Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How about some frame pics?

Default How about some frame pics?

Here is one I made out of 3/4" and 1" od stainless steel tubing for a 14' sotar legend.
    It is not as light as I would like but still lighter than one made with NRS fittings I think.
    I also feel for the way it is trussed I probably could of made it out of 3/4"and not used the 1"

Doesn't look to be able to fly out real well, but what a work of ART!

Looks pretty skookum. I'd like to see a pic of it on the tubes!
    good job,
    greg

Quote Originally Posted by power drifter View Post
    Doesn't look to be able to fly out real well, but what a work of ART!
    You are right, it does not break down.
    but I have a frame that does, that is suited for a passenger or meat.
    I don't know about art, but I had to scratch on both ends when putting it together!!!!
    It is designed after some frames I saw on the net.
    Tough task to get dimensions from photos,lots of guessing.
    After cutting the oar towers down it works good.
    thank you

[QUOTE=mrgsholly;1237451]Looks pretty skookum. I'd like to see a pic of it on the tubes!
    good job,
    greg[/QUOTE

It feels pretty skookum as well.
    I have some pics on the tubes in the water, but they are high centered in a computer that won't cooperate right now.
    If I can raise them I will post other wise I can in the spring.
    thank you

Here is a cargo module for the same boat

Nothin fancy, kept it simple for fishing and oar saddles for flying.

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Here is one I am building for a 12' sotar strike.
    It is made from 1 1/4" x 1/8" aluminum square tube.
    It is lighter than any frame I have messed with, we will see if it can take the strain.
    The bays are sized for these boxes or my cooler and a NRS plastic dry box.
    What I have left to do is put it in the water to gauge where to cut the oar towers to elevation and coat with bed liner to hide the ugly welds and stop the black marks on the boat and my hands.

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    Nothin fancy, kept it simple for fishing and oar saddles for flying.

That looks some kind of fancy to me.
    Very very nice
    I really like the grommet strips.
    What are her dimensions?
    Have you tried the oar saddles and what are your thoughts about them?
    Because I thought I might try to fab some.
    Thanks for posting

Custom Sotar bucket. 15ft2x5ft5. Self bailer. Fishes well, floats like a canoe and drafts very little under a moderate load.

The grommet strip is an internal load shelf, I weave it up like a shoe and I instantly have a low CG cargo platform.

I have not tried oar saddles but will e going with a set this year to cut weight.

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Custom Sotar bucket. 15ft2x5ft5. Self bailer. Fishes well, floats like a canoe and drafts very little under a moderate load.

The grommet strip is an internal load shelf, I weave it up like a shoe and I instantly have a low CG cargo platform.

I have not tried oar saddles but will e going with a set this year to cut weight.

Slick set up.
    thanks for the info.

I fly my gear up from NC so I needed a simple lightweight break down frame. Had the guys at Riverboat Works in Salida,CO make mine. Below is my 14.5' Sotar Goo hooked me up with. Awesome boat and the more I use it the more I realize it. I recently bought a 10' Sotar from Goo and had Riverboat Works make shorter side tubes (not sure technical name) so I could use the same frame with both rafts depending on which side tubes are used. I also had Sawyer make shorter middle sections for my 3 piece Pole Cats so the same oars can be used depending on which raft I am taking. While simple, this frame is very sturdy and supports my 300 lb arse well. Sometimes simple is better. When flying 4500 miles, this is certainly the case.

Alaska Contact

Dealer: Alaska Wildwater
    Attn: Goo Vogt
    PO Box 110615
    Anchorage, AK 99511
    AOD Directory Listing: CLICK HERE

Phone: 1-907-345-4308
    Email: sotaralaska@yahoo.com

http://www.riverboatworks.com/

-Dan
    Last edited by Michael Strahan; 01-27-2013 at 11:09.

Dan, I took the liberty of adding the AOD Directory listing for Goo to your contact info in your post. Man, that guy needs a website!

Couple of observations:

1. For flyout trips, weight is ALWAYS a factor. You can get by with a simple flat frame. The NRS Longhorn frame will work on pretty much any round boat and is the simplest, most available frame out there.

2. Dan, you know, you don't need those thwarts (unless you're using them for seats). They take up a huge amount of space in the boat and contribute nothing to performance. If you're running with two people, you might consider mounting a seat on that front bar, as long as it doesn't interfere with the sweep of your oars. Just a thought.

3. TWB (or Goo or anyone...): What's the capacity on that 15' Alaskan? Also, do you have a photo of the boat rolled up ready to load into the airplane? Finally, what does it weigh? I really like that boat, and would like to push more of my hunters into something like that on a rental basis. The challenge is when you get a group of four moose hunters; I find myself putting them into three 14' NRS Otters, because we have to plan for maximum loads (in case everyone fills their tags). It would be great to find a round boat that fits into the airplane nicely, isn't crazy heavy, and can still float fairly high with two guys, two moose and a camp aboard. Thoughts?

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Mike, I will get more photos. Being a urethane boat, it is a bit heavier than PVC. I wouldn't hesitate to carry 2 moose, 2 guys and a light camp. Estimating my heaviest load around 1200# I drafted very little water, 5in or so. Wish I could be more exact.

I believe as it sits, 89#.

Mike,

My 14.5' Sotar weighs 93 lbs in a boat bag, or rolled up in a large tarp and checker board pattern roped. The new 10 foot Sotar I just got from Goo, which is a self bailer, weighs 80 lbs. The frame I had made is 4 piece for easy flying, fits in a custom made Sotar dry bag with my oars, room for 9 foot king salmon spinning rods in tube, life jackets, etc.. in the same bag. One bag is the boat, one bag is everything else. Can't fly a raft any easier than that. I do in fact have the wife sit on the front thwart. Very comfortable on long trips and my wing span does go to the front of my frame.

Pic of the 14.5' Sotar rolled up....

Quote Originally Posted by mrgsholly View Post
    Looks pretty skookum. I'd like to see a pic of it on the tubes!
    good job,
    greg

Here is a pic of the legend with a frame made with NRS fittings.
    Still working on finding one with the ss frame

Here is one I made to raft two grabners together.
    poor pic but the best I can do

here is a close up of how it is put together.
    I welded up some cross fittings and those bolt to the tubing.
    so it can be knocked down

Mike, I will get more photos. Being a urethane boat, it is a bit heavier than PVC. I wouldn't hesitate to carry 2 moose, 2 guys and a light camp. Estimating my heaviest load around 1200# I drafted very little water, 5in or so. Wish I could be more exact.

I believe as it sits, 89#.
    Bit more on my raft

Specs:
    15'2
    5'5 wide
    19" tubes
    24" between the tubes
    10ft Welded grommet strip for cargo platform, awesome for stacking moose quarters. I leave the feet on til final destination.
    9'8 waterline.

I added a custom urethane chaff strip on top, it's pretty awesome for scraping while in the float. Very realistic.

Basic float config with cargo. I won't be going with a standard frame for our next big float hunt, rather oar rights and seats of some sort.

TWB that is one nice boat,
    Did you do the chaff strip yourself?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast