Thread: Inside Paneling Suggestions

Question Inside Paneling Suggestions

We've got a small cabin up on the Yentna and ght now it's insulated/vabor barrier decor. I'm wanting to find some fairly economical paneling for the inside. Considering the 3/8ths T-11 type, but I've seen and been told there is some cedar looking paneling sold by SBS that is similar in price. Now, the problem, I don't know what the name is and I'm in Texas until our next trip in May/June. One of our neighbors can haul it in this winter if I get it bought and to the Deshka Landing. Any suggestions on what this stuff might be or on what is good to use? Of course, I'd like to stay as light as possible for hauling. I just ran out of tiime last summer to get everything lined out.

Thanks.

Default Cabin Grade

I have seen it at SBS but would`nt buy it there.
    We did our whole interior withT & G cabin grade knotty pine they also had it in red cedar.
    4" x 5/16" thick in 8' lengths. Came in small bundles wraped in plastic and was real easy to handle. I put it over 3/8" plywood and its held up real good. Was real cheap at the time. I did the whole place for about $1000
    Attached Images Attached Images

That looks really nice, and something we might use for our "real" cabin. The one I'm working with now is 10x26, with the "living" area 10x16. We bought it advertised as a "shop". That's why I'm going to use a panel of some sort.

BTW, very nice trophy collection.

Try calling SBS, here is their web site: http://www.sbsalaska.com/ maybe the Biglake branch or Wasilla? I have seen the SBS trucks delivering to Deshka landing.
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

in the state seperated from the lower 48 by Canada

I am covering everything in my cabin with 1/2" ply wood double primed prior to hauling up. This will be painted for now and latter covered with T&G. The ply wood is a great temporary wall cover and will provide a solid base for any thickness of material, with slices anyplace on the surface, applied later. And at $18 for a 4 x 8 foot sheet very economical. I get double sheared walls out of the deal too.
    There are some 3/8" sheet goods out there that might work for you but I consider them too thin on a 16"oc stud construction. I have seen some folks use 4"oc T1-11 on walls...looks good when finished.

Neighbor finished interior with OSB and taped and filled in nail holes like sheet rock then painted it.I thought it woukd look bad but I was surprised it turned out very nice. He hit it with sander after first coat of water based paint.
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

Quote Originally Posted by otternorth View Post
    There are some 3/8" sheet goods out there that might work for you but I consider them too thin on a 16"oc stud construction.
    It's allowed for vertical orientation on 16" centers, but needs full perimeter nailing; some mid blocking helps as well. When you think about it, T-111 is 5/8", but then has all those grooves cut halfway through it- a chain is only as strong as its weakest link! The LP Smartside stuff is pure crap IMO; AC ply is probably the most versatile way to go.
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Quote Originally Posted by Redlander View Post
    We've got a small cabin up on the Yentna and ght now it's insulated/vabor barrier decor. I'm wanting to find some fairly economical paneling for the inside. Considering the 3/8ths T-11 type, but I've seen and been told there is some cedar looking paneling sold by SBS that is similar in price. Now, the problem, I don't know what the name is and I'm in Texas until our next trip in May/June. One of our neighbors can haul it in this winter if I get it bought and to the Deshka Landing. Any suggestions on what this stuff might be or on what is good to use? Of course, I'd like to stay as light as possible for hauling. I just ran out of tiime last summer to get everything lined out.

Thanks.
    I have used 4x8 paneling from SBS that was "cedar looking" as well. The finish face was actual knotty cedar planking with a sanded smooth face, and no grooves. Was fairly attractive stuff and looked quite nice with a thin coat of water based poly on it. Can't recall what it was called either tho, sorry. I would just call SBS and work it out over the phone.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by otternorth View Post
    I am covering everything in my cabin with 1/2" ply wood double primed prior to hauling up. This will be painted for now and latter covered with T&G. The ply wood is a great temporary wall cover and will provide a solid base for any thickness of material, with slices anyplace on the surface, applied later. And at $18 for a 4 x 8 foot sheet very economical. I get double sheared walls out of the deal too.
    There are some 3/8" sheet goods out there that might work for you but I consider them too thin on a 16"oc stud construction. I have seen some folks use 4"oc T1-11 on walls...looks good when finished.
    I agree with what he said. Just thin paneling will look real bad with out it having some thing under it. 1/2 cd plywood take some wood filler for the knots and voids and it can be made to look pretty darn good by it self with thin strips over the seams.

the cedar paneling at SBS is called brushed cedar