having a couple of good shoots, got to watch some birds finish very nice, and also got to watch many more that didn't. Had the young black dog with me this year, and watched her wrestle those big birds and was very pleased with her performance. She's turning out to be one heck of a hunter. She stayed put in her blind until the command was given, and think she only screwed that up once (found her sitting outside her blind when I was trying to work some ducks into our field). Not too bad for a 15 month old dog.

some fields were easy to hide in, like this one. Three blinds blended in well, and the birds didn't have a clue...

This day was probably the funnest, as we had multiple 30+ flocks just dump right in, with about half landed before I called the shot. Watching them finish like this makes it really memorable.

Last day that we hunted for geese, found a field that had both geese and ducks working. Had to get the hero shot.....

The last day (morning) of the hunt was reserved for just ducks. Was a very fun shoot, and I was able to pick the drakes in colors that we just never see up here. Was a fun little hunt.

Nice shoot. Who was your outfitter??????????

Quote Originally Posted by 28 GA View Post
    Nice shoot. Who was your outfitter??????????
    Me.

Parents still live down in the area, its an annual hunt that my dad and I still make, and I keep my trailer and all the gear stashed at his house just for these occasions.....

Man wish we had late hunting like that must have been a blast
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

Looks to me like that was a sucess, someday Im gonna go south with the birds and shoot them in full plumage. Very nice thanks for sharing got everyones trigger finger itching im sure
    Jesse
    HR SHR JR's Gunny Dog "Ermey"
    SR JR's Marsh Mangling Mindy
    SR JR's LNR Thicket Thrashing Trixie

great hunt there, i used to hunt potholes, about how many goose deks did u have out. Bud
    Wasilla

Quote Originally Posted by akblackdawg View Post
    great hunt there, i used to hunt potholes, about how many goose deks did u have out. Bud
    I have about 60 FB's, 3 doz silo's, some shells (goose) and probably 3 dozen FB and shell duck decoys down there. We used anywhere between "everything we had" to 5 full body decoys out. We found one field that held about 200-300 birds on it the day we scouted it, and couldn't buy a goose the morning we hunted it. Everything we had coming, sort of faded off at about 80 yards then went away. We gave the field a few days to settle down, then went back out with 5 decoys and had them dangling right in front of us at about 20 yards and backpedaling. Sometimes, less is more. Its part of the fun/frustration of hunting birds that have been shot at for the past 5 months. They tend to get pretty smart. Other days, we put everything out we had, especially on "traffic" type fields.

After saying how smart the geese were, we had this little guy. I left my dad in the field just after 1030 in the morning, to go and scout fields for the next day. I was gone for about 2 hours, then drove the truck right to the spread. He got up from his blind, we were blabbing about the next days field, then grabbed decoys bags and started to pick up. Dog was running around....lots of noise and movement. I started to walk toward the farthest upwind decoys with an arm full of bags and noticed movement in the spread. I stopped to look, and here is a goose, feeding in the decoys. I drop the bags, walk back to the truck, load the gun then walk back out toward this goose. He fed toward me as I was walking to him, at about 15 yards, he must have decided the big skinny goose with the 4 legged black goose coming at him wasn't quite right, he took off, but tried to land just 10 yards farther away, and probably would have if it weren't for a black dog running under him. Made a pretty easy shot, and that was that. I think he was dain bramaged.

Also, just a picture of this bird. Was the last bird of my season. Really nice way to end it. Gorgeous bird. I brought him back just in case I decide to have him mounted.

Default Re: Last Hurrah of the 2012-13 season

Thanks for sharing I have been working on my decoys and making a portable blind this week. I can't wait for next season. I am heading to Missouri for the first time chasing spring snows. That should be a nice way to break up the time between seasons.

Beautiful sprig btw. I got my first band this year off of a Pintail, he is at the taxidermist now.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Great job man..brings back memories of the midwest for sure. Miss lying in those fields for sure.

Thanks for sharing..I needed that!
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Quote Originally Posted by 0321Tony View Post
    I am heading to Missouri for the first time chasing spring snows. That should be a nice way to break up the time between seasons.
    You'll have a blast. I did that hunt a few years back, and it was a great time. I was amazed at the "extended" tube a lot of the guys had on their guns. Some guys loaded 12 shells into there guns, and would empty them in a "volley" fire. I took the plug out of my gun, but found that I didn't always go through all 4 shots. I was picking birds, then shooting. Many with the extended tubes were just centering the flock and shooting as fast as they could. It was amazing how few birds all those shots brought down.

I used 3.5" shells, but would stick with 3" if I did it again. Many shots were under 40 yards at hovering birds, which weren't all that tough. Those 3.5" shells gave me a killer headache at the end of each day. Take lots of pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by DAllen View Post
    You'll have a blast. I did that hunt a few years back, and it was a great time. I was amazed at the "extended" tube a lot of the guys had on their guns. Some guys loaded 12 shells into there guns, and would empty them in a "volley" fire. I took the plug out of my gun, but found that I didn't always go through all 4 shots. I was picking birds, then shooting. Many with the extended tubes were just centering the flock and shooting as fast as they could. It was amazing how few birds all those shots brought down.

I used 3.5" shells, but would stick with 3" if I did it again. Many shots were under 40 yards at hovering birds, which weren't all that tough. Those 3.5" shells gave me a killer headache at the end of each day. Take lots of pictures.
    Thanks I am super excited about this hunt I have watched a ton of videos and tv shows about it and I am really glad I am actually going to finally get to do it. I had a heck of a time finding someone to go with me and was planning on going alone. I finally talked a buddy into going with me and it should be fun for him as this will be his first ever waterfowl hunt. I don't think he has ever even shot at a moving target but I am hoping to have enough opertunities to get him some birds too. I know it only took one duck hunt and it was deep in my blood after that. And once it's in your blood its like an itch that you can't scratch enough.

Just got back from Oregon hunted geese for 4 days on sauvies island.

Looks like an awesome time..thanks for the pics
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.