Thread: Your Thoughts on "EDC" Sights/Lasers/Night Sights/etc.

Default Your Thoughts on "EDC" Sights/Lasers/Night Sights/etc.

The title say's enough. What are your thoughts.......???? NOT ABOUT THE FIREARM........Only Sighting thingies.

Hey hansum I got some good ones coming in for you...since Im havin a ***** gettin Hensoldts, we are now a distributor for...

Elcan!

Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
    Hey hansum I got some good ones coming in for you...since Im havin a ***** gettin Hensoldts, we are now a distributor for...

Elcan!
    Ken, I have always had a issue with the rear sight not being as wide of an opening as I like. Also I need the front sight to be a different shape than the rear. Three dots just sucks for me at night, even 3-dot night sights. I really want to know what is available.

I am looking hard at the crimson trace green laser. Or having "The Kid" two-lip end mill the rear opening.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Ken, I have always had a issue with the rear sight not being as wide of an opening as I like. Also I need the front sight to be a different shape than the rear. Three dots just sucks for me at night, even 3-dot night sights. I really want to know what is available.

I am looking hard at the crimson trace green laser. Or having "The Kid" two-lip end mill the rear opening.
    First off have you seen the eye doctor to help with the eyesight .Also i have a triple set up on the 1911 i carry for personal defense it has a low profile night sights with a crimson trace laser grips and surefire m200 model weapon light on it for my socalled daily carry with the basic fact it in the 21 yard mark i know i'm going to hit it ,

I went to the eye doctor to have my eyes checked along with having some retraining program to help me learn to use the sight because of the simple fact for my eyes are ok but eye glass does help with the small focusing of the sights on the target now days .

Lots of companies now make a wider (and some deeper) rear notch. Fewer, but still some, offer a single dot or bar UNDER the rear notch instead of the normal 3 dot horizontal arrangement. Heinie has sold his Straight 8 (two dots vertically) night sights for many years, and now has his Ledge model which allows one handed slide manipulation (with a wider rear notch as well, I believe).

GlockTalk has had many useful reviews of new sight systems over the past few years. Brownells catalog is always a good place to look and learn, but understand that many smaller and far more innovative companies are not in Brownells, and thus you won't see them if that is all you look at.

I don't know what Ken stocks at WWG, but if you rely on most local gun stores you will never know there is any choice beyond Trij, Mep, and Wilson (none of which are terribly cutting edge).

BTW, I agree that most sights do not have enough daylight between the front sight post and rear notch. That is why I looked beyond stocking gun stores.

Quote Originally Posted by scottr View Post
    Lots of companies now make a wider (and some deeper) rear notch. Fewer, but still some, offer a single dot or bar UNDER the rear notch instead of the normal 3 dot horizontal arrangement. Heinie has sold his Straight 8 (two dots vertically) night sights for many years, and now has his Ledge model which allows one handed slide manipulation (with a wider rear notch as well, I believe).

GlockTalk has had many useful reviews of new sight systems over the past few years. Brownells catalog is always a good place to look and learn, but understand that many smaller and far more innovative companies are not in Brownells, and thus you won't see them if that is all you look at.

I don't know what Ken stocks at WWG, but if you rely on most local gun stores you will never know there is any choice beyond Trij, Mep, and Wilson (none of which are terribly cutting edge).

BTW, I agree that most sights do not have enough daylight between the front sight post and rear notch. That is why I looked beyond stocking gun stores.

Thank You a very useful post..........what I was looking for.

Personally, I find horizontal 3 dot sights ok for daytime, but they suck at night. I much prefer a vertical orientation such as the Straight 8, or XS Big Dot type patterns. Problem is that none of these, to my knowledge, are available for slides which employ a staked front sight. They all require a Novak or similar dovetail to be cut, and I am loath to be without my .45 for the extended time it takes to have the smithing done.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Personally, I find horizontal 3 dot sights ok for daytime, but they suck at night. I much prefer a vertical orientation such as the Straight 8, or XS Big Dot type patterns. Problem is that none of these, to my knowledge, are available for slides which employ a staked front sight. They all require a Novak or similar dovetail to be cut, and I am loath to be without my .45 for the extended time it takes to have the smithing done.

Now........this is why you need 3 or 5 or more 1911's. I think I will have my Colt "Rail Gun" up graded

Default laser sights

checkout some of the lasers that www.wickedlasers.com sells. You will have to make a mount, but you can get away from those whimpy little 5mW jobs that are so hard to see.

Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

I have a C-More systems holo sight that I like but I don't know if it would work for your application. It works well in bright sunlight or dark.

Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post
    checkout some of the lasers that www.wickedlasers.com sells. You will have to make a mount, but you can get away from those whimpy little 5mW jobs that are so hard to see.
    They look powerful.