Thread: Thank you all for volunteering to help with the hay flats project

Default Thank you all for volunteering to help with the hay flats project

When I drove through Wasilla about 8:30 this morning I knew that it would be a challenge for some folks to get out and help today due to the -13 temp. Not sure of the exact count but we had at least a dozen turn out for the project. Really not bad conditions, clear and cold, no wind. One guy who lives close by made a quick trip home to change into lighter clothes after his became saturated with sweat. There were a lot of trees in the grove we worked on, and in the cold a lot of chain saw problems, but we got one side done. Difficult to drag the trees to the piles because of all the limbs still on the trees. If we had limbed them better, we would have had to drag the limbs seperately. My camera had problems but several others took photos of the project, we will be posting them on the AWA website and facebook page shortly. When I drove home through Wasilla at about 3pm, it was 4 degrees above, almost balmy compared to the morning. We expect to be announcing another project date to do the other half, which is smaller, shortly. I heard at least one comment about the project not really being worth it for the small nesting area and number of ducks that will be using it. The important thing here is that the pond area was man made as an experiment to see if ducks would utilize it and to what extent. Hopefully if it proves effective, F&G may well expand the project to include a greater area and much larger population of waterfowl, which will help all us hunters. Again, thanks to all those who volunteered and showed up. Next time I hope that all who volunteered will show up. it will be done quicker with more hands. Bud
    Wasilla

Quote Originally Posted by akblackdawg View Post
    When I drove through Wasilla about 8:30 this morning I knew that it would be a challenge for some folks to get out and help today due to the -13 temp. Not sure of the exact count but we had at least a dozen turn out for the project. Really not bad conditions, clear and cold, no wind. One guy who lives close by made a quick trip home to change into lighter clothes after his became saturated with sweat. There were a lot of trees in the grove we worked on, and in the cold a lot of chain saw problems, but we got one side done. Difficult to drag the trees to the piles because of all the limbs still on the trees. If we had limbed them better, we would have had to drag the limbs seperately. My camera had problems but several others took photos of the project, we will be posting them on the AWA website and facebook page shortly. When I drove home through Wasilla at about 3pm, it was 4 degrees above, almost balmy compared to the morning. We expect to be announcing another project date to do the other half, which is smaller, shortly. I heard at least one comment about the project not really being worth it for the small nesting area and number of ducks that will be using it. The important thing here is that the pond area was man made as an experiment to see if ducks would utilize it and to what extent. Hopefully if it proves effective, F&G may well expand the project to include a greater area and much larger population of waterfowl, which will help all us hunters. Again, thanks to all those who volunteered and showed up. Next time I hope that all who volunteered will show up. it will be done quicker with more hands. Bud
    Good times Bud. Send me a pm with your email address and I'll forward what pictures I have. The way I see it is that any effort for duck habitat is well worth the effort. Count me in on the second phase and thanks for the frozen soda.