Thread: Cordova & Valdez coho timing

Default Cordova & Valdez coho timing

Looking at making a trip to fish Valdez, then ferry over to Cordova for about a week. Anyone made this trip before and how easy and reliable is they ferry? Heard a story last year of it breaking down for several days.
    Was looking at being in Valdez around 8/26-31st, then Cordova 1st week of Sept. Obviously run timing can vary but how thick are the silver typically in Cordova?
    Main plan is to fish the road system and rent a skiff for a few days on the Eyak. Is the boat really necessary or just an added bonus?

the state ferry can break down any time but they do there best to keep the ship / boat on time to a point of getting a different ship to do the run
    timing ??? that is any body guest but the last of Augest / frist of Sept yoy should do well good luck

Silvers were a bust last year in Valdez and Cordova was slow too! How was your trip with Manns Charters last year? You my have more options on the KP if the silvers are a no show again, like kings in salt and steelhead in fresh if you have any questions PM me.

Good trip last year. Silvers my have been a bust but the Reds were fierce. Waiting it out more more season on the silvers and hitting KP mid July again. Did speak with a friend on Kodiak and they were a little better but not like the past. They're hoping it was just the floods a few years back but we'll see this year. If Kings & silvers are no shows, we have a bigger problem on our hands.
    Mike was great, going out with him again this year. Fishes hard and makes sure everyone has a good time. You get what you pay for when it comes to charters.

Quote Originally Posted by Col. F Rodder View Post
    Good trip last year. Silvers my have been a bust but the Reds were fierce. Waiting it out more more season on the silvers and hitting KP mid July again. Did speak with a friend on Kodiak and they were a little better but not like the past. They're hoping it was just the floods a few years back but we'll see this year. If Kings & silvers are no shows, we have a bigger problem on our hands.
    Mike was great, going out with him again this year. Fishes hard and makes sure everyone has a good time. You get what you pay for when it comes to charters.
    Last week of August Silver fishing should be great in Valdez. Always is! Last year no fish in ocean and fantastic fly fishing in local fly fishing only river. That should be the only hint you will need to find that river. Cordova was slow last year with lots of rain yet still fish to be caught. The road system offers lots of choices both in Valdez and Cordova.

Hey Lak, your new so PM is not possible. Not ever being to that area before, what rivers are available for river fishing. Thought most are closed. I prefer to river fly fish, thought most of Valdez is a terminal fishery involving Allison Point or the harbor.

Kings came in late on the Anchor and stayed below the fish wier for a long time. We all can hope the silvers come back they were a no show all over. Glad you had a great trip with Manns Charters, Mike a great!

Default Cordova

Looking at making a trip to fish Valdez, then ferry over to Cordova for about a week. Anyone made this trip before and how easy and reliable is they ferry? Heard a story last year of it breaking down for several days.
    Was looking at being in Valdez around 8/26-31st, then Cordova 1st week of Sept. Obviously run timing can vary but how thick are the silver typically in Cordova?
    Main plan is to fish the road system and rent a skiff for a few days on the Eyak. Is the boat really necessary or just an added bonus?
    We got caught in cordova last year when the ferry broke down. Had to fly everyone out to get back to work. That really put a crimp in our plans. My opinion is you need a skiff on the Eyak. Hard to fish otherwise.

KKolher understand the Eyak has limited access. Guess my ? about the skiff is are there enough other options to fish the road side. Ibeck, Alaganik slough, clear creek, etc. Was think about getting a skiff for maybe only 2-3 days and fish the other access points.

I've lived here thirty years, and if ya travel here perhaps we can hook up for a day of flyfishing...Ok hint of only fly fishing river open in Valdez, I don't like giving this out but it's pretty well known, (Robe River).Although this is a well known river, it is well protected by bears, so take all precations. It is outstanding silver fishing late August and September...My choice andthing black. It is easily accessed and hikeable. Yes Allison point is an option and not one to be missed some years. You will need some form of transportation to access these places and please don't resort to the harbor..this is a last resort only..Usually snaggers...
    Also a note Ibeck in Cordova can be pretty good along with some other road accessable creeks..Don't forget a light rod as i often forget the silvers and chase Dollies, but that is my fish of choice, not everyone else's.
    I'm still working on how to use this directory..

Hey Lak, your new so PM is not possible. Not ever being to that area before, what rivers are available for river fishing. Thought most are closed. I prefer to river fly fish, thought most of Valdez is a terminal fishery involving Allison Point or the harbor.