View Poll Results: What do you love the best about the Great State of Alaska?

Voters
132. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Scenery

9 6.82%
  • Abundance of Game (in terms of numbers and density)

1 0.76%
  • Diversity of Game Species (Dall Sheep, Moose, Caribou etc.)

9 6.82%
  • Subsistence Lifestyles (Filling the freezer with Moose and Salmon)

6 4.55%
  • Pristine Wilderness (The Abundance of Unspoiled Land)

60 45.45%
  • Rural Lifestyle (Living in the Bush Lifestyle)

1 0.76%
  • Money (Abundance of Financial Opportunities)

1 0.76%
  • Diversity of Outdoor Activities (Skiing, Hiking, Camping, Hunting, Fishing, Trapping etc.)

35 26.52%
  • Proximity to Family and your Family Roots

5 3.79%
  • Hot Alaska Chicks

5 3.79%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you love most about the Great State of Alaska?

Default What do you love most about the Great State of Alaska?

What do you love most about the Great State of Alaska?

I chose pristine wilderness because I love the fact that I can go on a float hunt for a 100 miles or more and not see a living soul for days. To me that's what makes Alaska unique. I almost said the Hot Alaska Chicks because I met my wife up here, but she is originally from Oklahoma so I couldn't.

Man, tough choice! I voted the same as you, as the first thought that came to mind was "mountains", and that was the option that best fit. I truly love being on a remote mountaintop and looking in every direction and not seeing a sign of man. This past August my wife and I spent a week chasing sheep, and not only did we not see another person the entire time, we didn't even hear the distant sound of an airplane. There are few places in the world where such unspoiled solitude exists, and I am fortunate to live in such a place. Love it! (Almost every one of the other options are worthy of a vote, though.)

I voted for the Pristine Wilderness.

But, the Scenery ain't bad either.. This was today...

One more option that I'd add would be "best place to raise children". Of course, the reason that it's such a great place to raise kids is due to all of the above reasons, so I suppose you've got it covered.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    One more option that I'd add would be "best place to raise children". Of course, the reason that it's such a great place to raise kids is due to all of the above reasons, so I suppose you've got it covered.
    Yeah, that would have been a good one Brian. Sometimes I think mine take it for granted, but you are definitely right.

Case in point. I've taken my kids on float trips where they are catching grayling and rainbows all day long from sunrise to sunset. Sometimes with a fish grabbing the flies on the very first cast. And then I think, what is going to happen to them someday if they ever move away somewhere where reality hits them. Hopefully when they grow up they will decide to stay. One of my boys says when he grows up he wants to move to Hawaii to meet a bikini babe. I tell him why not marry one up here. My wife wears a bikini on our float trips when it gets sunny out.

I just love always being able to be outdoors. Spring time we are after black bears, rainbows, and pike, Summer it's all about salmon, fall is big game and waterfowl, winter is predators and ice fishing. I haven't sat on my butt watching tv for a whole weekend in some time.

It's hard not to fall in love with this place.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

let me think about it for a minute....

My favorite thing about Alaska is the full freezer every fall. It means to me that my family and I enjoyed the great out doors together, made memories and passed our knowledge of how to subsist from the wilderness and sea on to our daughter.
    This was her second summer and she has gone clamming, dipnetting, berry picking, moose, grouse, and rabbit hunting and enjoys every minute of it! Oh, and at two years of age she already thinks she should be able to drive my four wheeler on her own. I feel so fortunate to raise my girl I a place where we can do these things together.

Alaska is where I found my wife, my life partner. Good thing I came up here, no one else would have me.

Alaska has been my dream from the first time I saw it on the discovery channel and heard the adventures of a Great uncle of mine. Now that I am here I see that it is everything Id hoped it would be an more. I picked pristine wilderness because it is the closest. There is nothing more amazing then waking up in the morning, grabbing a coffee, walking outside your tent, and knowing that you must be in God's good grace to be living in this amazing land.

Although the diversity of outdoor activities, and the abundance of game and species is also nice! Maybe you should have an all of the above!

Quote Originally Posted by SuperCub View Post
    I voted for the Pristine Wilderness.

But, the Scenery ain't bad either.. This was today...
    .................................................. .....shes beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!

100+ miles of solitude with my little boy, rockin' in the back country.

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

still thinking....but leaning towards wilderness.

First and foremost, the amount of freedom we have here, followed by the rural lifestyle.
    Now what ?

Okay...for me wilderness wins.

Its that most live around Anchorage keeping up with the Jones. Worst part they are speading fast.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Waking up to this every day.....
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Boy ain't that the truth. I felt blessed that the first years of school for my kids were at Tustumena Elementary......such a neat little school with great teachers.

I also chose Pristine Wilderness....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Cool Thread Idea,....I'm Going with Pristine Wilderness also,...

Best part about all that is the amount of coastline also,....which means Access to that Wilderness

Diversity of Outdoor Activities, and Game/Subsistence lifestyle follow close behind

Tough choices,...and,...for me, "Raising Kids here,...is about as cool as it gets"

Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Some great pictures!!! I fell in love with the state the moment I saw it for the first time. The pristine Wilderness has it hands down but I wish I could have more than one choice. When you hear the saying "God's Country" Alaska is the true definition of the phrase. You can't look at it and think that it all happened by accident!!!
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast