Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunting with semi-auto/AR platform . .

Default Hunting with semi-auto/AR platform . .

Need some help . . if this thread is redundant, point me in the right direction . .

How much hunting do you reckon is done up here with AR platform rifles?

With semi-auto rifles in general?

At what caliber does semi-auto become less viable/desirable?

Someone on another forum I frequent claims that hunting with semi-auto rifles/shotguns/pistols is outlawed in several US states?

Can anyone point me to or post some pictures of game with an AR platform rifle in the photo?

I'm looking for help posting on another, international forum where the great majority of members are very urban, know little about firearms, and less about hunting. Trying to make sure I don't post something stupid and mislead them.

Thanks,
    John

HI John, On Facebook, try Coyote hunting group, almost every picture is with an AR platform rifle, I have them in 223,9mm,45 apc,243 WSSM,6.8 SPC, 450 bushmaster, and 308. Each caliber can be used for different game, up to and including bears. I also do a lot of target shooting, fun to work up loads and get it to shoot 1/2" groupes at 100 yards. Some will even shoot better than I can hold. I also shoot competitive 3 gun shoots, both modern and cowboy action, using the old weapons. There is a lot of fun and friendships gained from these shooting outings.

It mightn't be a bad idea to do a sticky for folks to post pics of game taken with semi auto rifles, as I've run across the same kinda statements Marcus refers to. Having an easily accessible link of critters taken by those "black guns" would be a good display of their very legitimate use.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

I'll take a stab at it in blue.

Some- among my circle of friends mostly fur bearers and occasionally smaller big game like deer or caribou. A good friend is building a .450 Bushmaster and he may take it for larger game if it proves handy.

Same as above although one friend uses a Browning BAR in .338WM for everything.

In my opinion its not so much a caliber/cartridge issue as a weight and reliability issue- higher powered cartridges generally take a heavier/more complex mechanisms and semi autos are (generally) less reliable in field conditions than a bolt or lever action. When you get to the .300WM/.338WM there are only two commonly available semi autos- the BAR and the Benelli R1. In the .308 class you have the AR10 type but they typically weigh 10lbs. There have been a number of semi autos from Remington and Winchester in the .308/.3006 class, although they have a much smaller market share than those companies bolt action offerings.

Someone on another forum I frequent claims that hunting with semi-auto rifles/shotguns/pistols is outlawed in several US states?
    I believe semi auto rifles are prohibited for big game hunting in Pennsylvania or were at one time. I don't know of any state regulating semi auto shotguns. At least one state regulated semi auto handguns in the past (forget which one, but possibly IN).

Can anyone point me to or post some pictures of game with an AR platform rifle in the photo?

I don't have any, but I'm certain some will turn up or you could visit NSSF's website.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Here's one of Jake's (BRWNBR) kid.Attachment 67596
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Take a look at BRWNBR's retirement (from guiding) thread. He posted a picture in there of him and his son with a caribou taken with an AR. I don't use them myself, but some folks do.

Here is a predator hunting forum: http://www.predatormastersforums.com...06#Post1355906 that makes it a point to show AR's as a hunting platform.

I wish you well in educating the misguided and uninformed on the forum you mention.

Additionally, I have and use an AR in 5.56/223 for hunting, though I am yet to be successful in taking any game with it.

Ok, I'll take a stab at this in green. I'm no longer in Alaska but I have an AR platform hunting rifle in 308 that I use for deer and as it turned out a cougar last fall. I also have a very accurate Armalite target/varmint rifle that I use for coyote and those little furry digger dogs. My nephew who served two tours in Iraq and two in the poppy fields, is home now, and back to his hunting hobby and uses only the AR platform, particularly a civilian replica of the MK 11 (SR-25) he used to hunt pirates, and hunts deer and elk. He's one of those long range hunters and his short line is 400 yards. My 14 year old grandson has taken a few deer in in his short life and only with the AR platform rifle. I prefer the bolt gun because it is what I began hunting with and just enjoy the style and class of blue steel and walnut but I think the younger generation does hunt with the AR platform rifles much more than any other. It seems to be the rifle of their generation.

Well, some do prefer semi-autos for various reasons and I still know many hunters who use them. I had an uncle who served in WWII and only hunted with a Winchester Garand rifle. Mostly in the varmint hunting will we see it dominated with the AR rifles this primarily because the AR-15 is generally chambered in varmint caliber cartridges. (223, 204, 6.5, 6.8), even though these calibers are used for large game.

I suppose here you mean how large or at what point does it become impractical, for me I think of 338-08 (338 Federal) as the limit, not because we cannot chamber them larger but because the rifle becomes quite heavy above the 338 chamber. Here again there have been several big bore cartridges designed just for that platform rifle and they do very well the 50 Boewulf and 450 Bushmaster are a couple.

I don't think that's true. Generally just magazine capacity for semi-auto hunting for big game (deer, elk, etc), is limited to 5 or ten rounds depending on various state hunting laws. I don't know of any state where shotgun hunting is restricted to non semi-auto and I've hunted ducks in Delaware, Connecticut, Mass and New Jersey where many other aspects of guns are limited by state law. It may be restricted when hunting large game. Also as handgun hunting I've hunted with handguns in a dozen or so states and I don't remember reading any restriction about semi-auto but all do require minimum calibers. I hunted with a couple of Wildey pistols for years and they are large caliber semi-auto.

Probably the AR forum.

I'm looking for help posting on another, international forum where the great majority of members are very urban, know little about firearms, and less about hunting. Trying to make sure I don't post something stupid and mislead them.
    No offense Marcus, and admittedly I don't know what you know, but if you're trying to convince those less knowing about the hunting usefulness of the so called Modern Sporting Rifles, you may not be the one to ask. Some of us here have used that particular style of rifle, both in sport competition, hunting and around the globe as a warrior for decades and are much more familiar with that rifle than others. Again no offense and maybe this is more of your research and if so I commend you for that. I often find it difficult to lecture about a subject with which I have little or no actual experience, having only gained my knowledge via print or hear say. I began sport hunting with a semi-auto in 1972 with an M1 Garand. The AR varminter came later but not by much.

I've spent lots of time on the African continent, hunting and such, and in RSA, in particular their private ownership of firearms is restricted. Each person can own only five guns. They can own handguns for protection and semi-auto as well as full auto rifles if the full auto is for protection, no hunting. Of course every member of the household can own five and the teenagers, in gun households, own five also. Much of hunting for table fare by many farmers is with the semi-auto FAL or type 56 semi-auto AK and often today we encounter farmers and land owners hunting with semi-auto rifles..
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Thanks, guys . . .

The information helps, and I posted the picture of Jake's kid with the caribou over there.

Default Re: Hunting with semi-auto/AR platform . .

I'm currently putting together a .458 SOCOM for spring bear baiting. The upper fits on a standard AR lower and fits 10-rds into a standard 30-rd. mag. It is ballistically similar to the 45-70 and is very popular down south for hog hunting. Here is a pic I just found off an ar forum.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I'd rather be fishing!"

Here is an article about Pennsylvania's unique semi-auto hunting rifle ban- it dates back to 1907 so it precedes any of the so called "assault weapon stuff'.

Rifleshooter Magazine Article
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    Here is an article about Pennsylvania's unique semi-auto hunting rifle ban- it dates back to 1907 so it precedes any of the so called "assault weapon stuff'.

Growing up in Pa and hunting the state game lands on occasion I am kind of glad some of them guys cant hunt with semis....at least we had some time to duck between shots heading our direction...

Just about any modern gun/hunting magazine today has something AR-related in it.

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post

Pennsylvania is a funny state. Huge number of hunters and yet lots of restrictive laws. I don't think it applies now, but I do remember about 20 years ago their black powder season was restricted to round ball, flint lock, iron sights - and no peep sights!

Quote Originally Posted by GD Yankee View Post
    Pennsylvania is a funny state. Huge number of hunters and yet lots of restrictive laws. I don't think it applies now, but I do remember about 20 years ago their black powder season was restricted to round ball, flint lock, iron sights - and no peep sights!
    I do believe its still flintlock for the extended buck season. But the did give up the round ball...

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Just about any modern gun/hunting magazine today has something AR-related in it.
    Yeah- as much as I don't like the AR platform personally, the entire "no legitimate sporting use" argument is so full of holes as to be silly.

There are simply hundreds of thousands of these rifles in the hunting field so to say they don't belong there is kind of pointless.

Those *****ing tree hugging granola eating dipchits over on that forum don't care if they AR is a viable hunting platform... I have an AR for home protection I have a basic load of 210rds ready to go... Why you ask cause it is my god given right and I don't have to ask those granola eating clowns for their permission to own such a weapon. But I commend you trying to show those clowns the otherside...

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    Those *****ing tree hugging granola eating dipchits over on that forum don't care if they AR is a viable hunting platform... I have an AR for home protection I have a basic load of 210rds ready to go... Why you ask cause it is my god given right and I don't have to ask those granola eating clowns for their permission to own such a weapon. But I commend you trying to show those clowns the otherside...

Now, now, 323 . . there are some decent, intelligent people over there, but that said, there are some really, really hard-core, raging idiots as well. We only think the conversation gets rough here.

Anyway, my remarks, with you-guy's help, were aimed at those who would profit by them.

The rest of them, well . . 'nuff said . . .

Attachment 67607

Here is a link to a thread on Bennelli's forum I started. I used a R-1 semi auto for years when I started hunting here. I was fresh off a major back surgery and the semi autos recoil was much, much less than a bolt rifle. My 300 Win Mag R-1 has the recoil of a 243 bolt rifle. I killed sheep, bears, moose and caribou with it.

http://www.benelliusa.com/forum/show...-with-your-R-1
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast