Thread: Halibut sportfish limits stay the same in 2013

Default Halibut sportfish limits stay the same in 2013

that's crazy. shaking my head at what's going on.

BTW, Medred sure knows how to write an uninformed article. No wonde why people are losing faith in reporters.

Why does he cherry pick 2011 to compare halibut average weights to? Anybody with a clue would know that SE was under a 37" or smaller limit, and thus the smaller average weight. Are his pals in 3a so hungry for business that he can't tell the whole story? SE AK also runs primarly combo charters too. Oh Medred, please get some information before you write these articles.

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post

Why does he cherry pick 2011 to compare halibut average weights to? Anybody with a clue would know that SE was under a 37" or smaller limit, and thus the smaller average weight..
    Uhhh, yeah, that's exactly what he says in his article: "Still, those fish were big compared to the 10-pound average for Southeast in 2011. That was the year the council, responding to a strong lobby of commercial fishing interests, imposed a limit in Southeast of one fish per day under 37 inches. Not only did that shrink the average sport-caught, charter halibut to salmon size, it reduced the catch to fewer than 40,000 fish, as many charter anglers simply stayed home."

Thanks for posting that, Fishin Dude. You beat me to it. Great article.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    Uhhh, yeah, that's exactly what he says in his article: "Still, those fish were big compared to the 10-pound average for Southeast in 2011. That was the year the council, responding to a strong lobby of commercial fishing interests, imposed a limit in Southeast of one fish per day under 37 inches. Not only did that shrink the average sport-caught, charter halibut to salmon size, it reduced the catch to fewer than 40,000 fish, as many charter anglers simply stayed home."

Thanks for posting that, Fishin Dude. You beat me to it. Great article.
    Dang, I must be losing my mind. Read that whole article a few hours ago and must have missed that.