Thread: Redhawk Bolt Timing Issue

Default Redhawk Bolt Timing Issue

Wondering if I might beg some wisdom/experience from those familier with the Ruger Redhawk.

The bolt on my revolver seems to be snapping out of the frame almost immediatly and riding the cylinder for almost the entire duration of the cylinder rotation. Occasionally the bolt will fail to unlock as the hammer is pulled back. The picture attached shows the hammer part way back and the bolt is still fully locked in the cylinder locking notch. It's a fairly new to me (read used) revlover and I did not notice this during check out.

Not real sure what to do, this is my first redhawk and I'm struggeling to find information about redhawk bolt timing online. I would like to skip the $130 shipping and months long delay to send it back to Ruger! Any thoughts or experiece with similar would be much appreciated.

- Joe

IMG_1049 (800x600).jpg

Default Redhawk Bolt Timing Issue

I'd check the hammer plunger to see if it dirty, or doesn't move freely.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The issue probably lies with the trigger plunger, which operates the cylinder latch, or the cylinder latch itself. One or both could be worn or improperly fitted. The nose of the trigger plunger starts resting on top of the cylinder latch and pulls it down when the trigger is pulled to the rear. If it slips off too soon, then it will drop the latch back onto the cylinder prematurely. A thorough cleaning and inspection would be the first step. Old, gummy oil is the source of many malfunctions in revolvers.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Quote Originally Posted by gunbugs View Post
    The issue probably lies with the trigger plunger, which operates the cylinder latch, or the cylinder latch itself. One or both could be worn or improperly fitted. The nose of the trigger plunger starts resting on top of the cylinder latch and pulls it down when the trigger is pulled to the rear. If it slips off too soon, then it will drop the latch back onto the cylinder prematurely. A thorough cleaning and inspection would be the first step. Old, gummy oil is the source of many malfunctions in revolvers.
    Ok, thanks. That gives me something to check up on. I definitly agree with the thorough cleaning comment. My first attempt at a fix was to dissasemble the revolver completly as per the factory instructions and scrub everything down with a liberal amount of Hoppies. Alas, no dice! Looks like a new trigger plunger can be had for only a few bucks.

Since it is a blued gun I'm guessing it is some years old. I'd still give Ruger a call, they may very well fix it for free and pay shipping both ways as S&W did for my 20 year old 629 a year ago. Definitely worth a phone call - the people at Ruger are nice and helpful and will most like fix your gun for free and check everything out.

I can tell from the scratch on the cylinder that the bolt or stop is clicking up immediately. The timing on my Redhawk is different from my S&Ws in that the stop just disengages for a small part of the rotation and then drags through most of the rotation. S&Ws if properly timed don't drag until shortly before they lock so you don't get the long drag marks if you close the gun in alignment.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by jrt34 View Post
    Wondering if I might beg some wisdom/experience from those familier with the Ruger Redhawk.

The bolt on my revolver seems to be snapping out of the frame almost immediatly and riding the cylinder for almost the entire duration of the cylinder rotation. Occasionally the bolt will fail to unlock as the hammer is pulled back. The picture attached shows the hammer part way back and the bolt is still fully locked in the cylinder locking notch. It's a fairly new to me (read used) revlover and I did not notice this during check out.

Not real sure what to do, this is my first redhawk and I'm struggeling to find information about redhawk bolt timing online. I would like to skip the $130 shipping and months long delay to send it back to Ruger! Any thoughts or experiece with similar would be much appreciated.

- Joe

IMG_1049 (800x600).jpg
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

On my Redhawk the cylinder latch, like tvf's, pops back up very quickly and rides the cylinder most of the way around.

When I sent mine in I had to call in advance to establish warranty, then they were willing to issue a call tag for free inbound to Ruger shipping, and then they shipped it back to me for free.

My problem is I can't hand the thing to the UPS/Fedex driver for the pickup because I work inside a gun free zone. So I paid the shipping to Ruger, I think about $75 UPS red Fbx to New Hampshire, but they sent it back with free to me shipping.

Thanks for everyone's comments. Perhaps a trip back home is indeed in the best interest. I'm learning that these are very different animals from my smith's and colt's!