Thread: What to look for?

Default What to look for?

hey guys im planning on baiting for my first time this spring and was wondering what to look for when picking a spot to set up a bait?

i just started baiting a couple years ago and i set my bait station up in a stand of timber where a large lake and a large swamp came together. this area was not very remote, only about 3 miles off the highway, and only a quarter mile off of the wheeler trail. i baited at the beginning of may and it started getting hit heavy about 3 weeks later and i did pull a nice black bear off it. also i setup within 5 miles of a pretty good mountain range

dakata, just make sure you are within the legal requirements when you set up your bait stand. 1/4 mile off any highway or road, 1 mile from any dwelling, blah blah blah blah blah. anways, dont worry too much about location. there are bears everywhere and they will find the bait if you set it up correctly.

Pop corn and bacon grease. It's like crack for the bears. Started a new site last year between a swamp and ridgeline and with in two weeks I was getting hits every day. Of course then life got busy so I couldn't check and rebait like I should have but I got a nice little meat bear off it during the last two days of season.
    Good luck,
    Steve