Thread: Looking for recommendations on bore sighter

Default Looking for recommendations on bore sighter

Have looked at a couple. What works and what to avoid?
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Now days I just shoot on paper at close range for left and right and the shoot 100 to sight in. Lining up the bore at 100 inches and setting scope to 100 inch target works well also. With the little ell shaped bore scope you can do all types of actions this way.JMOFO
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I have found most of the optical boresighters,(collimators), to work well. The trick is to check the boresighter on a rifle that you know has a good zero and record the correct setting on the boresighter for future use on non zeroed rifles. The one I use in the shop is dead on for windage and just a little high for elevation, about 6" at 100 yds. So I am told. Pretty close, really, for a boresighter. I usually tell folks to start at 25 yards for the first couple shots, get it centered, and then move out in distance.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

I tried several over the years but still own an old Bushnell with 3 adjustable collets. Any brand will get you on paper at 25 yards. The real advantage of owning a bore sighter is to draw out a grid pattern and mark where your rifle is sighted in at. Then while you are hunting you can check your zero easily.

I got a Leupold Zero Point a while back and it looks pretty slick. Have not actually mounted scope with it yet but it looks like it would do a good job and very easy to use. I have put it on a couple of already scoped rifles and it seems to line up well. I would do this as step 1 in the mounting process. Step 2 would be hanging a plumb line on a wall, inside or out, pull your bolt and eye through the bore and scope to make sure the windage reticle is plumb with the bore. A little spendy, but slick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXJO5UIXuj4

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/675...int-bore-sight
    "You will never know how much it cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it."
    ~ John Quincy Adams

Default Looking for recommendations on bore sighter

I have a leopold bore sighted (the magnetic one I think that MR is referring to). I works ok, and gets me on paper the first 2 rifles I used it on, but the "remove the bolt" method works best for me on the half dozen or so I tried it with. For a bolt gun, I put the rifle in a rest without the bolt. I visually line up the bore with the target, and adjust the scope to match. Always got me on paper, sometimes VERY close. For AR's Ido the same thing except with the lower removed. The two times I used the leopold, they were lever guns.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

My eyes have been the best bore sighter I have ever seen or used for a bolt action. Remove the bolt, place the rifle in a rest, look down the bore at a small object approx 30yards away- I like to target a single berry hanging on a bush- center it in the bore and adjust scope accordingly. This method has been more accurate than any other mechanical "bore sighted" rifle I have compared .

I have attempted a mechanical bore sighting device from Bushnell on 3 rifles, HUGE waste of time and ammunition.

Quote Originally Posted by .338WM View Post
    My eyes have been the best bore sighter I have ever seen or used for a bolt action. Remove the bolt, place the rifle in a rest, look down the bore at a small object approx 30yards away- I like to target a single berry hanging on a bush- center it in the bore and adjust scope accordingly. This method has been more accurate than any other mechanical "bore sighted" rifle I have compared .

I have attempted a mechanical bore sighting device from Bushnell on 3 rifles, HUGE waste of time and ammunition.

i do it this way also and it is crude but seems to work in a pinch. I also have those chaber laser boresighters from cabelas. (made is usa) They work about the same as looking down the barrel. good luck.