Thread: Fins Spectra Fishing Lines

Default Fins Spectra Fishing Lines

I just discovered a Spectra line I've never heard of before made by a company called Fins---http://www.finsfishing.com/. They have a number of different braids, some of which are 8 strand, and one that looks interesting to me that incorporates Dacron into it which gives it 8% to 10% stretch "under load" for situations where having some give to your line might be advantageous. I don't recall anyone mentioning it in any of the threads dealing with "favorite fishing lines" and was just wondering if anyone out there HAS tried any of their lines and especially their "Shock Absorbing" line.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Mutt
    I looked at that line as well. Incorporating dacron would increase the line diameter so i wrote it off for bottom fishing as it would be harder to hold bottom with the tide. They make some without the dacron that i may try. Up until you get the fish on stretch is a bad thing but once a fish is on some stretch would be nice. I sure like the spectra lines for jigging. Its nice to be able to really feel whats going on down there.

Try using a 10' top shot of mono, gives you a bit of stretch right where you need it but you still have all the sensitivity of braid and the small dia to cut through the tide and current.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by kgpcr View Post
    Mutt
    I looked at that line as well. Incorporating dacron would increase the line diameter so i wrote it off for bottom fishing as it would be harder to hold bottom with the tide. They make some without the dacron that i may try. Up until you get the fish on stretch is a bad thing but once a fish is on some stretch would be nice. I sure like the spectra lines for jigging. Its nice to be able to really feel whats going on down there.
    Yeah, I agree for the most part, though that "Dacron" incorporated line isn't that bad diameter wise---their 80 lb. braid is equivalent to 25 lb. mono. Tuf-Line's 80 lb. braid is equivalent to 20 lb. mono and PowerPro 18lb. mono according to their specs. But I still wouldn't use it at all for any "deep water" applications like halibut at 200'. Can you imagine having 200' of line out and having it stretch 20' on you!? But I think it would be great for salmon where having the forgiving "cushion" would be a good thing and the increased diameter wouldn't really mean much other than a little less line on your reel.

I like the sound of that "Wind Tamer" though I'm not sure that their "treated by means of a proprietary process" is anything much different than PowerPro's "enhanced body technology," or Tuf-Line's "Tension Lock Technology" or any of the other proprietary methods used by any of the braid manufacturers. I think they're all doing essentially the same thing to get a line that lays flat on your reel, has more body and is more abrasion resistant. To me, if one line works as well as any of the others price is my utmost concern.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com