Thread: Anchor Point Wave Height Buoy

Default Anchor Point Wave Height Buoy

If anyone is wondering what has happened to the Anchor Point wave height buoy it broke free again earlier this month and is awaiting redeployment. Here's a link to the story from AOOS: http://www.aoos.org/cook-inlet-buoy-...ing-community/.

Sure wish they could get that thing to stay put!
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

At least they didn't have the batteries and solar panels stolen like over here in Port Wells on PWS. For those interested, the yellow bouy at the bottom of Port Wells is back up and functioning again.

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    If anyone is wondering what has happened to the Anchor Point wave height buoy it broke free again earlier this month and is awaiting redeployment. Here's a link to the story from AOOS: http://www.aoos.org/cook-inlet-buoy-...ing-community/.

Sure wish they could get that thing to stay put!

At least they didn't have the batteries and solar panels stolen like over here in Port Wells on PWS.
    AKluvr95,

Really? Please tell me your joking.

Doug

According to Terry at the Harbormaster's that's what happened to them.
    Rob and I got close enough to see the solar panels have been replaced a few weeks ago.
    We also thought they may have moved it slightly more to the east [out toward the middle] than either of us recall.

Quote Originally Posted by AKExplore View Post
    AKluvr95,

Really? Please tell me your joking.

Doug

According to Terry at the Harbormaster's that's what happened to them.
    AKluvr95,

If Terry's story is true, than there are some really stupid people out in PWS. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot.

For people that may not be aware of it, not only can you use the hourly wind direction/velocity and wave height data from the bouy to validate a weather forecast from town, you can get hourly updates from the weather bouy on the marine VHF weather channels while you are out on the water as well.

A couple of years back while camping up in Port Wells, I was able to avoid 5-6 waves in the Pigot Point area by monitoring the hourly weather readings via my marine hand held VHF at our camp. The weather actually was worse than what the general forecast was predicting. We stayed an extra day at camp and returned to Whittier the next day in much calmer conditions thus avoiding getting the snot beat out of us.

Doug

I took a couple photos of that buoy this fall before they fixed it, I will dig them out and see if I can compare it to the ones I took before. Ought to be able to tell if anything was missing.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson