Thread: Need some help troubleshooting, please.

Default Need some help troubleshooting, please.

I just ran my new jetboat for the first time and it ran great, got up on step quick and handled good.

Until I slowed down (came off step) to make a turn and ran it onto a submerged sandbar.

It sucked up a bunch of gravel before I could trim it up (heard it churning through the jet). Then after I got off the bar I went to punch it again and it vibrated weird like something was bent. It was fine at low RPM but everytime I throttled it up it would vibrate wierd.

When I got it out of the water I pulled about 3 good sized rocks out of the grate and the impeller is a little dinged but not bad. I took the bottom off at home to check it out and everthing looks OK to me.

So what was the vibrating all about?

Cavitation from the rocks and dings?

Wasn't trimmed right after I brought the motor up?

Any Ideas from the experienced guys would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Sounds like you still have a rock up inside of the impeller somewhere?

Default Jet

Sounds like you may have something in the impeller, the leading edge of the impeller is not smooth, and or the impeller's circumference is not large enough to touch the sleeve. Any or all together can cause this. Pull the unit apart and look for obstructions, file the leading edges smooth (or rebuild if needed) and shim the impeller to contact the sleeve.

Quote Originally Posted by skybust View Post
    Sounds like you still have a rock up inside of the impeller somewhere?

I did find a rock up there when I took it apart.

I'm just hoping that nothing is bent, how hard is it to bend a shaft.

I also filed the impellar (I've been reading this forum for awile), but I didn't file the leading edge smooth, I just filed above and below the leading edge smooth. Is that correct?

Dont think you bent anything from what you have stated. I had the same thing happen to me when I had a outboard. With my inboard if I suck a stick just the right way across the grate it will cause a vibration and you have to shut down so it will drop off. You should be fine. Chris

You need to see if the rocks you pulled out fixed the problem. When you go out again be sure to report back if the vibration is still there.

And... watch out for sandbars

You first lesson in jet boating! Rocks and jets love each other!

You also might want to think about preparing yourself a tool kit, so in case you have to take it apart in the field you will be able too.

Remember, if you don't suck up and blow out rocks once in a while, you'er not jetboating!! LOL Have fun and remember: The down river jet boat ALWAYS has the right of way!

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/