Thread: Talkeetna Fishing

Default Talkeetna Fishing

Would sure like some info on fishing in the Talkeetna area in early June. Any lakes or rivers which are accessible by road would be great. What species to expect and any tips on how top catch-em would be helpful as well.
    Thanks a lot
    Last edited by dbobd2000; 05-05-2007 at 20:59. Reason: left out time of trip

go to clear creek, hike a ways, fish dry flies, catch and release
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Clear Creek isn't accessible by road, right AKPM? If he's looking for road accessible fishing, I believe there are a few lakes near Talkeetna that offer rainbow fishing and he could hit up Montana Creek or Willow Creek for rainbows and grayling.

Default Rainbow Trout

Try X - Y lakes for trout. Its marked by signs and has foot access right of the road. Shore fish good, folks use float tube or canoe its great. Mahay's rents the canoes locked up around the lake...you can rent them at the shop in town.

There are several lakes that hold good fish in them along the Talkeetna Highway road.

TSS
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Clear Creek isn't accessible by road, right AKPM? If he's looking for road accessible fishing, I believe there are a few lakes near Talkeetna that offer rainbow fishing and he could hit up Montana Creek or Willow Creek for rainbows and grayling.
    THe $60 is totally worth it to go to clear creek.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    THe $60 is totally worth it to go to clear creek.
    Not disputing that, but he asked for road accessible fishing. It's great to throw out other options, but you didn't mention the water taxi necessary and he might have ended up in Talkeetna a bit confused.

Fair Enough

P.S. Contact mahay's or tri river's charters for a nice little boat ride, its $60 and woth every penny, if you hike a bit.

Default nancy lakes canoe system

Here is an URL
    http://www.dnr.state.ak.us/parks/uni...k/nancysum.htm
    This is a great way to surface fish for bows without the crowds and you get to see some nice country. For river fishing, any river east of the parks highway will provide some decent trout fishing without the crowds. Be sure to get the fishing regs and read them well as these waters are C&R and artificial lures only. A few rivers to start out at are Willow Cr. Deception Cr. Caswell Cr. Goose Cr. Montanna Cr. The farther you hike the better the fishing. You might want to venture up the petersville rd. and try moose creek I think you have to pay to park now at the bridge,hike downstream .Anything west of the pks hwy you can combat fish for kings if the season is open during your vist. I would definately rent a canoe and do the nancy lake system. you can also head north to the Denali Hwy. and fish for grayling, try brushkana,valdez and windy creek. Hope this helps. Again, make sure you read the fishing regs well.
    Bushwaker

Default Thanks

Hey thanks guys,
    I really appreciate you all taking the time to help a fellow out. That's some good information which will come in handy. Will be in the area for a few days
    and this gives me some great options.
    Thanks again