Thread: Towing w/ the minivan

Default Towing w/ the minivan

Hey guys,

My old F150 isn't really good to go on the roads anymore and I'm wondering if I were to install a hitch on my Toyota Sienna minivan can I tow and launch a 16' riveted jon boat w/ 40hp motor? I'd think it could at a good boat launch like Deshka Landing but not at 20 mile. You think this would work?

Thanks,
    The Cleaner

Ya I dont see why you would have a problem at the Deska

I pulled the boat in my avatar with my wifes Chevy Venture minivan once and launched at the Deshka. I did the job although it needed a pair of airbags on the rear end and probably wouldn't last forever . It was not necessarily the best rig to pull my boat but our same minivan pulled our old 15' Klamath w/ a 25 hp with no troubles at all.

Depending on the current milage on the van. Consider doing some maintance to the van also. Check things such as fluid levels, belts & hoses, transmission fluid service, tire condition/pressure, timing belt (if due for replacement) etc etc etc.

Doing these things will prevent an unwanted breakdown and an expensive tow bill. And costly repairs. Have a reputable shop do an inspection on the car. Not a "quickie lube" or such. But a full service repair shop. Usualy cost 1/2 - 1 hr labor. Money well spent.

I've been a automotive technician for 16 years trust me

And don't use Overdrive when towing with an automatic.

Default Tranny Cooler

You'll need to install an auxillary transmision cooler if you tow with a minivan.

Default Thanks

Thanks for all the advise. Sounds totally doable but watch the transmission.

I towed my 18ft Lowe with my Toyota Previa once. The problem was the transmission overheating. Didn't do it again.